User Tag List

First 123 Last

Enneagram
    4 so/sp

I donīt see it as eccentric per se.

But perhaps other people view ME as eccentric - but I donīt think thatīs solely due to Ni.

I also donīt think I jump to conclusions, so have never fully related to the whole mystical, going-solely-on-intuition thing. I do think Iīm driven by patterns and systems, though, and connections between one thing and another, and I probably overlay a lot of things simultaneously in my mind and then the net result - what is spoken or written - might appear to have come out of thin air. But the internal process to reach that conclusion was far from arbitrary and far from being random or mystical. If anything, it is hard for me to articulate why I have concluded something - simply because there were SO many convoluted data points involved in my reaching that conclusion. So itīs easier for me to just give a blanket statement, rather than write a 20 page thesis on how I came to that statement.
    "...On and on and on and on he strode, far out over the sands, singing wildly to the sea, crying to greet the advent of the life that had cried to him." - James Joyce

My Photography and Watercolor Fine Art Prints!!! Cascade Colors Fine Art Prints
    https://docs.google.com/uc?export=do...Gd5N3NZZE52QjQ

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/sp

I prefer Jung's adjective for Ni: irrational.

My own Ni is very unpredictable. Sometimes it leaps to a conclusion that I can see was based on simple logic or a linear reasoning process - it simply skipped a number of the intervening steps. At other times it will shift perspective and view a situation from a vastly different perspective, which can be extremely powerful in problem-solving or for facilitating change. Then there's it's ability to work with paradox - for example, seeing both sides of an argument as valid, or that two seemingly contradictory ideas can both be useful. It is wonderful at seeing very faint patterns amongst high levels of background noise.

Finally, there is definitely a "mystical" aspect to my Ni - those times when I just "know" something without any external cues. This can take the form of premonitions; hunches which prove to be highly accurate; a sense that a friend or loved one will contact me shortly or is in trouble; highly detailed information about something that is happening elsewhere; and so on.

BTW, I also consider myself to be a highly eccentric, idiosyncratic person inside, and I do credit my Ni for this trait!
    INFJ 9w1 sx/sp/so

"A wizard is never late. Nor is he early. He arrives precisely when he means to." - Gandalf The Grey

And if I only could,
    I'd make a deal with God,
    And I'd get him to swap our places,
    Be running up that road,
    Be running up that hill,
    With no problems.

- Kate Bush

MBTI
    INTJ

Santtu - Have you ever seen Si in action?

filling some space UnitOfPopulation's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTJ

Well, I've got the idea it (edit:talking about Si) mostly revolves around memory. Sometimes I think I've recognized it, then I doubt. I've just advanced from hating the damned function to wishing I were any good at it. If I had to give my best shot without thinking now, I'd say it presents some systematization of perceptions. Whereas Se is the reality in it's most concrete form, readily understandable, experienced.. Si is the same thing classified, compared, remembered and archived. I guess Si is more prone to consider a series of events than Se, which is spread everywhere; I might guess Ni/Ne work in the similar fashion.

Si is much more mystery to me than anything else. I've hated it's users for making everything in the world so f'n slow, contained .. every opportunity being scrutinized and deemed non-standard, hence unacceptable with the damned Si. It's been somewhat of an enemy for me.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

MBTI
    INTP

From a Ti perspective it seems like I do that in trying to find logical structure in things. Basically the whole viewing situations from multiple angles in a logistical sense, I often notice a clash in thoughts when conversing with my INTJ dad.

How does it differ from your perspective when one of your "hunches" or "Intuitive leaps" is refuted or invalidated by a Ti user?

I know perception works in coordination with a judging function so Te might have to be mentioned at one point. Internally though it seems we attack problems from different modes of perception (used in the visionary sense, not MBTT, different representation of "reality"). I can sense that there is some internal process behind your statements, which are obviously modified or influenced to a large extent by Te. I just can't truly get a grasp of how you are perceiving the situation.
    My cold, snide, intellectual life is just a veneer, behind which lies the plywood of loneliness.

