User Tag List

First 12345 Last

MBTI
    infj
    Enneagram
    9w1

This is actually quite useful for me on a 'type finding' standpoint. It explains a lot that the introverted perceiving functions are more 'hardwired' into the core psyche than other types.

Its a new insight that helps me narrow down type choices (And that studying functions on other sites isn't as good as reading posts about the same topic here )

From what I can tell, I use Si when I right and spell. Its common for people to ask themselves 'does this look right?' when they spell something, I think this is Si.

I can't remember things without some sort of reaction agent, like something in a conversation might suddenly spark a memory of something that happened soooo long ago. But I could never remember it consciously.

While typing: I just suddenly remembered playing a videogame when I was real little and living in a different house, all I really 'see' is the game and my hands - this led to a memory of my first bout of bad dehydration. I'll cut this off before I get mental diarrhea and dump all over this post.

Si can also be something that makes a person 'comfortable' with something. Like a friend always seems to call randomly during the day, at first it's annoying but now its almost routine. When they stop you feel there's a void 'what happened?'

/ramble

Banned
    MBTI
    type

Quote Originally Posted by Cimarron View Post
    Apparently, Si is my strongest function, and I'm not even sure when I'm using it.
    Si=Memory.

Note: I don't subscribe to the business of Myers' function order, however.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    548 sp/sx
    Socionics
    INTj

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    i think with ISTJ vs ISFJ, the ISTJ is impersonal about it -- life is more supposed to fit together efficiently and exactly, and the personal elements are often disregarded or subsumed. ISFJs express their Si through Fe, so they really do want to be finding and filling needs, and they are definitely far more interested in the practical personal aspects of the conflict. So you will get more sympathy out of them, even if their bottom line is still "suck it up, princess; do your duty."
    That's whhat I figured. But I guess as Si dom. they would then be somewhat inbetween ISTJ and ESFJ with that?

The more intellectualized the description gets, the harder it is for the SJ, I think. It's got to be practical, relevant, and placed in context of their own lives, with lots of real-example analogy. N's will much more easily grasp an intuitive idea.
    I would have thought that would be the F, in her case.
    Plus... resistance, again, to anything that runs against what has been established, unless it can be justified (for the ESJ).
    That's what was trying to explain to her. She is only familiar with the APS (the FIRO-based system I talk about), and thinks I've gone way overboard with "all this other silly stuff". (i.e., the functions, and trying to identify every interaction in terms of them.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    What do you mean by that, exactly?

N people CAN have good memories. (Mine was superb when I was younger -- now, not so hot.)

The thing is that N people run off and explore abstract implications far more readily and instinctively than S people. They're less interested in data than the ramifications of the data.

Si people have very sharp memories for the things they prioritize, whether it's sports data, people's important dates, car information, or whatever else. My ISFJ mom was an RN for 40 years. Within the confines of her work she could rattle off very specific dosing amounts for numerous medications; she terrified me mainly sometimes because she couldn't apply the information well to new situations, if anything changed she became rattled. For someone who doesn't put information together well, I am still amazed at how many details she recalls... if the details are of value to her. (N's, I've seen, tend to accumulate a lot of data in many areas, not just one's of priority; anything "new and interesting" is a priority. They also tend to store just the key data and reconstruct other data from it, rather than storing it all.)

S people focus very clearly on data -- both the raw information, as well as what that data has meant for them in past experience. Si people in particular tend to accumulate a lot of past data based on their priorities to build a picture of the world inside of them that they then reference.

Joe Butts described Si as being not the raw experience of a chair but the idea of a chair inside one's mind that has been constructed. So unless specific care is focused on the external world, usually what gets seen is the "chair image" -- "what the chair should be, as all chairs are." Se people are much more apt to see "what is" and deal with that.
    For me, Si is relief, in which I have a strong nostalgic sense, but I've been having a lot of memory problems as well, particularly in more serious areas. It's probably distraction, rushing, and just Ne beingmore preferred, which keeps pointing me every which direction. I think it's also a bit relief Si's shadow, Trickster Se, where I misperceive the here and now, and then get remembrances wrong from that, or things don't even go into my memory for Si to reference.

I'm wondering now if strong Si can appear as Ti with some technical things. I was recently trying to complete a network setup (to get a Vista laptop to see the desktops running XP, and I kept forgetting settings I changed, and where to find them. So then it wound up being disconnected from the network altogether, and we had to get a friend, who I believe is ISTJ, who is good with taking things apart and figuring out how they work, and putting things together (she puts all our shelves and computers and stuff together). I felt bad, because I'm the one who's supposed to have the dominant Ti. But I think my problem was both memory (made worse by rushing), as well as patience, which she has for those things. If I could remember better, then my Ti would more easily internalize what I figure out in exploring the system.

