• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

INxJ or Ni users: do you create fantasy melodrama?

Usehername

On a mission
So I have this little bit of a problem with my daydreaming. I'll illustrate it with the latest example, but it's really just representative of things that happen all the time in my head. (I'm wondering if it's just because I need to engage my Ni and life these past few weeks has been uneventful.)

I moved back in with my parents this fall; my dad wants to try to go to Cuba as a last family vacation during Christmas break (my sister will be home from another university for Christmas, it's unlikely I'll be living with them next year...). The last family vacation we went away for a few years ago involved SCUBA Diving.
My Ni takes this information (the potential of going away for Christmas break) and clearly decides that I'm going to go diving, enjoying myself on a coral reef, and an 8 foot bull shark will prey after me, because I'm always the smallest diver in the group. Then when the shark tastes me and drags me for a second like a rag doll (engulfing my tank so that I only get bit across my stomach and legs), blood leaking everywhere in the salty water, he realizes I'm not tasty food, and is scared away by the hissing air tank because he punctured it.
At this point, I am bloody and he cracked a few of my ribs as well, and I can't shoot up to the surface because I'm far enough below that I'd "get bent" (the different pressure underwater changes the size of the air molecules in your circulatory system, so you have to go up very slowly and equalize or else face potentially lethal consequences).

So I had like a day of envisioning exactly how it would feel to encounter the shark, and envisioning exactly the stress involved with hearing him puncture my tank; then I envision how to react to the multitude of ways my dad and brother and fellow divers would react to the situation and figure out how to get their "octopus" (secondary breathing mouthpiece in case a fellow diver experiences problems with their breathing apparatus and you suck the same tank through different tubes). All the while, I'm training my brain to constantly blow the air that remains in my lungs out. (As soon as you stop moving air when diving, you're in huge trouble.)

I constantly do stuff like this. Most of the time it's just interpersonal interactions, but when my real life gets a little boring, this is what I'm doing in my head.

Please tell me other Ni users do this too.

Usehername

On a mission
Get some help.

See, I can turn it off if I want to, but it's just like watching a movie for me, but more fun. It's boredom-induced. Actually, "I'm supposed to be studying" induced or "long car ride and need to pass time" induced.

Haphazard

Don't Judge Me!
MBTI Type
ENFJ
Uh no.

I never got into stuff like this. I channel anything that could perhaps do this into writing.

Haight

Doesn't Read Your Posts
MBTI Type
INTj
See, I can turn it off if I want to, but it's just like watching a movie for me, but more fun. It's boredom-induced.
Well to be honest, I do the same thing. However, I don't think it's boredom induced.

I often think that if I could write well, I'd be giving Stephen King and Koontz a run for their money.

Atomic Fiend

No, don't worry it's cool, I had a daydream about murdering a close relative of mine, for no reason other then I knew how to do it. I then placed his body in a trash bag, when his mother came over. It was too close, I told her he was away and wouldn't come back for awhile. She always ask so many questions. Usually for no reason, but what reason would I have to do something bad anyways? What reason indeed I thought to myself as I stuffed the still fresh body into the back of his own truck, and drive off onto state road 441. I'd wait till traffic died in the morning and come out of the truck at 3something in the morning, with a flashlight, shovel, and nausea, guilt induced no doubt. I dig exactly 6 feet so no stray animal digs up the body, or something stupid like that. I use his credit card to fund my exit from the country before the inevitable, they will find out.

Stuff like that.

Usehername

On a mission
Well to be honest, I do the same thing. However, I don't think it's boredom induced.

I often think that if I could write well, I'd be giving Stephen King and Koontz a run for their money.

:hug: You made me think I was messed up for a moment. :yes:

pippi

MBTI Type
xxxx
It's called imagination. Yes, I do that too, without the blood. I sometimes have vivid daydreams when I'm the passenger in a car on a long trip or waiting around for someone, I just let my mind drift off and it takes me on a trip or adventure. Mostly, I just have conversations with people in my head.

Jack Flak

Permabanned
MBTI Type
type
Since I don't believe in Ni, and I'm an intuition user, "Yeah." But I separate these things from reality, and don't get riled up and scared.

S

Sniffles

How can you not believe in Ni? By that extension I don't believe in Ne.

Dwigie

MBTI Type
INFP
I do that too. Learning to control it, it always happens. I have plenty of scenarios like that. I analyze my daydreams and dreams and saw that there was a pattern.
I was constantly in a struggle and close relatives were involved.
Ages 6-12:
fantasized about murdering my sister. Daydreamed a lot about hurting people who hurt me and basically carnaged my surroundings?Ahem..."saving the world?".:blush:I was a dork I know.
ages 14-17:
Death again, but often mine this time. Death of my loved ones and me being unable to protect them. Both dreams and daydreams. Sacrifice for a cause?Again,more massacres and me unable to help out. A lot of guns and violence for some odd reason, before the deaths were sudden and more gruesome, they softened up.
Yep, there's plenty of it in my mind and yes writing helps.:)

Uytuun

MBTI Type
nnnn
The real question revolves around the category of messed up. What is real?

INTJMom

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
So I have this little bit of a problem with my daydreaming. I'll illustrate it with the latest example, but it's really just representative of things that happen all the time in my head. (I'm wondering if it's just because I need to engage my Ni and life these past few weeks has been uneventful.)

I moved back in with my parents this fall; my dad wants to try to go to Cuba as a last family vacation during Christmas break (my sister will be home from another university for Christmas, it's unlikely I'll be living with them next year...). The last family vacation we went away for a few years ago involved SCUBA Diving.
My Ni takes this information (the potential of going away for Christmas break) and clearly decides that I'm going to go diving, enjoying myself on a coral reef, and an 8 foot bull shark will prey after me, because I'm always the smallest diver in the group. Then when the shark tastes me and drags me for a second like a rag doll (engulfing my tank so that I only get bit across my stomach and legs), blood leaking everywhere in the salty water, he realizes I'm not tasty food, and is scared away by the hissing air tank because he punctured it.
At this point, I am bloody and he cracked a few of my ribs as well, and I can't shoot up to the surface because I'm far enough below that I'd "get bent" (the different pressure underwater changes the size of the air molecules in your circulatory system, so you have to go up very slowly and equalize or else face potentially lethal consequences).

So I had like a day of envisioning exactly how it would feel to encounter the shark, and envisioning exactly the stress involved with hearing him puncture my tank; then I envision how to react to the multitude of ways my dad and brother and fellow divers would react to the situation and figure out how to get their "octopus" (secondary breathing mouthpiece in case a fellow diver experiences problems with their breathing apparatus and you suck the same tank through different tubes). All the while, I'm training my brain to constantly blow the air that remains in my lungs out. (As soon as you stop moving air when diving, you're in huge trouble.)

I constantly do stuff like this. Most of the time it's just interpersonal interactions, but when my real life gets a little boring, this is what I'm doing in my head.

That's not normal?! :huh:
Did you make a contingency plan for what to do when the shark attacks you?
Were you stalked by a shark the last time you went SCUBA diving?

redacted

I think about things like this all the time. And I try to picture the exact facial expressions, screams, sensations, rushing thoughts. When I engage my imagination like that, I often get a physical reaction.

(I often do this with serious injury or death :))

I also do this when I'm imagining telling someone something that would surprise them -- I try to paint the details of their reaction in my mind, including what it would feel like to be them.

Ism

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w1
I'm pretty sure that's just called having an active imagination.

A useful one, too, just in case it does happen and you've already outlined all of the potential consequences.