• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Temperaments (Social Styles)

sdalek

MBTI Type
ISFJ
I was introduced to a new way of typing people yesterday, by temperament, which the developers of this call Social Style and is based on the two qualities of assertiveness and responsiveness. It's something that I hadn't seen before and I was trying to determine what MBTI types these temperament types might be. Since I'm not that skillful at typing, I thought I'd throw this out to the forum for your collective help.

I'll list the style and provide a list of attributes that was given, help me determine what MBTI type might fit.

Driver Style
  • high assertiveness
  • low responsiveness
  • sometimes called directors
  • focus on tasks, not relationships
  • confident, decisive, results-oriented
  • determined to win
  • willing to take risks
  • arrogant and dominating
  • hard time admitting they're wrong
  • not good with people
  • seen as cold and uncaring
  • you must communicate with them professionally or they'll lose respect for you
  • avoid vagueness
  • present goals and objectives, explain how to achieve them in a business-like manner
  • don't get personal or friendly with them, they're not interested

Expressive Style
  • high assertiveness
  • high responsiveness
  • focus on relationships
  • sometimes called socializers
  • open, self-assured, outgoing, enthusiastic, friendly, fun-loving
  • egotistical, undisciplined
  • creative, innovative, good at problem-solving
  • persuasive, talented negotiators
  • don't require much detail
  • need acknowledgement of their accomplishments
  • need opportunities to express their ideas and act on them
  • be enthusiastic and positive with them
  • need opportunities to interact and motivate others

Analytical Style
  • low assertiveness
  • low responsiveness
  • alsot known as thinkers
  • like to solve problems
  • industrious and conscientious
  • will search for perfection which causes deadline problems
  • never accept things as good enough to be completely finished
  • critical and indecisive
  • interested in proof, facts, figures
  • risk adverse
  • require accurate and precise facts
  • tends to ask lots of questions

Amiable Style
  • high responsiveness
  • low assertiveness
  • also known as relaters
  • quiet, avoid conflict and decision making
  • dependent and unsure of themselves
  • conscientious, steady, work to given goals and timetables
  • need structure and plenty of positive attention

I'm thinking:
Analytical Style might be NT's
Amiable Style might be SF's
Expressive Style might be NF's
Driver Style might be ST's

What do you think?

rivercrow

shoshaku jushaku
MBTI Type
type
Moved from Other Psychology Topics -- this seems to be "personality matrix" related.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Just my cursory opinions, but :

Driver = ExT(J)
Expressive = ExF(P)
Analytical = IxTx
Amiable = IxFx

I think the E/I factor is important in the consideration of these. (After all, you call them "social" styles -- so shouldn't it be?)

cafe

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
I match the amiable one more than the expressive. I am normally passive and agreeable unless it is something really important to me like the people I love or a gross injustice.

wildcat

MBTI Type
INTP
I was introduced to a new way of typing people yesterday, by temperament, which the developers of this call Social Style and is based on the two qualities of assertiveness and responsiveness. It's something that I hadn't seen before and I was trying to determine what MBTI types these temperament types might be. Since I'm not that skillful at typing, I thought I'd throw this out to the forum for your collective help.

I'll list the style and provide a list of attributes that was given, help me determine what MBTI type might fit.

Driver Style
  • high assertiveness
  • low responsiveness
  • sometimes called directors
  • focus on tasks, not relationships
  • confident, decisive, results-oriented
  • determined to win
  • willing to take risks
  • arrogant and dominating
  • hard time admitting they're wrong
  • not good with people
  • seen as cold and uncaring
  • you must communicate with them professionally or they'll lose respect for you
  • avoid vagueness
  • present goals and objectives, explain how to achieve them in a business-like manner
  • don't get personal or friendly with them, they're not interested

Expressive Style
  • high assertiveness
  • high responsiveness
  • focus on relationships
  • sometimes called socializers
  • open, self-assured, outgoing, enthusiastic, friendly, fun-loving
  • egotistical, undisciplined
  • creative, innovative, good at problem-solving
  • persuasive, talented negotiators
  • don't require much detail
  • need acknowledgement of their accomplishments
  • need opportunities to express their ideas and act on them
  • be enthusiastic and positive with them
  • need opportunities to interact and motivate others

Analytical Style
  • low assertiveness
  • low responsiveness
  • alsot known as thinkers
  • like to solve problems
  • industrious and conscientious
  • will search for perfection which causes deadline problems
  • never accept things as good enough to be completely finished
  • critical and indecisive
  • interested in proof, facts, figures
  • risk adverse
  • require accurate and precise facts
  • tends to ask lots of questions

Amiable Style
  • high responsiveness
  • low assertiveness
  • also known as relaters
  • quiet, avoid conflict and decision making
  • dependent and unsure of themselves
  • conscientious, steady, work to given goals and timetables
  • need structure and plenty of positive attention

I'm thinking:
Analytical Style might be NT's
Amiable Style might be SF's
Expressive Style might be NF's
Driver Style might be ST's

What do you think?
:) Well I think the Driver Styler is worth the appellation.
He/She is an ESTJ.

Unfortunately there exists also women among the type.
I have seen many.
Well, at least on the screen, in the old days.
The ESTJs do not exactly undervalue the role of the media.
The power game.

Thank you sdalek.
I always thought there was a thing inequitable and unfit about the MBTI descriptions concerning the ESTJ.

