First 234

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    548 sp/sx
    Socionics
    INTj

Quote Originally Posted by proteanmix View Post
    That's curious because we seem to have a forum full of introverts projecting their self-dislike onto extroverts.

According to Jung, an extrovert projects their most vile thoughts towards themselves and introverts project the worst outside of themselves.

Was that really me? by Naomi Quenck goes into this in detail and how our inferior function (introverted for extroverts and extroverted for introverts) can hijack our psyche for extended periods of time. I wonder if some of personality problems people describe here are the results of an tertiary and inferior function enslaving the dominant functions obscuring real type. People can live like this for years, it's not just a momentary eclipse.

Good post, Eric! Is that your website?
    Yes.
    Also, in light of what you just said here; it should aos be pointed out that in this system, relationship oriented is also considered "responding as an extrovert", and task-oriented is "responding as an introvert" (normal I/E is what we "express" as).
    APS Profile: Inclusion: e/w=1/6 (Supine) |Control: e/w=7/3 (Choleric) |Affection: e/w=1/9 (Supine)
    Ti 54.3 | Ne 47.3 | Si 37.8 | Fe 17.7 | Te 22.5 | Ni 13.4 | Se 18.9 | Fi 27.9

Temperament (APS) from scratch -- MBTI Type from scratch
    Type Ideas

MBTI
    EsTP
    Enneagram
    6w7

I'm not really sure what you mean by this. Some extroverts aren't comfortable expressing themselves emotionally either. Do you mean being emotionally effusive or revealing how they feel? Do you group being emotionally expressive as a sign of extroversion?
    I agree, emotional expressiveness isn't necessarily a given for extraverts.
    I would think this is more so of a Feeling/Thinking thing.
    I know of INFJs and ISFJs who will let their emotions show with ease.
    I think it's more of an Fe thing than an Extravert thing.

I would say that Te-dominants (especially those Machiavellianesque ENTJs) will never tell you how they are feeling.
    A lot of Extraverts (possibly including myself) will avoid talking about intimate topics or expressing emotions when interacting with people- instead, they prefer to talk about topics related to business or things which stimulate the mind rather than the heart.
    MBTI Type: iNTj
    Enneagram Type: 3w4 sp/sx

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    9w1

as usual im going to push that self-dislike in types is spread across all of the types somewhat easily. i would say that environment would have quite an effect also on whether the person likes or dislikes themselves. if someone grows up in an environment where their personality is looked down on or they feel different, then i could see them not liking who they are. ok so that is me being idealistic. in an "un-idealistic" world, the real world, i would immediately say that ESTJs would LIKE their personality because it is somewhat the social norm. on the other end of the spectrum you have the INFP who many times is looked at as being socially inept and, well, weird. so really you could probably figure out which type is most unhappy about their type by looking at which types are rarest. even then, i would venture to say that it is still probably pretty evenly distributed among introverts and possibly some ENXPs. really i would say (select) intuitives in general, whether introverted or not.
    "Honest differences are often a healthy sign of progress. "

"You must not lose faith in humanity. Humanity is an ocean; if a few drops of the ocean are dirty, the ocean does not become dirty."

"An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind."

Mahatma Gandhi

Enneagram: 9w1

MBTI
    INFJ

Cool

I consciously try and mask my emotions to the point where some people think i'm pretty cold. I would never cry in public and am just pretty emotionally unexpressive in general. Maybe it's because i'm a guy and it has something to do with my enviroment or something, I don't really know.

I like who I am in general and probably wouldn't change it if I could. I was hellaciously angsty as a teenager though and that took a long time to grow out of (Not to say angsty adults are immature, just that it was my path to take).

If I had to trade I would probably be a ENFP. They usually seem so spontaneous, carefree and fun - yet they are still abstract. I envy that.

MBTI
    EsTP
    Enneagram
    6w7

Another point- to take things somewhat off the perspective of the brooding introvert- an extravert can be very self-disliking if he or she is hedonistic in nature. That person cannot stand thinking about or being with him or herself so he or she engages in self-destructive behaviors because that is what they think is the only path to happiness.

It is this principle which creates alcoholics and drug addicts.
    MBTI Type: iNTj
    Enneagram Type: 3w4 sp/sx

MBTI
    INTP

I'm not really sure what you mean by this. Some extroverts aren't comfortable expressing themselves emotionally either. Do you mean being emotionally effusive or revealing how they feel? Do you group being emotionally expressive as a sign of extroversion?
    I think in this case (self hate) the mind set and mentality is warped, so I would assume that would alter things somewhat. If we are talking about projection I would assume that extroverts would more likely be consciously aware of their effects externally and would try and resolve them in that manner.

Would you not retreat to your most comfortable function in that case to try and resolve the manner?

Mind you, I should have clarified I was initially talking about ENFPs and INTPs. I think someone already mentioned how much T or F as your dominant extroverted function (or overall) could alter things. After a certain point your weaker functions get called into play and that is where you see some of the more raw charged emotions that are the most evident and telling.

I guess the thing I was trying to get at was conscious v unconscious projection.
    My cold, snide, intellectual life is just a veneer, behind which lies the plywood of loneliness.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9w8
    Socionics
    INTj

Ygolo,
    Am I correct in thinking that NPs would be prone to self-disliking because they can see potential for them to be better, missed opportunities or potential within the webs of probability and that SFs would be prone to similar because they believe they should be better somehow?

Is that a correct interpretation of what you're getting at?
    Isn't it time for a colourful metaphor?

Quote Originally Posted by Xander View Post
    Ygolo,
    Am I correct in thinking that NPs would be prone to self-disliking because they can see potential for them to be better, missed opportunities or potential within the webs of probability and that SFs would be prone to similar because they believe they should be better somehow?

Is that a correct interpretation of what you're getting at?
    That was the thinking behind the hypotheses. I was also thinking that extroversion (even in those who are introverts) leads to validation of a persons thoughts, feelings, reactions, or whatever, which in turn leads more self-like. There was some study saying that, but I don't remember where that was.

Accept the past. Live for the present. Look forward to the future.
    Robot Fusion
    "As our island of knowledge grows, so does the shore of our ignorance." John Wheeler
    "[A] scientist looking at nonscientific problems is just as dumb as the next guy." Richard Feynman
    "[P]etabytes of [] data is not the same thing as understanding emergent mechanisms and structures." Jim Crutchfield

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9w8
    Socionics
    INTj

Quote Originally Posted by ygolo View Post
    That was the thinking behind the hypotheses. I was also thinking that extroversion (even in those who are introverts) leads to validation of a persons thoughts, feelings, reactions, or whatever, which in turn leads more self-like. There was some study saying that, but I don't remember where that was.
    Odd. I would have thought that I and E would make little difference as each has it's own source of validation and vunerability to self doubt.
    Isn't it time for a colourful metaphor?

MBTI
    INTJ

If I applied that model to myself, I'd be supine sometimes and phlegmatic at other times. I figure INTx would go that way, (or maybe just INTP and INTJs with a low judging preference) having some periods of doubt but otherwise not caring.
    What a waste of life..