User Tag List

123 Last

Default Hypotheses on self-dislike and type

I believe that if we were to conduct a poll of a large sample size on people who have gone through a self-discovery process of their MBTI type, that the highest incidence of the number of people who dislike themselves or wanted to be/have a different personality would be highest in the INPs, followed closely by ISFs.

In general, I believe that informative types (SFs, NPs) will have higher incidence of self-dislike and desire for a different personality than directive types (STs, NJs). Also, the incidence of this preference will be higher in general for Introverts than Extroverts.

Anybody know of studies related to these hypotheses?

Any thoughts in general about these hypotheses?

EDIT:By "incidence," I mean, (# of people reporting self-dislike identifying themselves as a particular type)/(# of people identifying themselves as that type)

Accept the past. Live for the present. Look forward to the future.
    Robot Fusion
    "As our island of knowledge grows, so does the shore of our ignorance." John Wheeler
    "[A] scientist looking at nonscientific problems is just as dumb as the next guy." Richard Feynman
    "[P]etabytes of [] data is not the same thing as understanding emergent mechanisms and structures." Jim Crutchfield

MBTI
    ENTP

Extraverts simply externalize their unhappiness and project it onto other people as the cause.
    "Create like a god, command like a king, work like a slave."

Quote Originally Posted by Synarch View Post
    Extraverts simply externalize their unhappiness and project it onto other people as the cause.
    Your point is relevant, but I wanted to reiterate, that I am talk about self-dislike, not unhappiness in general.

Robot Fusion
    "As our island of knowledge grows, so does the shore of our ignorance." John Wheeler
    "[A] scientist looking at nonscientific problems is just as dumb as the next guy." Richard Feynman
    "[P]etabytes of [] data is not the same thing as understanding emergent mechanisms and structures." Jim Crutchfield

MBTI
    INTP

Yea I think his point still stands. Extraverts have a nasty habit of projecting their self dislike and opinions onto others when thing get a little too negative.
    My cold, snide, intellectual life is just a veneer, behind which lies the plywood of loneliness.

Quote Originally Posted by Aimahn View Post
    Yea I think his point still stands. Extraverts have a nasty habit of projecting their self dislike and opinions onto others when thing get a little too negative.
    Are you saying they project what would be self-dislike onto others? That is the general unpleasantness is placed in a source outside themselves?

Or are you saying they dislike themselves, but will be less like to admit it to themselves? or to others?

Robot Fusion

MBTI
    INTP

I think its more of a case where we don't necessarily see their inner workings, but living with an ENFP sister, I can sense some of the reasons for her bad moods.

Extroverts have a need to be outgoing and in contact with others so they don't do the whole Introverted apathy, critical, avoidance thing (INTP especially) unless it gets REALLY bad. They will still project some happiness but there will be more biting remarks and an overall negative tone.

That's all speaking in the case of my sister who is an ENFP.
    My cold, snide, intellectual life is just a veneer, behind which lies the plywood of loneliness.

MBTI
    Mine
    Enneagram
    1w9

Interesting hypothesis, at any rate. I think it could well hold true if a large enough sample was collected - it would at least be interesting to see. But couldn't a poll simply be placed on this site as a sticky topic, in a place where everyone would see it? Until data collection takes place the hypothesis remains purely speculative, and that would be a start at least!

BTW, I agree that extraverts have a tendency to project bad feelings on to others, thereby disowning them in themselves - unhealthy or disturbed E*FJ types seem to be the worst in this respect, however - I'm surprised that an ENFP would make a habit of it.

MBTI
    INTP

Most of the times they just seek happiness from others to overcome it. But they are usually so expressive that being around them enough it's second nature to pick up on their little variances in mood.

The sources are somewhat easier to pick up as well, although the sample is probably biased somewhat since it is my sister, and I probably did goad her a little bit in those situations.

MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    5x/o

I don't think so... maybe because I find the people who dislike themselves the most- who try to be someone else the most are the least likely to report this fascination with changing into someone else.

There are many different ways to manifest self-disatisfaction.

Quote Originally Posted by ragashree View Post
    Interesting hypothesis, at any rate. I think it could well hold true if a large enough sample was collected - it would at least be interesting to see. But couldn't a poll simply be placed on this site as a sticky topic, in a place where everyone would see it? Until data collection takes place the hypothesis remains purely speculative, and that would be a start at least!

BTW, I agree that extraverts have a tendency to project bad feelings on to others, thereby disowning them in themselves - unhealthy or disturbed E*FJ types seem to be the worst in this respect, however - I'm surprised that an ENFP would make a habit of it.
    I suppose I could make a poll with 8 or 16 categories, but I have no control over whether it is sticky-ed or not. This will be a rather skewed result, since people mistype themselves often on this board, and there is a heavy leaning towards misfits self-identifying as INs.

Quote Originally Posted by Colors View Post
    I don't think so... maybe because I find the people who dislike themselves the most- who try to be someone else the most are the least likely to report this fascination with changing into someone else.

There are many different ways to manifest self-disatisfaction.
    I'm not sure I understand your point.

Maybe I should make clear that it is their "personality" that they dislike (though maybe not their "personality type"), not the their bodies, nor their performance, nor another aspect of themselves. That's the distinction I was making by adding wanting to be a different personality.

In my case, I've wanted a different personality for a lot longer than I've known about type.

Robot Fusion