User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    INFJ

Default Has your family influenced your personality?

In my family I am the only one with a very strong intuitive function. My parents, sibling, and his wife are all strong sensers and I, in contrast, am very intuitive. Most of my extended family are sensers as well.
    Has anyone experienced this before? Now that I have discovered this about my family, certain thing seems to make much more sense. My experiences growing up, interacting with family, etc. Is this unusual? It seems like it would be because of all the S influence I've had in my life. Or maybe it's fairly common? I'd like to hear your experiences, thoughts, opinions.
    Rain makes applesauce

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    8w7 sx/so
    Socionics
    EIE

My father, me and my brother are pretty much alike... They're both ENTP's... That's pretty odd. They always fight about stuff They mostly have huge arguments about philosophy/politics. My brother is 9 years older than me, and he probably did 60-70 percent of the parenting when I was 1-10 years old. He's a very confused person, like the caricature of a professor Really, really kind-hearted. My father sometimes call him "the pure heart". (LOL). He made me interested in history, politics, computers, philosophy... Most of what defines me comes from my brother. I believe that I would be a lot more evil if it wasn't for him.

Mightier than the tread of marching armies is the power of an idea whose time has come

MBTI
    ISTx

Me and the brother below me are sensors. My youngest bro, sister and mom/dad are Intuitive. Everyone except myself is a Feeler. lol

MBTI
    onto
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    INTp

Interaction is important. Some functions develop well because they are nurtured, whereas others develop because some other are inhibited. That's what I think.

MBTI
    INTP

I would definitely say so, I had an ENFP and INFJ older sister, as well as an ESFJ mom. So I definitely got a crash course on feeling, and how people operate and think in those contexts.

I used to have some pretty epic clashes with my ENFP sister because my feeling was so underdeveloped, it's something that I've come to appreciate now. I have an INTJ father so that also fostered my abstract thinking faculties. It was overall a pretty hectic and enjoyable childhood. I think it actually sort of fostered an interesting mix of skills, I am especially comfortable in confrontations and disputes and have little to no innate fear of authority anymore.

I think I apply a lot of my NT skills in more personal and concrete manners. Its a very interesting dilemma, my verbal abilities and logical reasoning skills are rapidly applied in more personal matters. It's a little disconcerting in that it's only focused and high tuned when I have a little emotional charge or there is a justification or argument to be made. When I'm idle and just studying its very free form and idealistic. It's as if I've learned to temporarily place my critical thinking skills under the rug a little bit and let my imagination roam to deal with people, the longer it goes on, though, the harder it is to keep them under the rug.
    Last edited by Simplexity; 11-15-2008 at 04:05 AM.
    My cold, snide, intellectual life is just a veneer, behind which lies the plywood of loneliness.

MBTI
    INtj
    Enneagram
    9w1

I relate to your situation. My parents and younger sister are all S, my younger brother might well be N (InTj). I heard one's interaction style can be influenced by one's family, and I do notice myself not having a clear communication style for who I really am. Sometimes someone simply displays a function that at the moment seems a hole to me (Se e.g.), but I might do this myself, I don't know.

In my wider family I don't see much N either. But I'm not sure. And I test 100% N even.

My friends, half of them (that is two), are N.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    567?
    Socionics
    ILE

Definitely. My mom is a very sensitive ISFJ, and from being around her, I learned a lot about considering others' feelings before speaking. When I'm feeling timid or uncertain around people, I often notice that my behavior begins to mirror hers.

My dad is some kind of ESTx. I don't think he's effected the development my personality as much as my mom has.

I haven't been around my extended family much in the last ten years, so I'm not sure what effect they've had. I'm not even sure of most of their personality types. Hanging around some of them can be exasperating though. It seems that most of them are extroverted and sensor, which is fine in and of itself, it's just that I grew up in a very different environment from all of them (i.e. I didn't grow up going to church all the time or living on a farm), and so it can be hard to find common ground. They LOVE asking about what I'm majoring in and trying to make me spit out detailed life-plans; and when they find out I don't have everything in life clearly mapped, they get condescending.
    ALL AROUND THE WORLD PEOPLE EATIN' GUMBO

MBTI
    INFP

Certainly. I mean isn't this sort of the nature/nurture thing? Of course your family is going to influence your behaviours and personality as you grow. It's this environment you're thrown into with basically no choice. Your personality develops itself as it reacts against that environment. My mother and sister are ISJs and that's definitely affected me in some ways, since it's a relatively different experience from being an INFP.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    2w3 sp/sx
    Socionics
    INFp

Growing up, I believe that my family had a huge influence on me. Both my brother and father seem to be thinkers as well as sensors (though this is only a guess for me), whereas I'm a feeler and intuitive. My mother seems to more of a sensor and a feeler, though she tended to try and be more of a thinker to please my father. I have to say that, once I felt comfortable in my own skin, I was able to use the differences and learn how to see things better from another perspective.
    I have no idea who I am. All I can say is let's rock hard.

MBTI
    INFP

I'd say my mother was the odd one out. I definitely think she's a sensor. My dad would be probably ENFJ, sister: enfp, mother: ISFJ, brother: INTJ(or INTP).
    My mother had a huge influence, tremendous influence.
    She kind of intoxicated me with her strong sense of realism.
    Sometimes I feel like I'm "on Mercury"-