User Tag List

Thread: using MBTI

MBTI
    ISFP

Default using MBTI

hello! Im currently doing a research for our school... the aim is to help the student choose the course they would best fit in by using MBTI(Myers-Briggs Type Indicator).. I want to know if how effective is this MBTI to my research hehehe.... thanks

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    9w1

it can be quite easy if you understand MBTI in its entirety. unfortuntatelly if they were to choose classes that way i wouldn't be in my major.
    "Honest differences are often a healthy sign of progress. "

"You must not lose faith in humanity. Humanity is an ocean; if a few drops of the ocean are dirty, the ocean does not become dirty."

"An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind."

Mahatma Gandhi

Enneagram: 9w1

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram

There's quite a bit of research out there on the careers different types cluster into, but it isn't a real simple linear process.
    • If you're using teh official MBTI in research, you have to remember that it;s a self-reporting instrument so about 70% of your sample will be typed correctly unless you go through teh standard verification process so that your research is based on best fit type
    • Majors can lead to so many careers that the results aren't quite as clear.
    • even within a field liek medicine, we see types clustering into different specialties. For example, there are more EF family practitioners, more IT pathologists, more ST orthopedic surgeons, etc.
    • For majors...most philosophy majors prefer N. A preponderance of English majors are NF, but of course there are English majors of every type.

So your question was if it's useful. If used properly, you should see patterns. there's a ton of published stuff on career patterns, a little bit on majors. As far as applying what you learn, type is always supposed to be used to open possibilities, not limit. So one wouldn't want school counselors saying, "Well, you're an ISFP. You shouldn't be thinking about hard sciences." Instead they should be asking, "What's your motivation for thinking about biology? what has been your experience wiht science classes?" You wouldn't want them handing students lists of majors by types and saying choose from these because it's motivation that drives success, not just type preferences..
    edcoaching

MBTI
    ISFP

thanks guys!!! i have a second question...

since each personality type has its own description, how can we know what courses can we take? like for ISFP... one of the occupation for ISFP is artist... so i should get an art major. something like that. am i going off topic now? sorry..

ish red no longer *sad* nightning's Avatar
    MBTI
    INfj

Quote Originally Posted by haweva View Post
    thanks guys!!! i have a second question...

since each personality type has its own description, how can we know what courses can we take? like for ISFP... one of the occupation for ISFP is artist... so i should get an art major. something like that. am i going off topic now? sorry..
    That is a bad way of looking at things. MBTI should be used for understanding, not for limiting yourself to a particular profession or what course you "can" take. Don't let MBTI tell you what you can and cannot take. Pick the course that you show interest in and finds it useful to learn about.

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by haweva View Post
    hello! Im currently doing a research for our school... the aim is to help the student choose the course they would best fit in by using MBTI(Myers-Briggs Type Indicator).. I want to know if how effective is this MBTI to my research hehehe.... thanks
    There are several books written based on that very premise.
    Here are two:
    Do What You Are
    What Color Is Your Parachute