User Tag List

123 Last

filling some space UnitOfPopulation's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTJ

Default Question(s) for Ni users

Do you think of Ni as an eccentric function?

I've always found that Ni to be extremely difficult to observe or understand by the usually provided descriptions, which has probably made me think of myself as someone who don't utilize it. Or, perhaps it's the sole function that I can't get myself out of; can't step out of it to observe whether I use it or not.

I feel I'm a naturally highly eccentric, idiosyncratic person inside. Yet I've found it nowhere near hard as many others to maintain an amount of conformity.. tho it has still been much harder than for the people in general. Edit: the end result, I believe, is that I conform and adapt really well.

But, by a process of elimination, I'm thinking of function usage and where to place my eccentricity. I'm thinking Ni or Ti.

Te, Se can't be responsible. Ti just might; a person understanding and analyzing things proficiently sees things in an odd way compared to a person who just goes by the most obvious interpretation.

Do you feel your Ni giving strange insights for you? How would you notice them being strange? Can Ni processes be explained? How does the "eccentricity", "strangeness" or "uniqueness" in your person relate to Ni?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

ish red no longer *sad* nightning's Avatar
    MBTI
    INfj

Ni is my dominant/overused function. I'll never describe it as eccentric or strange... although when other people view my thought process, I'm sure those terms came across their minds on a few occasions.

If you try hard enough, you can explain the connections you're making sequentially one step at a time after the fact. I like to think of Ni as taking leaps over a few steps because of preexisting patterns it recognized.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram

Doesn't seem strange to me, but I've never known anything else.

Everything is themes.

MBTI
    xxxx

Ni isn't strange to those of us with it, we trust it, but it probably does make us seem eccentric to others. It looks like we are not going step by step and are jumping to conclusions or following hunches, but as nightning says we actually work it out all inside our heads.

MBTI
    INTj

I don't know if this is going to answer the OP or not, but . . .

I knew you were going to ask that question before I opened the thread.
    "The only time I'm wrong is when I'm questioning myself."
    Haight

MBTI
    ENTJ

Ok, it's not strange to you. None of you seem strange to me, either. Perhaps I've just learned that I'm strange, from outsider's comments: philosophical, curious.. for some time in my childhood, even persisting to early adulthood, I didn't understand having skipped many necessary points while explaining a thing. I mean.. things that checked out I had understood them correctly and jumped to the end conclusions. Just like you've said. I haven't had that thought for a while.

Now that I remember it..

Some times I've thought of Ni as having brainstorming session with someone you trust. The brainstorming is directed at the plausible, rather than the bizarre.

Perhaps its the Ni descriptions that border on the mystical.

Edit: no, it was also the kids at the school wondering what I explained. What I thought most often turned out to be just right, just not so much inside my mind I couldn't explain it in their terms. Of course then there were the personal opinions I didn't know where badly proved; I had my idea of the shape of the universe, based on stability criteria.. etc.. and similar ideas, which were probably wrong. It's why I wanted to learn to communicate so badly.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Permabanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILE

I think the mystical thing is an exaggeration. I do not see myself as mystical, but when I'm not feeling numb, I'm usually scheming ways to achieve ends. It kind of kills me, too, because I have a need to be perfect at whatever I'm setting out to do, and when I realize the reality of ends possibly not ending up as I hoped, I become fearful and get trapped inside, as if the world is caving in on me.

So I guess you can say that I have ambitious plans, visions, and ideas, but when reality catches up, the ends become harder to reach.

MBTI
    ENFJ

It doesn't seem 'eccentric' to me.

But, it may explain why nobody can follow my thoughts, if it was so.
    -Carefully taking sips from the Fire Hose of Knowledge

MBTI
    ENTJ

Perhaps something sufficiently advanced is indistinguishable from magic? I recognize this use of Ni Nighting mentioned; intuitive leap. Not everywhere, but directed somewhere. I think it makes this feeling: "they'd believe if they saw what I'm thinking". I recognize that thing too.. that thing of having to break down one's thinking in steps in order to make it intelligible.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

MBTI
    ENTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Haphazard View Post
    It doesn't seem 'eccentric' to me.

But, it may explain why nobody can follow my thoughts, if it was so.
    I've always thought you've written clearly, so it's been rather easy to accept most of what you write. Now that I think of it, it's mostly some Ne users whom I'm offended of for believing in such far-fetched, unproven ideas and taking them as something real. It seems like Ni is a very well-grounded function.

Well, it's neighbor, Si, is a reliable, grounded function as for what I can tell..
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]