User Tag List

First 123 Last

Banned
    MBTI
    type

Quote Originally Posted by Qre:us View Post
    Who knows....

...do you?
    I haven't been wrong lately in my internet type-jobs. It would make me feel mortal at least if I'm wrong this time.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Flak View Post
    I haven't been wrong lately in my internet type-jobs. It would make me feel mortal at least if I'm wrong this time.
    One day I shall let ya know if them wax wings of yers melts.

Banned
    MBTI
    type

One day I shall let ya know if them wax wings of yers melts.
    *bows; winks at audience*

Quote Originally Posted by Apollanaut View Post
    I´ll have a go at answering your interesting questions. According to NLP (Neuro-Linguistic Programming - a type of alternative psychology with very practical and powerful applications) - mind and body are one system.

Therefore it isn´t possible to entirely separate our cognitive processes from our physiological and behavioural responses. NLP training (which I have undergone) teaches you how to refine your perceptual skills to the point where you can tell a great deal about a person´s thought processes from simply observing subtle eye movements, posture and skin tone, for example.
    Interesting! Thanks for this new thought - NLP, gotta look into what it is a bit more before I can fully comment cuz I've never heard of it.

But, it assumes that the mind are body are one system? And, we can't separate cognitive processes from our physiological and behavioural responses?

Um...

What do you think of cognitive dissonance?

I would suggest that we feel most comfortable and congruent with ourselves, when we act in accordance with our innate MBTI type.
    This assumes that we are tapping into and truly measuring our innate MBTI type, because of the previous assumption that behaviour cannot be separated from cognition, which, we, as originally said, is, as with any theory, contingent upon certain 'assumptions'.

And, on and on it goes.

For example, I know that I struggle desperately with trying to use Extraverted Thinking in any sort of coherent or efficient way. This can put me at a severe disadvantage in the modern workplace, which places a high value on Te-based skills. I have learned to compensate using my auxiliary Fe, by basically asking other people for help (or simply copying their work) when I get stuck in a Te-rut.

Is this the sort of thing you were thinking about?
    I don't know what I was thinking about...just a grain of thought. We'll see where we go with it. Thanks for your line of thought.

*Fe is pretty pimp in getting others to agree to ride along on one's own joyride.

Yeah, that's what the tests do.
    Just settin' the stage for the coming argument, so we don't mince base understandin'.

Nah, all functions are going to do is fill your brain with Hokum that's very hard to remove once it's in there. I warn you, but you won't listen.
    Speak to my personality and I may get ya.

What we do which is observable defines us.
    Maybe....
    What we are which cannot be analyzed is a bit beyond the scope of psychological study, right?
    Maybe not. What we are which cannot be analyzed...YET

cuz..maybe...we haven't thought to analyze it *that* way yet, maybe we aren't looking at the 'right' thing to analyze, depends...

on who you ask.

We can work under the assumption that people do what they are driven to do. How else are you going to go about it?
    People may very well do exactly the OPPOSITE of what they are driven to do...if their motivation is such that they must test/challenge their basic drive.

...um...maybe.

That's the question, isn't it. But it's more of an academic concern than a practical one.
    Academic concern is mutually exclusive to a practical one?

The behavior is already out there, which can be used to classify and understand people.
    What we read from the behaviour, how we interpret what a behaviour means, given different contexts, may be up for debate.

You didn't just figure that out. Most people know that to be any one type means more than the four preferences.
    I felt, as a newbie, to fit in and all that jazz, and not get stuffed in the locker, that, it bore a repetition. And, to point out that regardless of our supposed understanding of this point, we still can't help but type, often, in circumstances when typing maybe cannot be logically and rationally possible.

There've been a lot of new ENFPs lately.

Banned
    MBTI
    type

People may very well do exactly the OPPOSITE of what they are driven to do...if their motivation is such that they must test/challenge their basic drive.

...um...maybe.
    Yes they do, and the painful undertone of the fakery is usually there to be picked up on by a trained eye.
    Academic concern is mutually exclusive to a practical one?
    In this case, I think they compete. When people come up with theories which aren't necessarily based on reality (Such as the silly, silly business of functions to tertiary/inferior and beyond), people take it as fact and go wrong on a regular basis. Which is very impractical.

What we read from the behaviour, how we interpret what a behaviour means, given different contexts, may be up for debate.
    Experience and, well, "mental capacity" are the most important factors here. You have to be able to tell the difference between natural and unnatural, forced behavior.
    I felt, as a newbie, to fit in and all that jazz, and not get stuffed in the locker, that, it bore a repetition. And, to point out that regardless of our supposed understanding of this point, we still can't help but type, often, in circumstances when typing maybe cannot be logically and rationally possible.
    Lol, read this: http://www.typologycentral.com/forum...ions-mbti.html

In this case, I think they compete. When people come up with theories which aren't necessarily based on reality (Such as the silly, silly business of functions to tertiary/inferior and beyond), people take it as fact and go wrong on a regular basis. Which is very impractical.
    And how does one determine what is truly based in reality verses what isn't? Proficiency of applicability? Test, re-test reliability? Other forms of reliability? Validity of instrument?

How do you think these typological tools come up against these testing? (hint: Mama said knock you out)

Banned
    MBTI
    type

And how does one determine what is truly based in reality verses what isn't? Proficiency of applicability? Test, re-test reliability? Other forms of reliability? Validity of instrument?

How do you think these typological tools come up against these testing? (hint: Mama said knock you out)
    Lol, instruments. I just use my brain. Let me give you an example. If you know about the Jungian functions this will be easier.

Take someone you know, like say, an ISTJ, whose "function order" should be Si-Te-Fi-Ne, I think. Now switch all of the directions, and jumble them up, so it's Ti, Fe, Ni, Se. And you'll be able to write an essay on just how this new function order is better than the old one. Confirmation bias is the key phrase. When I think about the way Myers applied Jung's functions to her Temperament system, it makes me want to cry, because it's so wrong, and so many people went along with it.

I haven't done experiments and recorded data, and I don't have statistics to show you, but I can show you where I have found mistakes, or a better way, and you might think it makes sense. Who knows?

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

I haven't done experiments and recorded data, and I don't have statistics to show you, but I can show you where I have found mistakes, or a better way, and you might think it makes sense. Who knows?
    Go on then. Where are the mistakes?

(I have to give you a hard time because apparently, we are too gentle with you)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    Gosh, the world looks so small from up here on my high horse of menstruation.

Banned
    MBTI
    type

Quote Originally Posted by bluemonday View Post
    Go on then. Where are the mistakes?

(I have to give you a hard time because apparently, we are too gentle with you)
    That's enough outta you, blue! Read all of my posts, and if you have any questions, I'll be here.