• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

MBTI helped you? Tell us!

Ghost of the dead horse

filling some space
MBTI Type
ENTJ
*named Cases of applied MBTI being helpful - collect them! before. Damned, what does it take to write an interesting title?
So, I'll start.

I'm telling how finding out my girlfriend's type helped her to find a depressed function, which she now more readily utilizes, and how it helped me to understand her needs better. We're both enjoying about it all now.

So I had a long lasting communication problem in the relationship with my girlfriend. She was happy about being silent for long periods of time, and she struggled finding the right words. She also hated to respond right away; she rather responded after few days, unless it was a trivial matter. Much of her spontaneous talk seemed to circle around good pieces of information she had learned (ISTP? INTP?) , which was interesting, and spontaneous criticism (my shirt doesn not look good, I made an error in word, etc), which I didn't take that well, especially if that was all she spoke. I was seeking to find a method of communication that would have been more interesting for her, to get her open up a bit.

She tested out as an INTP, and I started remembering some times when she had been less inhibited in a way natural for that type. I figured it was some Ne going on. We talked about function theory and she told having been discouraged to talk as a kid. Not having had much opportunity for talk at home, she had developed a non-communicative, independent thinking style for herself. I told her about the nice vibes of Ne I had read from her, how she really seemed to light up with all that. She seemed to be noticeably smart, fast and fun whenever she got to that mood.

Sadly, a few days after we had a fight. I ended up mocking her for some bad INTP traits I hated in her, mainly getting in an information-gathering and thinking loop and distancing herself from the situation, even though she was right there with me! (forgive me, MBTI gods!)

I was thinking our relationship was worthless as ever, but she texted me; she had open some kind of a door of opportunity and felt open to talk. I was surprised how our confrontation had any redeeming qualities. I remembered reading something from the INTP description.. they often believe their communication be of extreme importance, so I arranged an extra day off work which we spent together. I relaxed the time a lot, arranged things to do in a much more independent manner, listened to her much longer and in the end, we had had great time, and I felt real connection to her.. first time for, .. weeks.

I noticed I had loosened up from my ENTJ ways a lot. I focused on ways which an ENTJ might do wrong for an INTP, and I found my ways weren't always the best for maintaining a good relationship. I had usually rushed to the next thing.. but it stopped her line of thinking, contributing to the said Ti loop. So, both of us found things to develop.

We both enjoy our strengthened relationship at the moment.

Synarch

Once Was
MBTI Type
ENTP
It has helped me get along better with people in general since I need to understand how they think more so than rely on empathy, which is difficult especially in casual relationships like at work, etc. It has also made me appreciate the ways in which people are different since it allows me to interpret behaviors and thinking as belonging to just a different mode of perceiving and interacting with the world.

mlittrell

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
9w1
i use MBTI subconsciously in literally every situation in my life. it helps me understand where people are coming from more often and allows me to respond to people in a way that they can understand. it helps me speak their language

Usehername

On a mission
It has helped me get along better with people in general since I need to understand how they think more so than rely on empathy, which is difficult especially in casual relationships like at work, etc. It has also made me appreciate the ways in which people are different since it allows me to interpret behaviors and thinking as belonging to just a different mode of perceiving and interacting with the world.

You use empathy naturally.

the intellectual identification with or vicarious experiencing of the feelings, thoughts, or attitudes of another.

wolfy

awsm
It's helped me in that I realise their are a fair few others with the same quirks as me.
It also helped me to understand the dumb stupid things I do.

I'm wiser for it.

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
It helps to justify things, but it doesnt help to understand people. At least I have still the idea of asking them before I judge them. Guess it helped me getting isolated from society further. But on the other hand, that was no big loss ...

GargoylesLegacy

Kickin' Ass since 1984
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
8w9
For me it did different Things:
~ It helped me understand MYSELF better
~ It helped me to think less that I am stupid (as in dumb), insane or Anything negative People wanted me to believe
~ It helped me to find People like me and make my Mind stop from saying "I am sooooo bored. Noone is on my Level"

And also it actually DID make me step away from People a Bit. But that's a good Thing in my Case. They used me too often anyways. And I really should focus on my Success too for once.
A nice Side-Effect of this was also, that it didn't bother me too much that my BF and me split. That's cool.

