User Tag List

12 Last

filling some space UnitOfPopulation's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTJ

Default MBTI helped you? Tell us!

*named Cases of applied MBTI being helpful - collect them! before. Damned, what does it take to write an interesting title?
    So, I'll start.

I'm telling how finding out my girlfriend's type helped her to find a depressed function, which she now more readily utilizes, and how it helped me to understand her needs better. We're both enjoying about it all now.

So I had a long lasting communication problem in the relationship with my girlfriend. She was happy about being silent for long periods of time, and she struggled finding the right words. She also hated to respond right away; she rather responded after few days, unless it was a trivial matter. Much of her spontaneous talk seemed to circle around good pieces of information she had learned (ISTP? INTP?) , which was interesting, and spontaneous criticism (my shirt doesn not look good, I made an error in word, etc), which I didn't take that well, especially if that was all she spoke. I was seeking to find a method of communication that would have been more interesting for her, to get her open up a bit.

She tested out as an INTP, and I started remembering some times when she had been less inhibited in a way natural for that type. I figured it was some Ne going on. We talked about function theory and she told having been discouraged to talk as a kid. Not having had much opportunity for talk at home, she had developed a non-communicative, independent thinking style for herself. I told her about the nice vibes of Ne I had read from her, how she really seemed to light up with all that. She seemed to be noticeably smart, fast and fun whenever she got to that mood.

Sadly, a few days after we had a fight. I ended up mocking her for some bad INTP traits I hated in her, mainly getting in an information-gathering and thinking loop and distancing herself from the situation, even though she was right there with me! (forgive me, MBTI gods!)

I was thinking our relationship was worthless as ever, but she texted me; she had open some kind of a door of opportunity and felt open to talk. I was surprised how our confrontation had any redeeming qualities. I remembered reading something from the INTP description.. they often believe their communication be of extreme importance, so I arranged an extra day off work which we spent together. I relaxed the time a lot, arranged things to do in a much more independent manner, listened to her much longer and in the end, we had had great time, and I felt real connection to her.. first time for, .. weeks.

I noticed I had loosened up from my ENTJ ways a lot. I focused on ways which an ENTJ might do wrong for an INTP, and I found my ways weren't always the best for maintaining a good relationship. I had usually rushed to the next thing.. but it stopped her line of thinking, contributing to the said Ti loop. So, both of us found things to develop.

We both enjoy our strengthened relationship at the moment.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

MBTI
    ENTP

It has helped me get along better with people in general since I need to understand how they think more so than rely on empathy, which is difficult especially in casual relationships like at work, etc. It has also made me appreciate the ways in which people are different since it allows me to interpret behaviors and thinking as belonging to just a different mode of perceiving and interacting with the world.
    "Create like a god, command like a king, work like a slave."

filling some space UnitOfPopulation's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTJ

Any experience of a situation where it helped to tell someone of the MBTI?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    9w1

i use MBTI subconsciously in literally every situation in my life. it helps me understand where people are coming from more often and allows me to respond to people in a way that they can understand. it helps me speak their language
    "Honest differences are often a healthy sign of progress. "

"You must not lose faith in humanity. Humanity is an ocean; if a few drops of the ocean are dirty, the ocean does not become dirty."

"An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind."

Mahatma Gandhi

Enneagram: 9w1

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Synarch View Post
    It has helped me get along better with people in general since I need to understand how they think more so than rely on empathy, which is difficult especially in casual relationships like at work, etc. It has also made me appreciate the ways in which people are different since it allows me to interpret behaviors and thinking as belonging to just a different mode of perceiving and interacting with the world.
    You use empathy naturally.

the intellectual identification with or vicarious experiencing of the feelings, thoughts, or attitudes of another.
    *You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body.
    *Faith is the art of holding on to things your reason once accepted, despite your changing moods.
    C.S. Lewis

It's helped me in that I realise their are a fair few others with the same quirks as me.
    It also helped me to understand the dumb stupid things I do.

I'm wiser for it.

MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram

It helps to justify things, but it doesnt help to understand people. At least I have still the idea of asking them before I judge them. Guess it helped me getting isolated from society further. But on the other hand, that was no big loss ...
    [URL]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEBvftJUwDw&t=0s[/URL]

Kickin' Ass since 1984 GargoylesLegacy's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    8w9
    Socionics
    esTp

For me it did different Things:
    ~ It helped me understand MYSELF better
    ~ It helped me to think less that I am stupid (as in dumb), insane or Anything negative People wanted me to believe
    ~ It helped me to find People like me and make my Mind stop from saying "I am sooooo bored. Noone is on my Level"

And also it actually DID make me step away from People a Bit. But that's a good Thing in my Case. They used me too often anyways. And I really should focus on my Success too for once.
    A nice Side-Effect of this was also, that it didn't bother me too much that my BF and me split. That's cool.
    Rule #1: Driver picks the music. Shotgun shuts his cakehole.

Again, Demons I get, but people are just crazy.

ESTP? o.O

MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by GargoylesLegacy View Post
    And also it actually DID make me step away from People a Bit. But that's a good Thing in my Case.
    Das klingt gut, in dem Fall
    [URL]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEBvftJUwDw&t=0s[/URL]

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

I'm still learning about it actually and recently was lent the book "Please understand me" or something to read and I've cracked it open just barely.. I'll get to read more this weekend but.. srsly, from what little I know, I am enjoying the benefits. While they aren't universal rules.. I can definitely see WHY I have to take on a STJ suit with some people, while others I can totally ENFP out and it's fine. It's less frustrating to know that ISTJs just don't express enthusiasm the same way I do.. making me realize that someone just saying "Yeah I liked it." .. Might mean they really do.. whereas with me.. If I were to be so bland it'd definitely mean otherwise most of the time.

I suppose there's a sense of selflessness in educating yourself on the way others think.. making your attitude toward them a better one in general.

Bonus: I now know people think like me.. and It's perfectly fine to be the way I am. I really thought I might be out of the ordinary or crazy for a long long time.. I'm a lot more secure in who I am as a result of being proved otherwise.
    Kantgirl: Just say "I'm feminine and I'll punch anyone who says otherwise!"
    Halla74: Think your way through the world. Feel your way through life.

Cimarron: maybe Prpl will be your girl-bud
    prplchknz: i don't like it

In Search Of... ... Kiwi Sketch Art ... Dream Journal ... Kyuuei's Cook book ... Kyu's Tiny House Blog ... Minimalist Challenge ... Kyu's Savings Challenge