MBTI
    ENFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Santtu View Post
    I've always thought you've written clearly, so it's been rather easy to accept most of what you write. Now that I think of it, it's mostly some Ne users whom I'm offended of for believing in such far-fetched, unproven ideas and taking them as something real. It seems like Ni is a very well-grounded function.

Well, it's neighbor, Si, is a reliable, grounded function as for what I can tell..
    I don't know if I'd call Ni 'grounded'. Well, perhaps it is. It's a bit like a long dissertation that ends with, "But anyway, that's neither here nor there."

The only reason I manage to appear intelligible is because I tend to keep my posts short. Any longer and this would probably no longer be true...
    -Carefully taking sips from the Fire Hose of Knowledge

MBTI
    INTJ

I'll be back.

MBTI
    INTJ

I worked with an ISFJ (leading function Si) for two years. She would get these "hunches". At first, I didn’t trust them. I would think, "Where in the world did you get that idea from?!" She couldn’t explain how she knew what she knew, yet over and over again, it would turn out she was right. It was uncanny. Every now and then she would be able to prove where she had gotten the idea from, but most the time she would just say, “I don’t know. I just have a hunch.” Interestingly, Jung says Ni gets hunches, too, but I never use that word for myself.

Reading Jung’s description of Si, I figured out that her S function was taking in all these facts and details and storing them for future use. And then somehow, she would get a "hunch" that would just seemingly pop up out of nowhere, yet was actually based on facts or information she might have taken in 5 or 10 years before! Incredible!

Once I read that, I realized that Ni works the same way, except for a difference in the type of information it takes in. In my case, I am always looking for underlying truths and general principles that will always apply in every situation. I love wise sayings that are always true. I believe that’s why I was naturally good in geometry. I memorized all those laws. They made sense to me. I got an A without even trying very hard.

So to tie it together with Si, I see Ni as collecting principles and truths and remembering them for later use. Then, at another time, even years later, when they apply in a certain situation, they will come forward and make themselves known though only in a fog-like state, not in a clear – oh I know where that came from – kind of way.

I don’t know how much it has to do with anyone being eccentric though.

MBTI
    xxxx

Quote Originally Posted by Aimahn View Post
    From a Ti perspective it seems like I do that in trying to find logical structure in things. Basically the whole viewing situations from multiple angles in a logistical sense, I often notice a clash in thoughts when conversing with my INTJ dad.

How does it differ from your perspective when one of your "hunches" or "Intuitive leaps" is refuted or invalidated by a Ti user?

I know perception works in coordination with a judging function so Te might have to be mentioned at one point. Internally though it seems we attack problems from different modes of perception (used in the visionary sense, not MBTT, different representation of "reality"). I can sense that there is some internal process behind your statements, which are obviously modified or influenced to a large extent by Te. I just can't truly get a grasp of how you are perceiving the situation.
    None of the functions operate in a vacuum so understanding just one is nebulous. When my thoughts are challenged I know it's because someone is approaching the problem from a different angle. I think it's possible to get to the same conclusion with any the functions (N,S,T, or F) as your dominant one, each just uses a different route and there is some validation or testing going on with your non-dominant functions throughout the process as well.

/offtopic
    All the discussion on boards like this about N being 'better' than S or T 'better' than F are silly in my opinion, all of them can get you to the same decision or understanding, they just get you there differently. The more functions you can tap into, the better.
    /ontopic

filling some space UnitOfPopulation's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTJ

Thanks.. I'm too tired to even sum it up what I've learned. But in short:

Ni :
    -not a process making one strange or eccentric
    -may come off as such, if someone can't follow that trail of thought
    -Pattern recognition skill based on evaluating what's learned and applying it more generally
    -ability to speed up one's thought
    -not exactly "jumping into conclusions"

and somethign more. I'll visit this thread later! Now I gotta go to sleep.. thanks all!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]