User Tag List

View Poll Results: Is the four function model valid?

Voters
28. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

11 39.29%
  • No

10 35.71%
  • Ambivalent (explain in thread)

7 25.00%
First 23456 Last

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Flak View Post
    THERE IS NO TERTIARY/INFERIOR! END IT! NOW!
    So are you arguing that even if there were, they shouldn't be called that?

is it because they are so weakly used and ill reflected and overshadowed by your dominant and auxilary that it would be a disservice to call them that?
    My cold, snide, intellectual life is just a veneer, behind which lies the plywood of loneliness.

Banned
    MBTI
    type

Quote Originally Posted by Aimahn View Post
    So are you arguing that even if there were, they shouldn't be called that?

is it because they are so weakly used and ill reflected and overshadowed by your dominant and auxilary that it would be a disservice to call them that?
    I'm arguing that "It doesn't matter. It doesn't matter why they're dressed as a tiger. Do they have my leg?"

MBTI
    INTP

Ok. So basically define types by their two dominant functions?
    My cold, snide, intellectual life is just a veneer, behind which lies the plywood of loneliness.

Banned
    MBTI
    type

Ok. So basically define types by their two dominant functions?
    Fuckin' DUH. Din't I do that last week?

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

I agree with the existance of the 8 functions- because an F or T, for instance, is too flat and one dimensional to describe the difference between types. I don't, however, beleive in the rigidity of the origional system. The first two of the 8 functions are what matters in determining your type, after that, the functions don't necissarily occur in the specified order- and this is how people of the same type can be quite different.

For instance- Ne/Ti makes me an ENTP, even though the next function is Se instead of the "correct" function of Fe. The idea that we are defined by 4 functions alone seems rather silly.

I'm not discounting functions alltogether, but I think that a person can definitley have different tertiary and inferior functions than were origionally prescribed.
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Flak View Post
    Fuckin' DUH. Din't I do that last week?
    See the thing is I get that. But at the same time I don't like jumping ship all the time so I have to look at things from different perspectives, to save a long drawn out argument I basically agree.

At the same time though I was trying to state that people aren't only two functions. Do those two define them? Yes. But there is a lot more to a person than that.

Agree?

MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Nocapszy View Post
    Two function model wouldn't lack precision. It's the only one that leaves room for precision.
    The other six are left variable depending entirely on the individual.
    In reality, all eight are variable. But the first two we use to decide what to call them.
    It's like calling something that blends a blender.
    By this analogy, what the four function modelists are doing is calling something that only surely blends a blender/slicer.
    Well maybe the blender does slice, but on the other hand, it doesn't have to. It might blend my mashing things together, rather than by cutting them up.
    you really have to explain me this thought in german english one day, I dont get it but it surely sounds intresting.
    [URL]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEBvftJUwDw&t=0s[/URL]

Banned
    MBTI
    type

See the thing is I get that. But at the same time I don't like jumping ship all the time so I have to look at things from different perspectives, to save a long drawn out argument I basically agree.

At the same time though I was trying to state that people aren't only two functions. Do those two define them? Yes. But there is a lot more to a person than that.

Agree?
    Uh, yeaHHHHHH. Everyone uses all four main functions. What defines the types is a preference for one, and a lesser preference for another (And I/E in general).

MBTI
    INTP

Ok. I just have a habit of having a structure buried in my head (with logical consistency, not necessarily right) and just arguing other points and sides with contradicting logic to sort of test out my theory. I can see why it can be confusing as fuck if you are trying to see what I'm getting at when I'm in that mode.

Banned
    MBTI
    type

Ok. I just have a habit of having a structure buried in my head (with logical consistency, not necessarily right) and just arguing other points and sides with contradicting logic to sort of test out my theory. I can see why it can be confusing as fuck if you are trying to see what I'm getting at when I'm in that mode.
    I would go to the E.R. and have said 'structure' removed before you start jumping to undue conclusions.