And you found what it was, sdalek.

Because you did something these INT chaps never do.
You left the MBTI to understand it.

There were many Americans in Europe after the war.
In the beginning the response to the Americans was very good.

A countermeasure.
The response to their responsiveness.

This is the dilemma about extraversion.

The Europeans had no experience about the new circumstance.
Extraversion is not what it looks like.
The Europeans mistook extraversion for responsiveness.

Extraversion is not about responsiveness.

wildcat

MBTI Type
INTP
Just my cursory opinions, but :

Driver = ExT(J)
Expressive = ExF(P)
Analytical = IxTx
Amiable = IxFx

I think the E/I factor is important in the consideration of these. (After all, you call them "social" styles -- so shouldn't it be?)
Correct by all accounts.

Jasz

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Driver = SJ's
Expressive = NF's
Analytical = NT's
Amiable = SP's

Hellbourn3

MBTI Type
INFJ
Driver = SJ's
Expressive = NF's
Analytical = NT's
Amiable = SP's

I agree with the poster in front of me in that this is definitely not correct. ESFPs don't fit in with that amiable gentry whatsoever.

Is this the same temperament theory in regards to the MBTI too or is it something separate? The first person to reply here treated it as something individual and unique and it seems like this is; the categories here tend to focus more so on one or two types rather than functional or temperamental groupings.

Jasz

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
I agree with the poster in front of me in that this is definitely not correct. ESFPs don't fit in with that amiable gentry whatsoever.

Is this the same temperament theory in regards to the MBTI too or is it something separate? The first person to reply here treated it as something individual and unique and it seems like this is; the categories here tend to focus more so on one or two types rather than functional or temperamental groupings.

the OP theory uses two scales "asking-telling" and "emoting-controlling". e.g. the "analytics" are "asking+controlling" and the "expressives" are "emoting+telling". we did it at work and the people in each of the four groups were a near complete correlations to the Keirsey temperaments i mentioned. i know that because we did MBTI the year before.

it might not fit your ideas but it near-correlated to a real-life group of 30 people.

sdalek

MBTI Type
ISFJ
the OP theory uses two scales "asking-telling" and "emoting-controlling". e.g. the "analytics" are "asking+controlling" and the "expressives" are "emoting+telling". we did it at work and the people in each of the four groups were a near complete correlations to the Keirsey temperaments i mentioned. i know that because we did MBTI the year before.

it might not fit your ideas but it near-correlated to a real-life group of 30 people.

So you think it's Keirsey based?

rivercrow

shoshaku jushaku
MBTI Type
type

Thanks--I kept thinking in terms of temperaments, Keirsey's or otherwise--but I also wondered if maybe this was a wholly different system (or based on a different system).

Hellbourn3

MBTI Type
INFJ
Well I think some specific types are definitely represented but not drive groupings.

wildcat

MBTI Type
INTP
It is good that sdalek brought this up. This is important stuff. It highlights the problem we have in Cognitive Processes Tests: These things do not have the Lie Scale. And they should have.
Eysenck found out the L (the Lie scale) is also a personality continuum. When I made my acquaintance with the MBTI I knew immediately the L is ESFJ.

EJ is assertive and IP is non assertive. EP and IJ are neutral.

FP is responsive and TJ is non responsive. FJ and TP are neutral.

ESTJ is assertive and non responsive. No problem there. They appear to be responsive but are not. Appearance does not count.

Now it says that the Expressive Styler is both assertive and responsive. An impossibility. IF she is assertive- an ESFJ- her responsiveness is neutral at most. She is an E which means she appears to be responsive. She is an L which means in the CPT she is lying.

Xander

Lex Parsimoniae
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w8
Sdalek,

Have you ever seen the FIRO stuff? It seems to correlate to this quite well though I think it allows for you to be more in the middle (I noted that I'm not one clear type for instance).

I think the test is one of those paid for ones that don't appear much online but I'm sure Crowsie has something on them somewhere. Have a look at that. I think you'll find it's kinda like the component version of what your on about here.

sdalek

MBTI Type
ISFJ
Sdalek,

Have you ever seen the FIRO stuff? It seems to correlate to this quite well though I think it allows for you to be more in the middle (I noted that I'm not one clear type for instance).

I think the test is one of those paid for ones that don't appear much online but I'm sure Crowsie has something on them somewhere. Have a look at that. I think you'll find it's kinda like the component version of what your on about here.

Thanks. I'll check into.

Eric B

ⒺⓉⒷ
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Berens herself links the Social Styles to the Interaction Styles (As well as DISC):
Driver=In Charge (EST/ENJ; extraverted, directive; D)
Expressive=Get Things going (ESF/ENP; extraverted, informing; I)
Analytical=Chart the Course (IST/INJ; introverted, directive; C)
Amiable=Behind the Scenes (ISF/INP; introverted, informing; S)

Just now noticing the "similar threads" list at the bottom, and all these topics I had missed. Xander is spot on for mentioning FIRO, as Social/Interaction Stype and Keirseyan temperament appears to map to two of FIRO's areas.

NewEra

MBTI Type
I
I fit in both the Driver and Analytical characteristics.

Shadow

MBTI Type
INTJ
I fit in both the Driver and Analytical characteristics.

Same, I'm sort of inbetween (mainly because I'd say I had high assertiveness), but mostly I fit with Analytical. Driver sounds more ESTJ/ENTJ.