User Tag List

First 45678 Last

Look at it this way.

Your main function is something that totally defines you.
    You think that everyone can do it just like you can, but that is just a side efect of watching from subjective position.

For example I could not understand what Ni is. Descriptions did ring some bells but I could not see it. Plus Ni is probably the most illusive and abstract function of them all.

On the other hand I have very well developed Te and I am quite J. Te is hard to miss, actually it is impossible to miss it.

But with time I have come to understanding that the "bastard "is invisible almost all the time and it is invisible since it is introverted function and it is not all about what ideas/information will I get. It also about the way my thoughts will be created in the first place. So the "show" goes since I was a baby and it was hard to pinpoint something that is always there. I mean always as always.
    With time I have learned that I can do things with my mind that are out of reach for other people (at least this is how it looks like)

Maybe I am wrong but this is how I see it and I presume that similar story is with Si. Probably it is easier to detect it since it is more earthly, but I think that trick is same.

MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so

Antisocial One, I agree with you. The most difficult thing about finding Si is that it's an introverted perceiving function (the two of these are Ni and Si), so like you said it deals with how your mind takes in information. Add to this the fact that since it's my strongest function, I've always had it working, it's hard to actually see it there.

Still, I would feel more sure of it if I had more verifiable evidence. That's all I'm saying.

And this thread is about describing Si, so I'm trying to dig out whatever I can find.
    You can't spell "justice" without ISTJ.

MBTI
    LoLz

I've come to think of each thread as just ongoing conversations that might derail for a few minutes until someone says, "FOCUS PLEASE!"

Isn't that a wonderful situation: you are S and you main function is totally ethereal.

MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so

Quote Originally Posted by Antisocial one View Post
    Isn't that a wonderful situation: you are S and you main function is totally ethereal.
    I know! That's the wonderful problem! I love the struggle, in a certain way.

MBTI
    LoLz

Isn't that a wonderful situation: you are ISJ and you main function is totally ethereal.
    Correction. ^^

He could be S and have a main function of T or F.

So, can it be assumed that Si is the function that we find recharges us? After something that's drains us of energy, what do we look to do?

I'd have to say that I want to do something that I know to be revitalizing. I want it to be something that I know to be enjoyable and not draining. If I need to take a break from something, I look for something I'm used to, and I know will be comfortable.

Take for instance, right now. I'm sitting in the student lounge reading Gifts Differing. I love the book, and I want to finish it, but I have to take breaks every little bit. Just now, I looked over and saw a table with a bunch soda bottles and a cooler. Instantly I thought of when I was in Wal-Mart earlier and saw people buying Thanksgiving food. That thought lasted a half second. Then, I thought about Thanksgiving coming up, and the meal I'll have with my family.

My next thoughts were, "It'll be really relaxing to have a Thanksgiving meal. It's familiar." In all that's been going on in my life, I'm looking forward to it because it's something that I can expect to be comfortable. That's if my family doesn't find something to argue over.

That's just what I mean and I think what Jennifer meant. It governs things familiar. It's why new situations are difficult for us.

Take for instance, if I were planning to go out after work. Let's say I were going out with someone I just met a few days ago. We're going to a restaurant I haven't been to before. That's a lot of newness. That's not something I'd think of as rejuvenating, although it's an experience that I willingly wanted to partake in. I'd be thinking about the amount of processing of the events that night I'd be doing afterward.

Question

How skilled are you when it comes to music? (I have seen the picture)

That requires a lot of Si from logical perspective.

Sorry raz but that was a sarcasm.

MBTI
    LoLz

Sorry raz but that was a sarcasm.
    ???

You've lost me.

MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so

Raz, that makes sense to me. That's partly why I started this thread when I did: I was looking for a break from all those ISTJ Relationship threads we've been doing lately. They were fun to think through, but I wanted to go back to more familiar grounds. Si and "comfortable" go hand-in-hand to me. Of course, it's going to make more sense to us that way than to others.

Anti, well, my music teachers back in grade school all said I had a "gift" for understanding music. The people in my band (both school band and out-of-school) think I have that "talent" too. Music theory really works well for my Si-Te combination, as it puts my inner impressions of the notes and tones (Si?) into a working system (Te).

What I'm not good at is making up my own music. I really struggle with that, and those same people mentioned above are surprised by the obvious gap. So it's not all easy sailing for me, I have some big obstacles.