User Tag List

123 Last

Thread: who I am

MBTI
    INTP

Default who I am

The Cognitive Processes Test and the MBTI test show a discord.
    It is interesting to know what is the discrepancy in an individual basis.

Individuality is informality.

Neither the empiric or the abstract study is about individuality.
    It is all about charts and numbers.
    And there they go wrong. Psychology is not about charts and numbers.

Who are you?

What is the indifference in an individual basis?

Why and when did you discover you were different?

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Well, my pattern actually doesn't correspond to type at all. Look, according to this test, my functional preferences don't make any sense at all. The order was:

Ti -- 41.1 (excellent use)
    Si -- 40.4 (excellent use)
    Fi -- 39.2 (excellent use)
    Ne -- 37.5 (excellent use)
    Fe -- 36.6 (excellent use)
    Ni -- 32.1 (good use)
    Te -- 9.9 (unused)
    Se -- 2.8 (unused)

I retook the test today, and got these results. I'm off the wall, aren't I?

Fi -- 42.5 (excellent use)
    Fe -- 41 (excellent use)
    Si -- 36.6 (excellent use)
    Ti -- 34.2 (good use)
    Ni -- 31.6 (good use)
    Ne -- 21.5 (limited use)
    Te -- 20.2 (limited use)
    Se -- 12.2 (unused)

According to this, no type fits. For instance, the first type you would think of after looking at this would be ISTP, but where's the Se? Then maybe ISTJ, but then there's not enough Te. My theoretical dominant and auxiliaries are my weakest functions except for Te and Se. The closest type patterns that make sense are INFP, INTP, and ISFJ. I rarely use Ne, as far as I can tell.

Ti as my strongest function? I'm sure there are several ISTP's and INTP's who would be quick to scoff at such an idea. Just read a few of my past posts. I suppose this test (or my understanding of the questions) must be flawed, because the functional development they're proposing is impossible from the standpoint of pure Jungian theory, Socionic theory, and the MBTI. That would be three against one, right? And it would seem absurd for someone to have five functions with excellent development, wouldn't it?

Well, according to something I read somewhere, the last functions to develop should be the opposite of your dominant and auxiliary. If Se is weakest, then Ni would be dominant (normal). If Te is second-weakest, Fi should be auxiliary (this is an abberation, but Fi is counted as strong). Si and Ti actually test as my strongest functions, but that doesn't seem to make much sense.

Of course, if that is the case, that five of my functions are that strong, then I suppose that could undermine Jungian theory, and invalidate the purpose of all the existing material and theories that have been founded upon it. If that's really a possible outcome, perhaps we should just ignore this test.
    Last edited by Athenian200; 07-20-2007 at 10:43 PM. Reason: adding later results

Permabanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILE

Ne -- 46.9 (excellent use)

Ni -- 46.9 (excellent use)

Te -- 46.1 (excellent use)

Ti -- 43.8 (excellent use)

Si -- 28.5 (average use)

Fi -- 23.5 (limited use)

Se -- 1.4 (unused)

Fe -- 0.3 (unused)

This is one of the best assessments out there, because it's based on your own behavior and not preferences.

I take it now and then. This outlines my probable source for the struggle between a P and J preference.

MBTI
    INFP

extraverted Sensing (Se) - (14.9) unused

introverted Sensing (Si) - (33.4) good use

extraverted Intuiting (Ne) - (39.7) excellent use

introverted Intuiting (Ni) - (32.1) good use

extraverted Thinking (Te) - (13.9) unused

introverted Thinking (Ti) - (22.9) limited use

extraverted Feeling (Fe) - (37.6) excellent use

introverted Feeling (Fi) - (45.7) excellent use

I found that quite interesting, thanks for the link, I hadn't done this one before.
    "No one can be free of the chains that surround them"

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Past results (posted elsewhere)

introverted Thinking (Ti) (49.2)
    extraverted Intuiting (Ne) (42.2)
    introverted Intuiting (Ni) (38)
    extraverted Feeling (Fe) (29.8)
    introverted Feeling (Fi) (28.5)
    extraverted Thinking (Te) (21.7)
    introverted Sensing (Si) (19.5)
    extraverted Sensing (Se) (11.5)

Interestingly, I just retook it and my Ni score was a point above my Ne. So I guess they are very comparable.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

heart on fire

I know, these results always confuse me. My Ti is higher than Te, which according to the INFP profile should be the opposite. My Ni is also higher than it should be as a shadow function.

extraverted Intuiting (Ne) (52.7)
    introverted Feeling (Fi) (46.3)
    introverted Intuiting (Ni) (39.2)
    introverted Thinking (Ti) (32.2)
    introverted Sensing (Si) (22.8)
    extraverted Thinking (Te) (22)
    extraverted Feeling (Fe) (14)
    extraverted Sensing (Se) (10.8)

MBTI
    ISTP

Quote Originally Posted by athenian200 View Post
    If that's really a possible outcome, perhaps we should just ignore this test.
    That is surprisingly Ti of you

Regardless, the test seems to have a problem measuring Ti vs Te. Most test results push the trait itself (F/T/S/N) together, meaning that the P/J divide is actually being testing based on the difference between Xi/Xe. In your case, there is no consistent groupings of traits, which is quite unusual.

