User Tag List

First 23456 Last

MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so

Quote Originally Posted by Skyward
    From what I can tell, I use Si when I right and spell. Its common for people to ask themselves 'does this look right?' when they spell something, I think this is Si.
    That's along the lines of what I'm thinking. And I am good at that kind of thing! So maybe there's some truth to this after all.

Quote Originally Posted by raz1337 View Post
    It's like everything has a memory attached to it.
    Maybe, but I don't realize this stuff consciously most of the time. That's what makes this function so difficult to pinpoint. I'd only know for sure if it happened to me, and then I could tell you at that time....<---Interestingly enough, is that Si working there? When you experience something, you see if it feels familiar to something that's happened before? Sounds like what we've been talking about.

---------

I think I do this with music as well. Having a "good ear" for music, like knowing how two notes "sound" together and being able to distinguish them after hearing them. I say "that harmony is a major third, I can tell." Sure, it's related to the extraverted sensing, but that linking it with something in your memories is introverted sensing. They are two sides of the same process.
    Last edited by Cimarron; 11-25-2008 at 02:04 AM. Reason: another quote
    You can't spell "justice" without ISTJ.

MBTI
    INFJ

What kind of Si are you using when you spell write wrong?
    Proud Female Rider in Maverick's Bike Club.

MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so

Quote Originally Posted by Jae Rae View Post
    What kind of Si are you using when you spell write wrong?
    Yeah, seriously, Skyward.

MBTI
    INTp
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII None

Quote Originally Posted by Eric B View Post
    For me, Si is relief, in which I have a strong nostalgic sense, but I've been having a lot of memory problems as well, particularly in more serious areas. It's probably distraction, rushing, and just Ne beingmore preferred, which keeps pointing me every which direction. I think it's also a bit relief Si's shadow, Trickster Se, where I misperceive the here and now, and then get remembrances wrong from that, or things don't even go into my memory for Si to reference.
    The 'role relief' aspect of Si and experiencing it in that almost signature 'child-like' 'innocent' way, & its expression in a similar manner is indeed comforting in seeming fleeting moments almost and yet the near laterally introduced 'concreteness' by the combination of Si & the inferior Fe brings about greater maturity related stability to balance the combination of Ne led by Ti generated plethora of possibilities and their seeming probabilities.

so is complementarity perhaps the best natural route to maturity? by best I don't mean easiest, but rather the most realistic one thats true to life as whole and across all kinds of people etc.
    The answer must be in the attempt
    avy url : natgeocreative Photo

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Cimarron View Post
    We've had a lot of discussion about what the Sensing factor is (S vs. N), but we haven't had much discussion at all about the specific Si function (Introverted Sensing). We often hear that it is "memory of details" or something similar. But we all remember details, don't we? So I hope to explore this in more depth.

Here is basically the only mention of Si I found after searching these boards:

Apparently, Si is my strongest function, and I'm not even sure when I'm using it.
    Look at the colour in the photograph.
    The original colour is the complemantary partner of the colour we see.
    Why?

Who turns the colour around?
    We do.
    Why?

You have a read sweater.
    In the original photograph it is green.
    Why?

A specific green colour brings about a specific red colour.
    Where?
    In the location of the specific green colour.

What is the common bond between Si and Ne?
    It is the location.

Is there other common bond?
    No.

What is the significance of the location?

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Cimarron View Post
    ... is still not as clear. The only way you would know what "chairs are like" is with experiences with chairs in the past, built up over time. I guess that's what you were saying--past experiences, supposedly the source of Si--but I'm not really aware of an "internal picture of the world" as Joe Butts is. I mean, I assume things will be the way they've always been, until something changes, then that becomes the new assumption. But it couldn't be otherwise, could it? You can have doubt, guessing that events may not be the same, but don't we all subconsciously "expect" them to be the same when under similar conditions?
    I don't think it's clear what Se is like here.

I went walking in the woods with my ESFP son (Se primary), and I was amazed at how much he noticed. Because I didn't.

I feel like I'm very perceptive in some ways, but mostly that comes down to how I make connections between things -- and because I'm making connections, I'm not experiencing raw data unless I am actively telling myself, "Okay, go into 'soak it in' mode." It is not my natural mode.

I was getting dizzy with all the things he was seeing and point out as we walked, and he was amazingly good at noticing wildlife and other things we were almost stepping on, things I just didn't even notice... when I was TRYING to notice them.

