User Tag List

First 1234 Last

beyondaurora

Quote Originally Posted by Aimahn View Post
    I think you're on to something. My dad is an INTJ(Ni-Te) and due to his primary Introverted Intuition he is obviously more in tune with the theoretical aspects of things, hes an electrical engineer, but he is absolutely efficiency oriented. He only ever expresses his ideas and thoughts on a topic in little bite sized pieces that are just the bare minimum required for the overall whole body of work. Hes rather meticulous too.

It's absolutely maddening to me as a Ti-Ne because he will just express the facts and ideas necessary to complete (I drive him away with theory, convos always end in thats nice but wheres the deliverable) the task at hand and is remarkably good at it. I think with what seems like you're S preference you are even more acutely aware of the details necessary and don't bother focusing to much on the theoretical background of why they may be necessary. I think it's perfectly normal and is just a function of the way you process things, I don't think its up to a lack of intellectual curiosity, its a skill that many wish they could have.

I can't tell you how often, during a conversation with someone, I'm thinking, "For the love of God, get to the $#^%&$* point!". I try to have patience, but even during a conversation I'm constantly sifting out what's relevant (this goes along with this other thread I've got going).

MBTI
    eNFJ
    Enneagram
    4w3 sx/so
    Socionics
    eNFJ Ni

Quote Originally Posted by Aimahn View Post
    I think you're on to something. My dad is an INTJ(Ni-Te) and due to his primary Introverted Intuition he is obviously more in tune with the theoretical aspects of things, hes an electrical engineer, but he is absolutely efficiency oriented. He only ever expresses his ideas and thoughts on a topic in little bite sized pieces that are just the bare minimum required for the overall whole body of work. Hes rather meticulous too.

It's absolutely maddening to me as a Ti-Ne because he will just express the facts and ideas necessary to complete (I drive him away with theory, convos always end in thats nice but wheres the deliverable) the task at hand and is remarkably good at it. I think with what seems like you're S preference you are even more acutely aware of the details necessary and don't bother focusing to much on the theoretical background of why they may be necessary. I think it's perfectly normal and is just a function of the way you process things, I don't think its up to a lack of intellectual curiosity, its a skill that many wish they could have.
    My experience with Te-dominants is that they can't abide redundancy and endeavor to avoid it at all costs, even in conversation. Interesting profile of your dad!

Quote Originally Posted by beyondaurora View Post
    Oh my god. Have you seen the ENTJ videos on YouTube? Shoot me if I'm like that, please.

haha! Seriously! My ENTJ bff Athena is always calling saying "People are idiots! ARG! I can't stand myself! Gaahhh, put me out of my misery!" She has a very powerful personality, very assertive, with little room for nonsense. She'll talk nonsense with me and my twin sister all day, but we're her "people" and that makes it different. Otherwise, she's a real force of nature, almost masculine in her force because of her Te.

Actually, this is an interesting idea, but I'm very most likely an introvert. How about Te as auxilliary?
    Very likely! That would slot you as perhaps an ISTJ or INTJ? You can possibly consider that you're an E by definition, with very retiring "energy".

Quote Originally Posted by beyondaurora View Post

I can't tell you how often, during a conversation with someone, I'm thinking, "For the love of God, get to the $#^%&$* point!". I try to have patience, but even during a conversation I'm constantly sifting out what's relevant (this goes along with this other thread I've got going).
    Athena again. LOL!

This is getting interesting indeed.
    eNFJ 4w3 sx/so 468 tritype
    Neutral Good
    EII-Fi subtype, Ethical/Empath, Delta/Beta
    RLUEI, Choleric/Melancholic
    Inquistive/Limbic
    AIS Holland code
    Researcher: VDI-P
    Dramatic>Sensitive>Serious

MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram

I guess my services are not required here
    [URL]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEBvftJUwDw&t=0s[/URL]

MBTI
    Intp
    Enneagram
    5w6
    Socionics
    ILI

Quote Originally Posted by Quinlan View Post
    I'm like that too, all through Uni getting good grades had more to do with figuring out the formula that the markers wanted and then memorising the core of what was necessary and applying that formula than anything else.

I don't see it as lazy, it's a talent in its own right.
    I agree, what you write does not come as some kind of a confession to me. What you call "laziness" might just as well be called efficiency, no?
    Vanitas vanitatum omnia vanitas

MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    5x/o

I was mostly kidding earlier. Hey, there's nothing wrong with this so-called "intellectual laziness". So you're a fast learner. So you're efficient. Those trouble-shooting skills are what your job calls for. There's nothing "fraud"-y about it.

I mean, everyone ignores stuff they don't find relevant/useful (and most people ignore parts of speech). What we determine useful is often quite different though.

beyondaurora

Quote Originally Posted by mippus View Post
    I agree, what you write does not come as some kind of a confession to me. What you call "laziness" might just as well be called efficiency, no?
    Quote Originally Posted by Colors View Post
    I was mostly kidding earlier. Hey, there's nothing wrong with this so-called "intellectual laziness". So you're a fast learner. So you're efficient. Those trouble-shooting skills are what your job calls for. There's nothing "fraud"-y about it.

I mean, everyone ignores stuff they don't find relevant/useful (and most people ignore parts of speech). What we determine useful is often quite different though.

Thanks. I like the idea of re-framing my so-called deficiency as efficiency.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTj

In school, I memorized only what I needed to know in order to ace the test. I can honestly say that I've probably only retained 10% or less of what I "learned" in college. That's the problem...I didn't really learn much of anything. I memorized.
    It's interesting, because I am exactly the opposite of what is outlined above. I tend to heavily need to understand a system in all its parts to feel like I can apply it to its full power. In this case, I am able to retain everything I learn, however it's something that takes time to develop. A skill I completely lack is the one of doing exclusively what is necessary, without adding anything which is not strictly relevant. In fact, this is the only problem I've had in school: professors telling me that something I was doing/adding to a project/homework was, from their perspective, not relevant.

I can still ace tests by learning only what is required, but I don't find satisfaction in it.
    ENTj 7-3-8 sx/sp

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by FDG View Post
    It's interesting, because I am exactly the opposite of what is outlined above. I tend to heavily need to understand a system in all its parts to feel like I can apply it to its full power. In this case, I am able to retain everything I learn, however it's something that takes time to develop. A skill I completely lack is the one of doing exclusively what is necessary, without adding anything which is not strictly relevant. In fact, this is the only problem I've had in school: professors telling me that something I was doing/adding to a project/homework was, from their perspective, not relevant.

I can still ace tests by learning only what is required, but I don't find satisfaction in it.
    This is I think one of the biggest issues with school. The S v N approach to learning if you will. I think you outlined the mentality and approach that many Ns specifically NTs have to learning in school.

STs may have a similar need for more information but they have a greater skill for only applying it to areas that are more directly involved in the task or subject at hand.
    My cold, snide, intellectual life is just a veneer, behind which lies the plywood of loneliness.

MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Colors View Post

You are really the first one who has got my joke
    [URL]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEBvftJUwDw&t=0s[/URL]

MBTI
    EsTP
    Enneagram
    6w7

Quote Originally Posted by beyondaurora
    In school, I memorized only what I needed to know in order to ace the test. I can honestly say that I've probably only retained 10% or less of what I "learned" in college. That's the problem...I didn't really learn much of anything. I memorized.
    I just wanted to commend you for realizing this.
    Most people never care about learning and only care about results.
    However, you did develop some very useful skills and that's something you can learn from your past experiences.
    MBTI Type: iNTj
    Enneagram Type: 3w4 sp/sx