User Tag List

First 78910 Last

ish red no longer *sad* nightning's Avatar
    MBTI
    INfj

Yes, I'd imagine he has a word or a few hundred to say on the topic if you get him started. Not sure if appreciation, direct or other wise carries much weight with him. I guess we can but try.

Anyways, it's getting late. I best to off. Thank you for your posts.

MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram

you too, gn8
    [URL]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEBvftJUwDw&t=0s[/URL]

Banned
    MBTI
    type

Quote Originally Posted by nightning View Post
    Yes, I'd imagine he has a word or a few hundred to say on the topic if you get him started. Not sure if appreciation, direct or other wise carries much weight with him. I guess we can but try.

Anyways, it's getting late. I best to off. Thank you for your posts.
    I could say "Read my posts again."

Or I could re-emphasize that the system has no use other than self-contemplation, because it's completely impossible to type anyone with it, not to mention pointless, because there are too many types to maintain an effective, useful system of generalization.

But I would probably just use a run-on sentence and sound like a smartass if I did that.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Flak View Post

Or I could re-emphasize that the system has no use other than self-contemplation, because it's completely impossible to type anyone with it, not to mention pointless, because there are too many types to maintain an effective, useful system of generalization.

But I would probably just use a run-on sentence and sound like a smartass if I did that.
    How is it impossible to type anyone with it? You just type them the exact same way...try to figure out their distribution of functions and find the best fit type.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    9w1

Quote Originally Posted by dissonance View Post
    "it ignores function orientation which is an extremely important part of function theory"

Huh?
    the predefined orientation of one function to another. for example, and INTP has these 4 predefined functions: Ti, Ne, Si, Fe. the functions can bend but never break this orientation.
    "Honest differences are often a healthy sign of progress. "

"You must not lose faith in humanity. Humanity is an ocean; if a few drops of the ocean are dirty, the ocean does not become dirty."

"An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind."

Mahatma Gandhi

Enneagram: 9w1

MBTI
    INfj

Why are you insisting to call a cat, a cat and a dog, a dog again?

My point is not to type anyone. My point is to understand their personality related tendencies. That means no types, no boxes. I don't want to generalize and describe the "average" person. That's useless. I want to understand individuals. Do I make myself clear?

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    9w1

Why are you insisting to call a cat, a cat and a dog, a dog again?

My point is not to type anyone. My point is to understand their personality related tendencies. That means no types, no boxes. I don't want to generalize and describe the "average" person. That's useless. I want to understand individuals. Do I make myself clear?
    that last statement...i couldn't agree more good man. types are a foundation for understanding people. no more. no less. a persons overall consciousness cannot be contained in four/eight letters. if you look at my signature you get but a brief understanding of who i truly am, but it is nothing more than a snapshot.
    "Honest differences are often a healthy sign of progress. "

"You must not lose faith in humanity. Humanity is an ocean; if a few drops of the ocean are dirty, the ocean does not become dirty."

"An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind."

Mahatma Gandhi

Enneagram: 9w1

Quote Originally Posted by mlittrell View Post
    the predefined orientation of one function to another. for example, and INTP has these 4 predefined functions: Ti, Ne, Si, Fe. the functions can bend but never break this orientation.
    The bolded portion is the biggest flaw in the system in my opinion and in the opinion of many of the counselors and psychologists that I have spoken to regarding this. Many have stated that decades of clinical work has led them to believe that yes functions exist, but order and development is quite circumstantial.

Banned
    MBTI
    type

You don't need a type system to psychoanalyze a select few individuals.

dissonance: I suppose I understand your motivation, but it's my personally confident assessment that the execution will go nowhere. The system's too complex, and this leads to two things: 1., Conclusions will vary from day to day. It's not static. 2., It's extremely difficult to pin down the variables even for one instant of a person's life.

MBTI
    INfj

You don't need a type system to psychoanalyze a select few individuals.

dissonance: I suppose I understand your motivation, but it's my personally confident assessment that the execution will go nowhere. The system's too complex, and this leads to two things: 1., Conclusions will vary from day to day. It's not static. 2., It's extremely difficult to pin down the variables even for one instant of a person's life.
    You are correct. I don't need a type system. The Big 5 is suffice is I only wish to describe individuals. I also wish to use the system to make predictions. Currently the Big 5 is not helpful in predicting behavior. MBTI however has been applied. So it seems to be a better starting point. That's all.

Point about the system being consistent. I'm a practical person. If it's useful, I keep it, regardless of how consistent the exact number might be. I don't care about the numbers precisely, I care about the overall pattern. Whether the patterns can be used to predict behavior. Any other objections?