• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Describe Si more clearly

raz

Let's make this showy!
MBTI Type
LoLz
Yeah, I know exactly what you mean! My Si goes nuts around ENFPs, I start remembering all kinds of stupid crap.

And there you go again!

There has to be a difference between the Se attention to detail and the Si attention to detail. Look at Jennifer's example earlier with her ESFP son. He noticed SO many details in his surroundings. I don't think that's restricted to nature walks. Wouldn't that also apply to a detail attentiveness in, say, accounting?

Someone with Se can spot details. However, as someone with Si, I'm better at recalling details. Seeing details and remembering details are two different things.

For instance, an ISTP has Ti/Se. They take in detailed information about their surroundings through their perceptive Sensing, but focus on Ti to sort it out. That's backwards, I know, since Ti is dominant. Si focuses more on remembering details, and then using Te to structure the Si user's world. That would mean they'd prefer a job where they are required to remember a lot of details, but are then asked to provide logical structure to something. Those are two varying approaches to the same field, accounting.

Jack Flak

Permabanned
MBTI Type
type
There has to be a difference between the Se attention to detail and the Si attention to detail. Look at Jennifer's example earlier with her ESFP son. He noticed SO many details in his surroundings. I don't think that's restricted to nature walks. Wouldn't that also apply to a detail attentiveness in, say, accounting?

Someone with Se can spot details. However, as someone with Si, I'm better at recalling details. Seeing details and remembering details are two different things.

For instance, an ISTP has Ti/Se. They take in detailed information about their surroundings through their perceptive Sensing, but focus on Ti to sort it out. That's backwards, I know, since Ti is dominant. Si focuses more on remembering details, and then using Te to structure the Si user's world. That would mean they'd prefer a job where they are required to remember a lot of details, but are then asked to provide logical structure to something. Those are two varying approaches to the same field, accounting.
You got all your ideas locked in and set for life, do you? Well Wham-O! Here's the socionics function description which instead describes the type you are (ISTj, aka LSI) as using Ti+Se! And of course they do an excellent job. It's a madcap circus of mayhem!

INTJMom

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Excellent point.

raz

Let's make this showy!
MBTI Type
LoLz
So, did I just come to a conclusion on my own that was already made by socionics, then?

Jack Flak

Permabanned
MBTI Type
type
So, did I just come to a conclusion on my own that was already made by socionics, then?
No.

I was making the ever-lovely point that you can use the same function to describe anyone if you want to.

If you really think about it, more than Myers did, you'll realize that STJs are more interested in Thinking Judgments than any kind of Sensing. SPs are more interested in sensing, and it makes perfect "sense," too.

To make my point absoultely clear: "I think Ti-Se is a better functional description of ISTJ than Si-Te, but I think T-S is better still, as in my function system."

Amargith

Hotel California
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4dw
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
So in light of all this..what would be a good way of training Si. For instance that memory game where you have to find the card that's exactly like the one you're holding? Any other examples?

Jack Flak

Permabanned
MBTI Type
type
So in light of all this..what would be a good way of training Si. For instance that memory game where you have to find the card that's exactly like the one you're holding? Any other examples?
I haven't seen anything to lead me to believe functions themselves can be trained. Specific skills, yes.

Memory tricks can be learned, of course, and practiced.

Amargith

Hotel California
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4dw
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Maybe training is the wrong word, but I take it that to develop a function properly, you need to use it, yes? I'm asking coz supposedly Si is my 4th function and (yes I know you do not necessarily believe this stuff) using it supposedly is a healthy way of dealing with stress...I figured I'd try it out :)

Jack Flak

Permabanned
MBTI Type
type
Maybe training is the wrong word, but I take it that to develop a function properly, you need to use it, yes? I'm asking coz supposedly Si is my 4th function and (yes I know you do not necessarily believe this stuff) using it supposedly is a healthy way of dealing with stress...I figured I'd try it out :)
I don't know...A person can't help but decide things based on emotion and logic, and perceive the world around them. We do it all the time, so I don't see how you could increase their use. If you try to work on something like Sensing, by skiing for example, I think you're going to learn a lot more about skiing than using your senses.

Amargith

Hotel California
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4dw
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I understand your point. So how do you become more balanced in your type? :)

Jack Flak

Permabanned
MBTI Type
type
I understand your point. So how do you become more balanced in your type? :)
Get older, know people, work, play. It's hard not to balance. I'm in the process of reversing it now though, by living in my mind just like the good old days. ;)

Amargith

Hotel California
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4dw
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
So you're fighting the maturing process?

Amargith

Hotel California
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4dw
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
LOL, debating me must be a push-over for you. I couldn't agree more :)

Jack Flak

Permabanned
MBTI Type
type
LOL, debating me must be a push-over for you. I couldn't agree more :)
You, specifically? Oh, I love conversations with intelligent and perceptive folks like yourself. There's a rewarding reciprocity to it, which is a bit LACKING when you're dealing with an idiot. (Not that I've ever dealt with an idiot before, and especially not on the internet, let alone this forum. Naturally.)

Amargith

Hotel California
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4dw
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
LOL, that sounded an aweful lot like a disclaimer :devil:

Siúil a Rúin

when the colors fade
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
And there you go again!

That clarifies things. Si is an interesting function because it has to do with internalizing the external, concrete world. It has a stabilizing quality as well.

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
I guess it rather scares me away than it does stabilize me :D