User Tag List

12 Last

Thread: "Does it fit"?

beyondaurora

Question "Does it fit"?

I was reading this blog, specifically the part about functions as below:

"The four "rational" or "judging" functions are:

Te: Extroverted Thinking - The utilitarian function. Te whittles down possible courses of action by testing them for their utility and feasibility. People who make prominent use of Te tend to use a heuristically-oriented form of thinking in which the first possible solution that appears to be both useful and workable is chosen. "Will it work?"

Ti: Introverted Thinking - The logical function. Ti is the kind of thinking we use when writing proofs in math class. It takes things one step at a time and likes to arrive at the best answer - along with an argument for why it's the best answer. Of the rational functions, Ti is generally the slowest - but also the most likely to arrive at an optimal solution (assuming that there exists an objectively optimal solution). "Is it correct?"

Fe: Extroverted Feeling - The affiliative function. Fe arrives at decisions in a similar manner as is used by Te - the main difference being that Fe is more concerned with helpfulness than usefulness. Also like Te, Fe is heuristically-oriented and tends to snap to the first satisfactory solution rather than laboriously looking for the best of all possible approaches. Combined with the instinctive nature of "feeling" thought, Fe is generally the fastest of the decision-making functions (but also the one that tends to generate the greatest number of way-off conclusions which then have to be filtered out by peer critique or personal reflection). "Will it please?"

Fi: Introverted Feeling - The moral function. Fi is a form of decision-making thought anchored in one's internal moral code. Decisions made using Fi will settle upon the course of action which lies closest to the decision-maker's personal values. "Is it right?""

What I'm wondering is, where does "does it fit" fit?

Now, I could have restructured the previous sentence for ease of reading, but I'm leaving it "as is" to illustrate my point.

Stay with me for a moment...

Imagine a large, dark room with thousands of multicolored shapes and patterns, grids and molds, swirling in the background. Then imagine an invisible stream of air that rapidly sucks up the nearby objects. Brought into the foreground, the individual objects are flipped through rapidly, side by side, to check for a "match". If such a match occurs, the objects are linked together and rotated again through the cycle. And this goes on and on and on.

This is my mind. And in many ways, this process exhausts me. Sometimes I would like to just shut down the factory for awhile.

So my question to you is which process is responsible for "does it fit"?

MBTI
    INTP

I think you posed that question to unnecessarily parse out the selection of feeling, maybe its just my thinking bias. In that sense maybe you've created something that tests for biases in interpretation.

This process to me seems to linear and progressive. Ti seems to me more hectic and rapid (with the bias that it is supported by intuition). So from your statement I would conclude Te with a S partnership. In the end it seems as if you would have a continuous accurate chain from beginning to end that incorporates only what is necessary at the time. There seems to be no thought aloud for future implications and no benchmark run after the fact to test for validity in different contexts.

It seems as if your explanation goes through a predetermined process and parses out only whats relevant there doesn't seem to be other process at play that would allow for cross referencing which is a Ti-Ne or Ne-Ti method.
    My cold, snide, intellectual life is just a veneer, behind which lies the plywood of loneliness.

MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    5x/o

Doesn't sound like any judging process- sounds like a perceiving process. Si or Ni, actually.

MBTI
    INTP

One time my friend told me he knows a guy and a girl who were going out, and the girl was a virgin, and she didn't think the guy's penis would fit in her vagina. So she let him stick it in just to see if it fit, but they didn't have sex. Now people ask them, "does it fit?"

I don't believe this story, but I'm just saying, it's out there.

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Colors View Post
    Doesn't sound like any judging process- sounds like a perceiving process. Si or Ni, actually.
    I think to perceive you likewise have to judge. No?

Endless loop ring a bell?
    My cold, snide, intellectual life is just a veneer, behind which lies the plywood of loneliness.

Quote Originally Posted by beyondaurora View Post
    [COLOR="Navy"]

Imagine a large, dark room with thousands of multicolored shapes and patterns, grids and molds, swirling in the background. Then imagine an invisible stream of air that rapidly sucks up the nearby objects. Brought into the foreground, the individual objects are flipped through rapidly, side by side, to check for a "match". If such a match occurs, the objects are linked together and rotated again through the cycle. And this goes on and on and on.

This is my mind. And in many ways, this process exhausts me. Sometimes I would like to just shut down the factory for awhile.
    Ni. I can turn it on and off.

MBTI
    INFP

Will it blend?

MBTI
    isfp

Quote Originally Posted by beyondaurora View Post
    I was reading Stay with me for a moment...

So my question to you is which process is responsible for "does it fit"?
    What do you want to do with the shapes when you find a match? By pairing things up, do the pairs become more meaningful and memorable to you than if they remained alone? What happens to the pairs -- do they split up again, or do they stay together? Do you consciously remember any sets of pairs?

By asking "does it fit", are you asking "Is it relevant?" Do you want to know which shapes will be useful to you right now, to solve a real-life problem? (Se)

Are you wanting to know which shapes are worth valuing (the ones that you can find pairs for vs. the ones that don't)? (Fi)

Or are you looking to consciously create pairs that might have symbolic meaning for you, so that you can use them to gain insight into some area of your life that you want to change? (Ni + Se)?

Sarah
    ISFP

beyondaurora

Quote Originally Posted by Aimahn View Post
    I think to perceive you likewise have to judge. No?

Endless loop ring a bell?

Ah, but an endless loop it is for me! Something comes together, seems to fit, but later in the process it drops its pairing and fits something else!

This answers your question, Sarah - yes, they split up again.

Quote Originally Posted by sarah View Post
    Do you want to know which shapes will be useful to you right now, to solve a real-life problem? (Se)

Hmmm...maybe.

Are you wanting to know which shapes are worth valuing (the ones that you can find pairs for vs. the ones that don't)? (Fi)
    No, I don't think so.

Or are you looking to consciously create pairs that might have symbolic meaning for you, so that you can use them to gain insight into some area of your life that you want to change? (Ni + Se)?
    I'm not sure about the "symbolic" aspect of it, but "to gain insight into some area of your life that you want to change" is spot on!

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    548 sp/sx
    Socionics
    INTj

I like this last paragraph, as it really helps sort out the differences:

Fe also differs significantly from Fi in that Fe applies ethical judgments to the intended and actual effects of one's actions while Fi applies ethical judgments to the actions themselves. In a similar vein, Te is predominantly results-oriented while Ti is more process-oriented.
    APS Profile: Inclusion: e/w=1/6 (Supine) |Control: e/w=7/3 (Choleric) |Affection: e/w=1/9 (Supine)
    Ti 54.3 | Ne 47.3 | Si 37.8 | Fe 17.7 | Te 22.5 | Ni 13.4 | Se 18.9 | Fi 27.9

Temperament (APS) from scratch -- MBTI Type from scratch
    Type Ideas