User Tag List

First 23456 Last

no clinkz 'til brooklyn Nocapszy's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP

Hopefully I'll manage to finish it and post tomorrow. I've got the table mostly set, so I can just let everything settle into place on it's own with ease.

I'm thinking I might end up doing a second version where I'll pick apart actual real world examples. I think a large part of the confusion in typology is not knowing where to look, or how to classify what you're seeing.

You guys could pick a movie and I'll type the characters and pick scenes apart -- that might be helpful.

MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram

I like the entp attitude of looking devoted to one thing and being totally busy because of it .
    [URL]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEBvftJUwDw&t=0s[/URL]

MBTI
    TiSe

Quote Originally Posted by Nocapszy View Post
    Take a lesson boys and girls:
    This is the kind of thinking that necessitates the gargantuan post I'm still working on.

If the testing is initially wrong, then consistency means it's consistently wrong.
    An ITS ought to know that...
    Absolutely, which is why when I initially found type theory through Keirsey, I constantly mistyped as INTJ. After reading "Gifts Differing" and having the MBTI Step II administered, my results were INTP. I could actually see the judging in me but never for a moment considered I was showing the world a perceiving function, nevertheless even considered myself ENTP for a brief time. After years of posting on INTPc and ENTP.ORG it became apparent that I was not intuitive at all.

It was only after I began reading Linda V. Berens and Dario Nardi's work that helped me to apply Jung's work to myself that I appreciated why I initially mistyped as an intuitive and why my core values rang true for SP.
    I agree that testing should result in the correct function, I can say with a great amount of confidence (being a victim myself) that it doesn't happen empirically.

I was originally tested as ISTP. I am not an ISTP.

The point dissonance was making was that if the questions are written in a way that the user thinks they understand, they will answer it, and (ideally) accurately so, to their understanding. However, if their assumption of the intended meaning differs from the actual intended meaning of only a single word, the question, given the boolean logic of the tests, will misrepresent the person. I emphasize the factor of idyllic violation, because people do and consistently observe themselves incorrectly.
    Especially E__Ps, who, often without even knowing it, will lie or just make things up, even believing these things themselves.

Aside from that that, I find a great many people would rather have an answer, than the right answer, which almost invariably discourages further investigation. Apply this principle to introspection, and you'll have, with certainty, a lot of people who, even providing they do understand the question, will still not be able to answer accurately, because they have bad information.
    I agree somewhat, but once you find that the test questions are flawed, it seems insane to continue to take the test hoping that there will be different results. It would seem more logical to try a different method which again is why I so much appreciate Berens and practitioners that follow her methods. Now I can see why I answered tests questions the way I do, because of my own subjective interpretation of the questions. I have said before that tests may be better for extraverts because they are inclined to be objective, however for introverts their subjectivity may deceive them therefore must look at alternatives that decreases any subjectivity. For example my best confirmation was actually listening and observing how others see me. To the contrary and per Jung, my Ti is paramount.
    Ha!

So an INTJ who has 25% Si, 35% and 40% Te ought to be an ENTJ then?
    Uh Im not sure what you were attempting to convey here since you did not add a cognitive function to your 35%. If you were implying that it would be Ni, then yes clearly youre dominating with Te, then Ni. Now to make sure were on the same track please tell me you are not alluding to cognitive function test results. Those are absolutely the last means of determining ones type.

MBTI
    TiSe

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Flak View Post
    Uhhh my point being that Introverted Ps shouldn't have a J function as their primary function. See sig.
    You alluded to your system in another discussion and my response remains that you are merely spouting what Socionics was initially saying years ago. Furthermore you seem to focus on the J/P for some strange reason, which for introverted types would be their auxiliary. Are you implying that that we do not have a dominant type ergo we can change type at will?

MBTI
    TiSe

You guys could pick a movie and I'll type the characters and pick scenes apart -- that might be helpful.
    Actually it will be more fun to pick your theory apart, if you ever post it.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9w8
    Socionics
    INTj

Would I be out of line in asking what the percentage scores actually represent?

Is there not a difference between strength of preferance displayed and actual preference?
    Isn't it time for a colourful metaphor?

MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by "?" View Post
    Actually it will be more fun to pick your theory apart, if you ever post it.
    Indeed.
    Be my guest

MBTI
    ENTP

Honestly Xander, I never did figure it out.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9w8
    Socionics
    INTj

Honestly Xander, I never did figure it out.
    What the whole percentage thing? The reason I asked is because I've known people who's function strengths as shown by those kinds of tests don't match with their type as it plays out. I'm wondering whether the two are necessarily linked directly or whether the functions are measuring something slightly different.

I once spoke about the percentages to my father.. well twice but the first time he just thought that it was some internet "gadget" and disregarded them. He spoke of the percentages being not strength of preference but how strongly the preference is expressed. I'm still not clear on my thinking about the difference but I'm thinking it may hold the answer... should have pursued the answer at the time I guess...
    Isn't it time for a colourful metaphor?

Banned
    MBTI
    type

Quote Originally Posted by "?" View Post
    You alluded to your system in another discussion and my response remains that you are merely spouting what Socionics was initially saying years ago. Furthermore you seem to focus on the J/P for some strange reason, which for introverted types would be their auxiliary. Are you implying that that we do not have a dominant type ergo we can change type at will?
    No, in response to the question. What I'm saying is that your primary function is the function used more than any other by the individual. I thought that was very clear!

Maybe I am saying what Socionics was "years ago," if they removed the distinction from e/i in functions, and then reversed that later. You tell me, I wasn't up on Socionics in the 70s. I did say "tied to no system I'm aware of."