• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Meta MBTI thread: Things to Consider

Xander

Lex Parsimoniae
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w8
first off, i think the tertiary is under conscious control, but to engage it is somewhat draining. i know i personally have access to it. in regards to the tests, no the whole thing isn't thrown out the window at all. you just need to use the right tests and your average MBTI test isn't the "right" test. also i test people based purely on observation but sometimes will back it up by using tests. the tests can probably be done even better by first finding out whether they are intuitive or sensing and then eventually narrowing it down to type. for example if someone is an ENTP: N/S -> NF/NT -> NTP/NTJ -> E/I. so basically you give them a couple questions that determine whether they are an intuitive or sensor. this splits off half of the types. then it figures out temperament. for testing this they could have questions and/or show them the temperament profiles. then once the temperament is figured out, it basically figures out what the J/P is in a functional sense, once again this could be questions and/or profiles. then the E/I which shouldnt be hard. once this is done they can read their profile and agree or disagree. my "logic" (which isn't that much) is that they will easily be able to differentiate what they are during each part of the test. they will know quite easily if they are an intuitive or sensor. they will quite easily know if they are an NT or NF. they will quite easily know if they are an NTP or NTJ. and extrovert and introvert is just whatever. the test, unfortunatelly would have to be quite dynamic, and might not be easy to administer on paper, in which case a computer would be nice.

EDIT:

if people like this testing idea ill do it and compile a basic MBTI test using C++.
What about the checking procedure where they basically ask the same question again later on to try and verify that you are answering honestly. I think it has something to do with your opinion may change as you progress through the testing procedure and it's a deliberate lead. If you start limiting the person's type too early then how would you incorporate such a checking feature or do you think it's a bit of a waste of time?

Salomé

meh
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
the tests can probably be done even better by first finding out whether they are intuitive or sensing and then eventually narrowing it down to type. for example if someone is an ENTP: N/S -> NF/NT -> NTP/NTJ -> E/I. so basically you give them a couple questions that determine whether they are an intuitive or sensor. this splits off half of the types. then it figures out temperament. for testing this they could have questions and/or show them the temperament profiles. then once the temperament is figured out, it basically figures out what the J/P is in a functional sense, once again this could be questions and/or profiles. then the E/I which shouldnt be hard. once this is done they can read their profile and agree or disagree. my "logic" (which isn't that much) is that they will easily be able to differentiate what they are during each part of the test. they will know quite easily if they are an intuitive or sensor. they will quite easily know if they are an NT or NF. they will quite easily know if they are an NTP or NTJ. and extrovert and introvert is just whatever. the test, unfortunatelly would have to be quite dynamic, and might not be easy to administer on paper, in which case a computer would be nice.

EDIT:

if people like this testing idea ill do it and compile a basic MBTI test using C++.

Kinda like a workflow / flowchart?
I like it! Do I count as "people"?
Do it! Let me know if I can help.

INTJMom

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Ooo bad mojo... What's the counterpart of mysogyny? Dictionary anyone??

Misandry... thank you wikipedia :)

Anyhow.. mother's idealise their sons and partners tend to interpret their counterparts in terms of their use rather than their natural state. Although no technique in singular is 100% .. my natural argumentative nature raises it's heckling in the direction of your clutch plan !!

:newwink:
blah, blah, blah :newwink:

I've got concerns about the comparison approach. It's been my primary route into the MBTI but I'm not too sure about whether it's as straddled with problems as every other route. After all the chances of compound error are much greater than typing by the numbers for example.

See what I mean?

:devil:
Obviously, I do it correctly. :devil:

INTJMom

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
You might have better luck comparing function interactions than going along with types.

It makes me think of two different instruments playing the same note. Say a piano and a trombone. You can tell they're the same note because they share the fundamental frequency. Yet the piano sounds nothing like the trombone because the harmonics are all different. In other words, both of you are using Ti as your dominant function, but you're combining it with different kind of functions and drawing from different experiences. I sense a fair bit of Ni and to some extent Fi from wildcat, where as your writing has more Ne exploratory undertones. ;)
From what I was just reading about Dynamic Type, I think this explains exactly what they mean by "Dynamic Type".

INTJMom

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Err... aren't the tertiary and inferior the shadow functions? I'm confused. INTP is Ti Ne Si Fe. Fe Si is ESFJ is it not?
According to Quenk, the shadow function is the eruption of the inferior.

INTJMom

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
I've become interested in reversing the traditional model for typing people and typing them by inferior function.
Eg. The INTP would be Fe/Si deficient.

The rationale being

a) behaviour derived from subconscious drivers cannot of necessity be faked, so one removes self-deception from the equation.

b) perceived utility in a clinical/diagnostic/self-improvement context

Thoughts?
I use this method also, in conjunction with other methods.
I agree that what a person lacks is just as helpful in assessing their type.