I asked her, with brief descriptions (she knows nothing about MBTI) and she seems to have good Te and Ti use, and attributes it to being alone as a child and learning how to do those things. I assumed she was ISTJ in the first place because she tested in APS as a pure Melancholy Compulsive, which would fit Chart the Course and Guardian, and is as Melancholic as one can get. Not INTP and I doubt ISTP (which is actually part Sanguine). Though her house is messy, and she is the "messy J" I sometimes mention in those discussions. She does seem very SJ otherwise, seems to want closure, and is definitely IT.
    APS Profile: Inclusion: e/w=1/6 (Supine) |Control: e/w=7/3 (Choleric) |Affection: e/w=1/9 (Supine)
    Ti 54.3 | Ne 47.3 | Si 37.8 | Fe 17.7 | Te 22.5 | Ni 13.4 | Se 18.9 | Fi 27.9

Temperament (APS) from scratch -- MBTI Type from scratch
    Type Ideas

MBTI
    infj
    Enneagram
    9w1

Note: I don't subscribe to the business of Myers' function order, however.
    I doubt Si is as simple as 'Memory.'

On a more debatory note:

Memory is what you remember definitely. A lot of an ISJ's Si is subconscious or in snippets and not really seen 'directly' as INTJMom described in her friend.

Granted the most basic term for Si -is- memory... you cant really describe it that way to an Si, we don't brainstorm as well as you Nes!

( Ne is 'Oh you see the dancing elephants too!? ' and Ni is 'I'm in your head! Hahahahah! Dammittinfoilhat' and Se is: () )

Banned
    MBTI
    type

Quote Originally Posted by Skyward View Post
    I doubt Si is as simple as 'Memory.'

Granted the most basic term for Si -is- memory... you cant really describe it that way to an Si, we don't brainstorm as well as you Nes!
    Why do you think I disagree with function order? Because it doesn't make any blasted sense. When you define Si as "How ISTJs think," which actually is how many people define functions, you're redefining it.

Dali

I was recently in a group that had to do a really hard, incredibly jumbled-up (no other way I can describe it) school project. There were 8 of us in the group and most were brainstorming almost absurdly on how to structure it. There was an ISTJ girl that was part of the group and she was almost completely quiet for the for the first 20 mins and then, she spoke up and when she was done speaking, we were all just about ready to bow down to her. She had taken every single aspect of the project, mentally assessed it against criteria some of us had long forgotten (dating back to our first or second year. We're currently final year students), organised it as easily as though the various parts of the project were numbered and then laid it out in a way everyone could understand.

On a slightly related note, the highest achieving student in most classes I've been in since my primary schooling has been an ISTJ.

MBTI
    infj
    Enneagram
    9w1

Why do you think I disagree with function order? Because it doesn't make any blasted sense. When you define Si as "How ISTJs think," which actually is how many people define functions, you're redefining it.
    I agree with you on how function order is weird. I just forgot to say it in my last post. Besides, there are 4 more functions, only using 4 is just looking at the skeleton of a personality.

And its this thread that showed me that Si is beyond 'how ISTJs think' and more 'How things feel in the gut compared to the past.' With the latter statement, I can compare to very well. I just don't think I have a powerful Si memory like others do, mine is fairly vague.

Banned
    MBTI
    type

Quote Originally Posted by Skyward View Post
    I agree with you on how function order is weird. I just forgot to say it in my last post. Besides, there are 4 more functions, only using 4 is just looking at the skeleton of a personality.
    If it weren't the wrong skeleton, I wouldn't have a problem with it.
    And its this thread that showed me that Si is beyond 'how ISTJs think' and more 'How things feel in the gut compared to the past.'
    Has it now. *walks away like the guy at the end of the game Fallout*

MBTI
    LoLz

Could Si be why I place so much value on my iPod? I've collected a good amount of music, movies, tv shows over the years. The most important ones, I have on my iPod. I'd go crazy if I lost all of them. It's like everything has a memory attached to it. If I look at a song on my playlist, I can remember exactly where I got it from.

MBTI
    infj
    Enneagram
    9w1

If I look at a song on my playlist, I can remember exactly where I got it from.
    I don't have the exactifiable memory you do, but its the same with me and my music. I have so much of it that if I lost the computer it all is on I would break down, since it would take so long to get everything back again.