User Tag List

First 8910

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by mlittrell View Post
    the predefined orientation of one function to another. for example, and INTP has these 4 predefined functions: Ti, Ne, Si, Fe. the functions can bend but never break this orientation.
    Ah yes. I brought this up earlier in the thread...

If you use spectrums for each function, you also need to mention the correlation between introversion of thinking and extroversion of feeling (and vice versa, and for S/N).

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    9w1

Quote Originally Posted by Frank View Post
    The bolded portion is the biggest flaw in the system in my opinion and in the opinion of many of the counselors and psychologists that I have spoken to regarding this. Many have stated that decades of clinical work has led them to believe that yes functions exist, but order and development is quite circumstantial.
    the current temperament system is derived from functions and their orientation. without the orientation of the functions, the current temperament system wouldn't work, and on a personal note i find that the temperaments are quite a bit more effective than the functions. also i believe that the functions are all used but you will see one more than another in certain circumstances. all this meaning you need to use your functions but some may be seen as more dominant as another even though are using multiple functions at once. this is the bend im talking about. also, in a clinical setting, a psychologist is going to use MBTI as a tool but they aren't sitting there thinking "hmm that must be his/her Fi flaring up" they are intuitive to a point were they dont need to consciously use MBTI.

Ah yes. I brought this up earlier in the thread...

If you use spectrums for each function, you also need to mention the correlation between introversion of thinking and extroversion of feeling (and vice versa, and for S/N).
    precisely
    "Honest differences are often a healthy sign of progress. "

"You must not lose faith in humanity. Humanity is an ocean; if a few drops of the ocean are dirty, the ocean does not become dirty."

"An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind."

Mahatma Gandhi

Enneagram: 9w1

[QUOTE=mlittrell;402807]the current temperament system is derived from functions and their orientation. without the orientation of the functions, the current temperament system wouldn't work, and on a personal note i find that the temperaments are quite a bit more effective than the functions. also i believe that the functions are all used but you will see one more than another in certain circumstances. all this meaning you need to use your functions but some may be seen as more dominant as another even though are using multiple functions at once. this is the bend im talking about. also, in a clinical setting, a psychologist is going to use MBTI as a tool but they aren't sitting there thinking "hmm that must be his/her Fi flaring up" they are intuitive to a point were they dont need to consciously use MBTI.

Just because they don't "need" to use the theory does not mean they cannot use their work to deepen their understanding of it. And yes, after 20 or so years of this work they are intuitive enough to make these connections without too much conscious thought other than instant identification. It is precisely because of this fact that I am more willing to trust their intuitions.

Banned
    MBTI
    type

Quote Originally Posted by Frank View Post
    also, in a clinical setting, a psychologist is going to use MBTI as a tool but they aren't sitting there thinking "hmm that must be his/her Fi flaring up" they are intuitive to a point were they dont need to consciously use MBTI.
    This is probably the best point I've never personally thought of.

To rephrase: If you're brilliant and intuitive enough to figure out a type system including more than sixteen types, then the last thing you would ever need is a "type system."

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    9w1

there is no system that can fully describe the human cognition and for ill i care, there will never be. MBTI is as close as you get.

and your rephrase is excellent sir
    "Honest differences are often a healthy sign of progress. "

"You must not lose faith in humanity. Humanity is an ocean; if a few drops of the ocean are dirty, the ocean does not become dirty."

"An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind."

Mahatma Gandhi

Enneagram: 9w1

ish red no longer *sad* nightning's Avatar
    MBTI
    INfj

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Flak View Post
    This is probably the best point I've never personally thought of.

To rephrase: If you're brilliant and intuitive enough to figure out a type system including more than sixteen types, then the last thing you would ever need is a "type system."
    Yes exactly! Wouldn't that be great?