Case in point - myself!
I finally figured out my type by comparing the negative aspects rather than by comparing the positive aspects.
I.e. I determined I was the type whose negative traits I had the most of. :smile:

That method works for me because I tend to see faults easier the positive traits.

Xander

Lex Parsimoniae
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w8
According to Quenk, the shadow function is the eruption of the inferior.
That's what I thought!

Who's been trying to confuse me?? Why I oughta... :steam:

Case in point - myself!
I finally figured out my type by comparing the negative aspects rather than by comparing the positive aspects.
I.e. I determined I was the type whose negative traits I had the most of. :smile:

That method works for me because I tend to see faults easier the positive traits.
I'm beginning to think that this is an approach more comfortable to Ts. Perhaps Fs find it better to type by observed strengths?

There again maybe it's just us INTPs?

INTJMom

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
That's what I thought!

Who's been trying to confuse me?? Why I oughta... :steam:

I'm beginning to think that this is an approach more comfortable to Ts. Perhaps Fs find it better to type by observed strengths?

There again maybe it's just us INTPs?

A hah, a hah. Very funny. /sarcasm

Salomé

meh
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

Has it been developed/formalized anywhere do you know? I haven't read about it outside of Jung.

Xander

Lex Parsimoniae
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w8
Don't make me come over there! :devil:
Yeah you might learn too much about how to make tea properly and instant coffee and stuff. Don't want to mess with your cultural growth.

:tongue10:

Btw, do you use functions to type or dichotomies?

INTJMom

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Has it been developed/formalized anywhere do you know? I haven't read about it outside of Jung.
No, Luv, I don't know.
I just adopted it because that's what comes naturally to me.
Every now and then, a person will be quite negative toward themselves
and I have to use that method with them.
Also, some people are too modest to acknowledge their positive traits.
ISFJs are notorious for this.

INTJMom

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Yeah you might learn too much about how to make tea properly and instant coffee and stuff. Don't want to mess with your cultural growth.

:tongue10:

Btw, do you use functions to type or dichotomies?
I use the dichotomies because I had never heard of the functions until I came here a year ago and I don't understand them well enough to use them as a tool.

Xander

Lex Parsimoniae
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w8
No, Luv, I don't know.
I just adopted it because that's what comes naturally to me.
Every now and then, a person will be quite negative toward themselves
and I have to use that method with them.
Also, some people are too modest to acknowledge their positive traits.
ISFJs are notorious for this.
Oh that's one type I almost never type by positives. The negatives are usually quite pronounced.
I use the dichotomies because I had never heard of the functions until I came here a year ago and I don't understand them well enough to use them as a tool.
Well after having read up on them numerous times I'm still of the opinion that there's not enough clarity between two functions of the same side of a dichotomy (like Ti and Te) to be of real use.

nightning

ish red no longer *sad*
MBTI Type
INfj
Funny I look at the lack of a specific function rather than dichotomy. For strengths I type using dichotomies. :huh:

About the difference between the introverted and extroverted side of the function, the distinction between some of them like Ni, Ne is fuzzy in my mind because I often use both. I think Ni comes more readily to me than Ne.

Ni I just ask myself the question "What is.." What is the truth, what is the link, what does it mean? Using Ne is sort of backwards in a way. Mine tend towards visual input. If I unfocus my attention, then ideas come to me. You can say I direct its use by not pointing it in a specific direction.

Xander

Lex Parsimoniae
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w8
Funny I look at the lack of a specific function rather than dichotomy. For strengths I type using dichotomies. :huh:

About the difference between the introverted and extroverted side of the function, the distinction between some of them like Ni, Ne is fuzzy in my mind because I often use both. I think Ni comes more readily to me than Ne.

Ni I just ask myself the question "What is.." What is the truth, what is the link, what does it mean? Using Ne is sort of backwards in a way. Mine tend towards visual input. If I unfocus my attention, then ideas come to me. You can say I direct its use by not pointing it in a specific direction.

Surely though if it's Yx then x is just the arena in which it is applied is it not?

nightning

ish red no longer *sad*
MBTI Type
INfj
Surely though if it's Yx then x is just the arena in which it is applied is it not?

You would think so... Ti is logic applied inside to understand and Te is logic applied outside to problem solve. Just like Fi is self values and Fe is shared social values. But that's just what they are on the surface. Ti is not the same as Te. INTP will examine an idea in depth for understanding, the Te dominant ENTJ ought to explore all external options to understand each one. They do that, but only to the degree necessary to making a decision. They're not equal mirrors. Or is that J/P getting in the way? But then again what is J/P? The link between Yx and J/P is inherent but their relationship isn't obvious.