This is raw Se. He was soaking it in. He had experience with and ideas about trees, frogs, ants, rocks, moss, grass, sky, sun, and all of that, assuredly... but he wasn't referencing the INNER collection/compilation of each of those items, he was taking in raw data and responding to it.

This makes it hard for him sometimes to categorize a sensation experience appropriately, he tends to deal with each singly as a unique example... if he does categorize at all. Normally he's focused more on the live active Now experience.

Si is very good at taking all these raw streams of data and creating an inner perception/collection of the points that it prioritizes. If it likes frogs, it will collect lots of frog data. And, like with the chair, it creates an inner image/memory of a frog that is referenced when new frogs are noticed or the word "frog" is brought up. This "ideal frog" or "image of the frog" stands in for the real image. [This makes it hard, btw, for Si types to deal with change; they're just seeing that inner image, not the raw reality, and it's painful for them to have to recast the image quickly. It leaves everything feeling unstable.]

Because an external data flow does not exist for itself, it only exists to trigger an inward cascade of thoughts that the Si person values. (This is the way with all MBTI introverts, basically -- the external world is being used as a catalyst for inner processes dealing with data that is of importance to the person). Introverts with a Pe secondary are definitely locked into an external data stream, but it's still just being used to feed the inner primary process (a judging function), which are of main importance.

Extroverted people will think "outside" their head and deal with raw data much more, especially Se types. They tend to be connected to raw data so much that they don't categorize/generalize that data as well (I think) if there is any matter of interpretation that has to go on.

is that more specific?
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so

I know my question may have sounded a little pushy, so I appreciate your thoughtful response. Even though I've already agreed that it's hard to catch yourself "using" Si (or Ni, similarly), that's where my frustration is. Either I don't use it much at all, or I use it much more than I realize, which makes sense because of Si's nature. That's why I'm trying to sort through memories of thought processes to find a good example.

People often describe this process as untraceable. If I can trace an "Si moment" back to its source and explain how it came about, it's still Si, right? I guess it should be, it's just that the "tracing" part is a different function helping me explore the Si.
    Last edited by Cimarron; 11-25-2008 at 09:11 AM. Reason: context; another thought

MBTI
    INTJ

What kind of things do you remember and repeat to other people?
    Sports statistics?
    Trivia?
    Jokes?

MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so

Quote Originally Posted by INTJMom View Post
    What kind of things do you remember and repeat to other people?
    Sports statistics?
    Trivia?
    Jokes?
    I don't know, it's hard to say. Things that come to mind are:

Lines from T.V. shows.
    Numbers, like the values of math constants.
    Historical dates.
    Looking at a word once and probably remembering from there on out how to spell it.

Most of that could fall under trivia or jokes, I guess.

*This is fun, but let's stay on topic. I know it likely will be, but just to be sure.

MBTI
    LoLz

That example of Se is a good one, Jennifer. It makes me think of yesterday when I was at the library with my ENFJ friend. She actually has Se as third function. When I walked over to an aisle with her to show her some books, she told me to stop suddenly, and not to touch the thing on the shelf. She said, "Don't you dare pick up that roach!" She was pointing exactly where it was, and I stood there for seriously 15 seconds looking ALL over the area she was pointing, and it took me that long to find it. It was on top of a book. I was standing there thinking, "How can I be so blind?"

The way I was looking for it was scanning by layers. I looked over each book in the general area. Then I looked over each shelf. Then I looked around each book until I finally found it.

INTJMom, all I can really answer to that is specific things. I hate sports, I find random trivia pointless, and my jokes are really sarcasm. One specific example I can think of is when I worked at a fast food restaurant. I had worked at the register so much that I had memorized the prices of 90% of our foods. At that restaurant, when I was working on the drive-thru, I'd have to cook some things while taking orders. Many times, when someone ordered things, I'd remember the prices of each thing, add it up in my head, and then tell them the total. My manager was just shocked when he saw me do that.

Now working at my department store, it actually bothers me a lot that I can't memorize the prices as much as I could there. They change all the time. The only thing similar to that that gets me going is when customers ask me "What is X percent off of Y?" I just figure it out in my head. In my first 6-9 months working, I learned how to find out people's sizes, and I started memorizing sizes of clothes and their conversions.

I was actually a little afraid of myself when I was doing returns for customers. They'd give me their driver's license, and after putting in their information, I'd have it memorized. It was the same if a situation called for me to take their social security number a few times. I'd be telling myself, "That is NOT something you're supposed to remember!"