User Tag List

123 Last

Thread: MBTI Paintings

Enneagram
    1w2

Default MBTI Paintings

I went to the Smithsonian American Art Museum yesterday and this is a little game I played while I looked at the portraits.

I tried to pick paintings that I thought captured the essence of a certain type. I didn't do all of them because that museum is huge and I only had a couple of hours and I forgot to write down the names of the artists.

These are the artists in no particular order:
    Abbott Handerson Thayer
    William H. Johnson
    J. Bond Francisco
    Howard Finster
    George Tooker
    William Sidney Mount
    John W. Waterhouse

ISFJ

ISJ (ISTJ?)

SJ

NF (INFP cause they're so ethereal?)

INJ

I don't know about this one but it appealed to me (NJ??)
    Relationships have normal ebbs and flows. They do not automatically get better and better when the participants learn more and more about each other. Instead, the participants have to work through the tensions of the relationship (the dialectic) while they learn and group themselves and a parties in a relationships. At times the relationships is very open and sharing. Other time, one or both parties to the relationship need their space, or have other concerns, and the relationship is less open. The theory posits that these cycles occur throughout the life of the relationship as the persons try to balance their needs for privacy and open relationship.
    Interpersonal Communication Theories and Concepts
    Social Penetration Theory 1
    Social Penetration Theory 2
    Social Penetration Theory 3

Permabanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILE

ISFJ

I'll definitely go with ISFJ on this one in terms of theme. Are you trying to correlate the theme of the paintings or trying to determine the artist's type (or both)?

ISJ (ISTJ?)

Yes, the theme is very ISTJ; realistic, detailed, and quite literal. It captures the themes of the everyday world, which particularly appeals to the ISTJ.

SJ

I'm not sure, in terms of theme, this is xSFJ, I think. But in terms of the composition, I'm leaning towards ESFP.

NF (INFP cause they're so ethereal?)

Definitely captures the essence of INFP. I really love these two because of the sense of beauty and wonder. While they contain a Sensate aesthetic, I feel that they are both driven by Intuitive because, as you said, they have an ethereal rather than sensuous quality.

INJ

This is definitely NT, no question about it. It's more focused on the creation of worlds from a systematic point of view. It's not really about the emotion or people (although it is a bit small, so I'm probably missing things).

I don't know about this one but it appealed to me (NJ??)
    [/QUOTE]

This probably has strong INFJ appeal. It's got an extremely mystical aura about it and I do believe it focuses on the emotions of the people.

MBTI
    isfp
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Uberfuhrer View Post

This probably has strong INFJ appeal. It's got an extremely mystical aura about it and I do believe it focuses on the emotions of the people.
    I agree with a lot of what you say, but fwiw, this pic has about the least fascination for me. The reason is that it lacks subtlety. The emotional reactions are overstated and stylized, lacking an organic, human quality. This painting is 'telling' you everything. It does not engage or draw one into it the way an iNuitive would desire. I'd actually suggest SJ for this last one.
    Step into my metaphysical room of mirrors.
    Fear of reality creates myopic morality
    So I guess it means there is trouble until the robins come
    (from Blue Velvet)

MBTI
    isfp
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

This is a powerful INF- image

I don't really want to nail down P or J because my sister is a professional artist, is an INFP, and she relates to Van Gogh on a deep level. She wearies of the fluffed up assumptions that go along with INFPs. We both value the meat of the emotional world over the sentimental frosted fritters.

I would venture to describe this as the fire of Fi, and quintessential INFP

This is a frozen Fe, the deep world of the INFJ. (edit: i had to move this from my next post to articulate contrast of Fi and Fe or INFP - INFJ.

Here's another very INFJ portrait
    (from Blue Velvet)

Enneagram
    1w2

I'll definitely go with ISFJ on this one in terms of theme. Are you trying to correlate the theme of the paintings or trying to determine the artist's type (or both)?
    I'm not trying to figure out the artist's type, just the portrait's type.

I'm not sure, in terms of theme, this is xSFJ, I think. But in terms of the composition, I'm leaning towards ESFP.
    I was leaning to SP with this artist. Many of William H. Johnson's paintings are of people working or people dancing. Here's one of his paintings I think is ISFP.

INJ

This is definitely NT, no question about it. It's more focused on the creation of worlds from a systematic point of view. It's not really about the emotion or people (although it is a bit small, so I'm probably missing things).
    I don't see anything inherently NT about this one, but Ni is off the charts. It's looks so chaotic.

I like how horrified the people look. Kinda macabre. Not as blatantly Ni as the one above.

Quote Originally Posted by toonia
    I agree with a lot of what you say, but fwiw, this pic has about the least fascination for me. The reason is that it lacks subtlety. The emotional reactions are overstated and stylized, lacking an organic, human quality. This painting is 'telling' you everything. It does not engage or draw one into it the way an iNuitive would desire. I'd actually suggest SJ for this last one.
    Do you think this looks Si or Ni?
    Relationships have normal ebbs and flows. They do not automatically get better and better when the participants learn more and more about each other. Instead, the participants have to work through the tensions of the relationship (the dialectic) while they learn and group themselves and a parties in a relationships. At times the relationships is very open and sharing. Other time, one or both parties to the relationship need their space, or have other concerns, and the relationship is less open. The theory posits that these cycles occur throughout the life of the relationship as the persons try to balance their needs for privacy and open relationship.
    Interpersonal Communication Theories and Concepts
    Social Penetration Theory 1
    Social Penetration Theory 2
    Social Penetration Theory 3

MBTI
    isfp
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

Here I'd say ST. Representational, with a strongly T expression. Rather ESTJ in its delivery.

Quote Originally Posted by proteanmix View Post
    Do you think this looks Si or Ni?
    I'd say very Si. It is based on a traditional story. It is a literal depiction of it containing all the expected reactions of the characters.

(something interesting I just realized: every painting i have chosen to represent a personality type is a portrait. There may be an element of INFJness to the concept of portraiture? )
    (from Blue Velvet)

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by proteanmix View Post
    I don't see anything inherently NT about this one, but Ni is off the charts. It's looks so chaotic.
    I'd agree about the Ni bit of this, of all the ones that have been listed in the OP, this one is the one that I can look at and feel like "Oh, I've been here before." It reminds me of my notebook pages when I get bored at work and start doodling and writing random things.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILE

Quote Originally Posted by toonia View Post
    Subtlety? Who says Intuitive types are subtle?

Since when do Intuitives have the desire to make other people think? I thought MBTI type was about the self!

And things of a stylized, fantastical nature are Intuitive, as far as I'm concerned.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    1w9

Slightly off-topic: I adore The Lady of Shalott.

On-topic: John Jude Palencar, a likely INTJ himself, favors a low depth-of-field, emphasis on line, and a consistent and precise application of paint -- very NT.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    INFj None

Quote Originally Posted by htb View Post
    On-topic: John Jude Palencar, a likely INTJ himself, favors a low depth-of-field, emphasis on line, and a consistent and precise application of paint -- very NT.
    Wow.
    “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.”
    ~ John Rogers