Permabanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILE

Quote Originally Posted by pippi View Post
    Online the interaction is reading which is low sensory, words are not very visual. It is imagination that makes words come alive. That would not appeal to an S the way it does to an N. I don't have data to back this up but it's my understanding that in general Ns enjoy reading much more than Ss. The 'nose in a book' stereotype of an INxx exists for a reason.
    Just because stimulus is visual doesn't make it any less abstract, depending on how you look at it.

N's could also be more impatient with the prolonged focusing on external objects (in this case, words) for long periods of time that inevitably goes into reading.

veteran attention whore Jeffster's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESFP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by sarah View Post
    Several thoughts..
    It's ridiculous how often people who prefer Sensing (particularly SPs) are strongly attracted to the answers on type tests that are supposed to be linked with having a preference for Intuition.
    True. I just did that "brutally honest personality test" that somebody bumped the thread on, and it's yet another one that uses questions like "Would you rather follow a familiar approach or try something a new way?" to divide S and N. I think probably all or most SPs are gonna answer "try something a new way" but the test gives a point to N for that. I've really come to the conclusion that the temperament tests in general seem to be more accurate than the MBTI offshoots that force the 4 either/or letters, because very few people seem to be able to come up with N/S questions that don't read as N = creative and innovative, S= stick in the mud fuddy duddy with no original ideas.
    Jeffster Illustrates the Artisan Temperament <---- click here

"I like the sigs with quotes in them from other forum members." -- Oberon

The SP Spazz Youtube Channel

Permabanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILE

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffster View Post
    True. I just did that "brutally honest personality test" that somebody bumped the thread on, and it's yet another one that uses questions like "Would you rather follow a familiar approach or try something a new way?" to divide S and N. I think probably all or most SPs are gonna answer "try something a new way" but the test gives a point to N for that. I've really come to the conclusion that the temperament tests in general seem to be more accurate than the MBTI offshoots that force the 4 either/or letters, because very few people seem to be able to come up with N/S questions that don't read as N = creative and innovative, S= stick in the mud fuddy duddy with no original ideas.
    Keirsey's test equates trying things a different way and being open to new approaches to P.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    9w1

the internet and forums are wonderful things for introverts, especially introverted intuitives, because it allows them to gain skill in socializing in a way that they are comfortable with. at least the extreme introverts. that is why i think we tend to see more introverted intuitives than anyone else on the web.
    "Honest differences are often a healthy sign of progress. "

"You must not lose faith in humanity. Humanity is an ocean; if a few drops of the ocean are dirty, the ocean does not become dirty."

"An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind."

Mahatma Gandhi

Enneagram: 9w1

MBTI
    isfp

Quote Originally Posted by Uberfuhrer View Post
    Keirsey's test equates trying things a different way and being open to new approaches to P.

Actually, no. He equates "novel" with intuition, and "tried and true" with sensing on the test in the front of the book. It's really a frustrating test, because basically you aren't going to find ANY SPs thinking they need to stick to tried and true ways of doing things. SPs don't care whether what they're doing is the traditional way or their own way -- being utilitarian and practical, we go for whatever way we think is going to get the job done most impressively.

About the only quick and easy test I think is helpful is the Keirsey Temperament Sorter (in the BACK of Please Understand Me II.) Or the test here, which is even better:

Careerstrength(TM) Step 1

Sarah

Permabanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILE

Quote Originally Posted by sarah View Post
    Actually, no. He equates that with intuition. It's really frustrating, because basically you aren't going to find ANY SPs thinking they need to stick to tradiational ways of doing things. SPs don't care whether what they're doing is the "normal" way or their own way -- being utilitarian and practical, we go for whatever way we think is going to get the job done quickly and impressively.
    I think the dichotomy of the particular question on the test contrasted "probing for possibilities" against "nailing things down." He considered it P versus J. I know this because I'm holding Please Understand Me II in my hands.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    9w1

Quote Originally Posted by Uberfuhrer View Post
    I think the dichotomy of the particular question on the test contrasted "probing for possibilities" against "nailing things down." He considered it P versus J. I know this because I'm holding Please Understand Me II in my hands.
    finally, someone else that actually reads and comprehends Please Understand Me II

"You must not lose faith in humanity. Humanity is an ocean; if a few drops of the ocean are dirty, the ocean does not become dirty."

Mahatma Gandhi

Arcesso pulli gingerios! Eldanen's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    ENTp

Actually, J. R. R. Tolkien, whom I regard as either an ESTj or ISTp (socionics), loved languages apparently. That seems to be something all delta STs care a lot about. So perhaps it's what Uberfuhrer is saying: that Ns can't stand a lot of word-watching at once.

The reason Ns might enjoy the Internet more than Sensors could be that it's just more abstract.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    9w1

though off topic and i am unbiased, many regard tolkien as an INFP

Mahatma Gandhi

Arcesso pulli gingerios! Eldanen's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    ENTp

Quote Originally Posted by mlittrell View Post
    though off topic and i am unbiased, many regard tolkien as an INFP
    He was much too wordy and descriptive of external elements to be an INFP, I think. INFXes like to boil things down in my opinion. Two examples are Terry Brooks and J. K. Rowling. The former is INFp, the latter INFj.