It is not impossible, by design of the test, to have multiple well developped functions... it is also theoretically possible unless you are convinced that the J/P trait determines attitude in absolutes. I believe that is demonstratably fallous - it seems like shadow functions are, at best, randomly distributed.

If you want to see how the test normally reports, check out the other responses in this thread - only Jennifer, the IN?P has a strong split on any of the dominant traits. Everyone else has closely matching Ti/Te, Ni/Ne, Si/Se, Fi/Fe. The only people that I know of that don't have extremes of J/P without extremes on traits... but even that isn't consistent.

Also, a lot of INTPs are Ne-Ti dominant. For example, I am *vastly* more Ne than Ti when I test. If I take other tests (even as far as FFM or something robust), my T is quite weak relative to my N, which is extremely high (If to put it perspective 94-97% of the population - I am only more disagreeable than 60% of the population... with 50% being norm). And I measure strongly Te as well.

The short of it being - I agree and either the test or the theory is flawed. I believe it is both.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by ptgatsby View Post
    If you want to see how the test normally reports, check out the other responses in this thread - only Jennifer, the IN?P has a strong split on any of the dominant traits.
    Huh...wha...?

Do you mean the Ne/Ni being comparable? Or what exactly?

Also, a lot of INTPs are Ne-Ti dominant. For example, I am *vastly* more Ne than Ti when I test.
    Which is so funny. Because when you write, you sound much more T and I sound much more N.

And I measure strongly Te as well.
    Yes, you do seem to have that odd quirk about you. ("Data! Show me data!")

The short of it being - I agree and either the test or the theory is flawed. I believe it is both.
    What about the third option of you being flawed?
    (Sorry. have to be thorough!)

You've thought about it more than I have. I found the J/P determination process you hinted at intriguing.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    ISTP

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    Do you mean the Ne/Ni being comparable? Or what exactly?
    This is you Jen;

introverted Thinking (Ti) (49.2)
    extraverted Intuiting (Ne) (42.2)
    introverted Intuiting (Ni) (38)
    extraverted Feeling (Fe) (29.8)
    introverted Feeling (Fi) (28.5)
    extraverted Thinking (Te) (21.7)
    introverted Sensing (Si) (19.5)
    extraverted Sensing (Se) (11.5)

Note that everything else is in pairs. In most cases the ordering is extremely close together - you have 4 traits between Ti and Te! That's unusual on the test.

There are a couple others that have one trait that is gapped, but athenian200 is at the extremes.

Which is so funny. Because when you write, you sound much more T and I sound much more N.
    Hmm, have you ever seen me refuse to change my mind, challenge an idea - including my own - or adopt an ethnocentric view? But you probably have seen me empathise with a situation, or adapt my style to who I'm talking to... MBTI suggests that T is about being logical, which irritates me... it has to do with my empathy and such, which is why I'm not a strong T. I have personal traits in me, rather than just being a bastard.

You can really see my F leak when it gets onto philosophy. Coherence? Objectivity? HAH!

Yes, you do seem to have that odd quirk about you. ("Data! Show me data!")
    Despite being a joke, it's still more about feeding my Ne. I know the weakness in being an extreme N - I need to control the way I determine things. (Have you ever actually seen an NTJ ask for data to form an opinion on a theory!?)

What about the third option of you being flawed?
    (Sorry. have to be thorough!)
    That's a given But I already know that I'm an errant tester because I push the extremes (the real extremes, not the MBTI 100% extremes) on 3 traits.

You've thought about it more than I have. I found the J/P determination process you hinted at intriguing.
    How do you determine Ti or Te. It isn't based on the strength of T - therefore, in theory, the strength of the J/P would determine the strength of Ti over Te. Therefore, in theory, Fi and Fe and so on should be equally divergent.

They are not, therefore there is an issue with the J/P functional view, either with the theory or this particular test.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILE

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    Since you seem so good at determining types based on the way people write, how do you think I sound?