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
I'm still learning about it actually and recently was lent the book "Please understand me" or something to read and I've cracked it open just barely.. I'll get to read more this weekend but.. srsly, from what little I know, I am enjoying the benefits. While they aren't universal rules.. I can definitely see WHY I have to take on a STJ suit with some people, while others I can totally ENFP out and it's fine. It's less frustrating to know that ISTJs just don't express enthusiasm the same way I do.. making me realize that someone just saying "Yeah I liked it." .. Might mean they really do.. whereas with me.. If I were to be so bland it'd definitely mean otherwise most of the time.

I suppose there's a sense of selflessness in educating yourself on the way others think.. making your attitude toward them a better one in general.

Bonus: I now know people think like me.. and It's perfectly fine to be the way I am. I really thought I might be out of the ordinary or crazy for a long long time.. I'm a lot more secure in who I am as a result of being proved otherwise.

GargoylesLegacy

Kickin' Ass since 1984
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
8w9
Das klingt gut, in dem Fall :)
Yeah it freaking IS!
Man, I used to be a realllllly clingy Something in my Teen Years. I was able to cut it down but People were still able to use me. But with all this MBTI Thing going on, I "now know" it is okay for me being "arrogant, egoistic and an Ass". Horray for INTJs and MBTI, really. :huh:

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
yeah may the ENFJ's äh ENFP's whatever INTJ's be with us :D

The good thing is, I am out of ideas here... so things have to get better around this country. One day, some time. I bet I wont be there to live it.

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
-
Yes, to the extent to which it helps lead me to the main reference Psychological types and further Jung books. I used to suffer from hypersomnia 2008-2010, 2011. I was introduced to MBTI in 2014, I read the gifts differing, and further the Psychological Types. I did extensive research of myself with the goal to figure out my type through memory. The Hypersomnia can relapse if i repeat what I did when that happened. So, I have been trying to avoid doing that again, of course with the knowledge of the type, mainly Jungian.
Not only me, My sister also (ISTP) suffer from a psychological condition that she once had to be brought to psychiatry and eat some medication that make her sleep virtually all days. I wish I could grow her interest in theoretical psychology. But she seems to have other interest. May be I can use the knowledge of psychological type further for her.

Maou

Mythos
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Its helped me understand myself more, that is for sure. As well as why others are the way they are.

Earl Grey

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Delightful. It has provided me with the oil I did not know I need, to the gears I did not know existed. No longer are other people aliens! (or at least, not as much as they were)

I have actually have had visible (not just to myself, but also others) improvement in my capability of interacting and communicating with different kinds of people. MBTI has taught me that there are many roads to a goal, and sometimes you just need to give people the right grease to get them rolling. To me, in learning MBTI, I have provided myself with a cheat blueprint to a person's probable values and interests, which is based off an understanding how each dichotomy works (not that E-TJ = dominant boss or I-FP = unique hippie child BS, but the underlying reasons). These are the beginnings, and once you have a better grasp of the finer details of their workings, you can apply them into the broader strokes within their personality (including if they indeed are a dominant boss or hippie child). I am also better able to discern if the way someone is presenting themselves is an idealized figure or their true self, and ply that out if needed. It is easier to discern and differentiate if you know what to look for, and what you are looking at.

For a E5 who always wanted to try apply a more systematic structure in order to be able to understand and interact with people, this angle of view looks great for me, and most importantly of all, it works.

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
-
I try to figure out how to interact effectively with a certain types using the MBTI type knowledge. Like how to interact effectively with ESFJ.

Non_xsense

MBTI Type
Fool
For me at least ... i think i understand people alot better right now (of course reality is alot more complex than the theory ).
I started reading sicology and mbti when i was 27 years old ,so it was a revelation the first time.

Yuurei

Noncompliant
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w7
A little. I tend to have a hard time expressing my thoughts or even explaining how I get them. It sometimes seems like sub-conscious and waking brain are entirely foriegn and do not speak the same language.
Turns out; they actually don't. It's the Te/ Ni dichotomy.

I still have a difficult time getting the two on the same page but at least those who know me-an the MBTI -understand a little better that yes, the thoughts are there and they make sense I just have a hard time expressing them outwardly.

Oh yes! It’s explained everything. It’s helped me understand the tax code and quantum physics, and it’s taught me how to make a better soufflé, and also stopped the hair from thinning on the top of my head!

Seriously? Nah, not really. Though I have met a few cool people because of it.