User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    ENTp

Default Personality type as an excuse for bad habits.

Sometimes it seems to me that personality type might be used as an excuse by the individual to justify their actions. For example, I personally never worked on a required project till the last minute. I am talking about writing 10 page articles six hours before they are due. When I look back at it, I always say to myself that I wish I could change it, but that is how it is and how it is probably always going to be. I should just ask my Píness to compromise but it probably wonít.

Whatever type we are, we have no excuse revel in our awful habits.

P = No, it is not ok to procrastinate.
    J = You need to be more flexible with people . . . Really

T = There is no excuse for lack of Compassion/empathy (very few)
    F = You really need to stand up for what you believe even if it might cause conflict.

N = (No complaints here)
    S = (No complaints here)

E = You need to learn to keep that trap shut
    I = You need to seek us Eís out and talk sometime.

(Dramatization Intended)

There are many more excuses that can be garnered up and attributed to each function, and it gets even messier if you wish to introvert/extrovert the functions. Do you ever notice people justifying their shortcomings by type, or even going the extra step of being proud of them? What shortcomings do you personally know for certain functions and is it excusable? How can one work on these short comings?

PS: The ones that seem to piss me off the most are being hard hearted, and procrastinating. The only reason for that is some one I know actually used his type to justify his lack of compassion/laziness.

aren't there billions of people who have absolutely no idea what MBTI is and still say "that's the way i am and i'm too lazy to change it"?
    and i hardly believe that someone would use type as a real excuse for his bad habits, it's more like a cover.....

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTj

That's right. Bad habits shouldn't be excused; it would be better if the word "bad" wasn't even used for habits that are choice of the person and do not harm others. What's bad in procrastinating? What's bad in not wanting to change a plan? Nothing, it's just how it is.
    ENTj 7-3-8 sx/sp

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by G-Virus View Post
    There are many more excuses that can be garnered up and attributed to each function, and it gets even messier if you wish to introvert/extrovert the functions. Do you ever notice people justifying their shortcomings by type, or even going the extra step of being proud of them? What shortcomings do you personally know for certain functions and is it excusable? How can one work on these short comings?

PS: The ones that seem to piss me off the most are being hard hearted, and procrastinating. The only reason for that is some one I know actually used his type to justify his lack of compassion/laziness.
    I agree with you that we should never use our type as an excuse for irresponsible or bad behavior.
    On the other hand, I was always too hard on myself and hated myself for certain traits that turned out to be caused by my type.
    In my case, I learned to accept myself the way I was, and stopped being so hard on myself.
    I think both of those things need to be kept in balance.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    ENTp

Quote Originally Posted by am_i_evil666 View Post
    aren't there billions of people who have absolutely no idea what MBTI is and still say "that's the way i am and i'm too lazy to change it"?
    and i hardly believe that someone would use type as a real excuse for his bad habits, it's more like a cover.....
    Point taken, but since this is an esoteric forum focused on personality types, I directed the question with a focus on that.

Quote Originally Posted by FDG
    That's right. Bad habits shouldn't be excused; it would be better if the word "bad" wasn't even used for habits that are choice of the person and do not harm others. What's bad in procrastinating? What's bad in not wanting to change a plan? Nothing, it's just how it is.
    Sure, it doesnít hurt others, but $100 bucks says most P types would wish they were a little more J like. On the other hand, I think the Jís think we are lazy

Quote Originally Posted by INTJMom
    I agree with you that we should never use our type as an excuse for irresponsible or bad behavior.
    On the other hand, I was always too hard on myself and hated myself for certain traits that turned out to be caused by my type.
    In my case, I learned to accept myself the way I was, and stopped being so hard on myself.
    I think both of those things need to be kept in balance.
    I know what you mean, I am hard on myself too, but I am pretty sure I have a good reason to do it. As always though, I love the wisdom you bring into these convoís, then again, youíre an INTJ and donít care what I think (j/k)

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by FDG View Post
    Nothing, unless it starts interfering with the needs of others. For many people who prefer Judging, the quality of their work actually starts to slip if there's too much time-induced pressure (I"m one of them). As long as the procrastinator (and it's not all Perceiving types...) understands what my last minute is to receive whatever I need to do my part, it can be last minute...

And not wanting to change a plan? Depends on if it's working. Just had a J math teacher continue his plan for teaching fractions even though only 10% of his students mastered the first benchmark. Not much point in sticking to the plan in other words.

I think we could go through the bad side of each habit quite easily in this manner. It isn't about preferences and habits, but about maturity (and hope it doesn't sound like I'm picking on you...just the habits you mentioned which are pretty popular ones!!)
    edcoaching

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTj

Quote Originally Posted by edcoaching View Post
    Nothing, unless it starts interfering with the needs of others. For many people who prefer Judging, the quality of their work actually starts to slip if there's too much time-induced pressure (I"m one of them). As long as the procrastinator (and it's not all Perceiving types...) understands what my last minute is to receive whatever I need to do my part, it can be last minute...

And not wanting to change a plan? Depends on if it's working. Just had a J math teacher continue his plan for teaching fractions even though only 10% of his students mastered the first benchmark. Not much point in sticking to the plan in other words.

I think we could go through the bad side of each habit quite easily in this manner. It isn't about preferences and habits, but about maturity (and hope it doesn't sound like I'm picking on you...just the habits you mentioned which are pretty popular ones!!)
    Yeah I agree, that's why I added - as long as it doesn't harm others -

Sure, it doesnít hurt others, but $100 bucks says most P types would wish they were a little more J like. On the other hand, I think the Jís think we are lazy
    Well maybe, but it's not like being lazy has necessarily a negative impact on the world. Doing too many things can result in excessive stress, premature death, polluting the environment more, excessive consumption of resources, materialism. This said, I'm one of those that naturally tends to be not-lazy, but hey - it's just the way people are wired.
    ENTj 7-3-8 sx/sp

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    ENTp

Quote Originally Posted by edcoaching View Post
    and hope it doesn't sound like I'm picking on you...just the habits you mentioned which are pretty popular ones!!
    Lol, don't worry I have thick skin . . . is that your Fi on active duty? And you had a wonderful response, as did everyone else.

FDG, I envy you. Wanna trade that J'ness for my p'ness?

`~~Philosoflying~~` SillySapienne's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5

I never excuse my bad habits, rather, I *explain* them.

I am all about accountability and when I fuck up, or do something fucked up, more likely than not, I'll fess up, explain why, and apologize for it.
    `
    'Cause you can't handle me...

"A lie is a lie even if everyone believes it. The truth is the truth even if nobody believes it." - David Stevens

"That that is, is. That that is not, is not. Is that it? It is."

Veritatem dies aperit

Ride si sapis

Intelligentle sparkles

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTj

Quote Originally Posted by G-Virus View Post
    FDG, I envy you. Wanna trade that J'ness for my p'ness?
    Are you really sure that you want to always feel like you have to do something? And not being able to sleep past 8 AM? eheh
    ENTj 7-3-8 sx/sp