• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Jack Flak's Function System Adventure

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
yeah, blame it on the weatherman, assholes :D

locke

MBTI Type
INFJ
Consider the perceiving functions as functions that recognize and determine which data are important from the information we perceive. They are still processing functions. Sensing is objective. Intuition is relative.

The judging functions are how we organize and understand the data our perceiving functions have recognized as important. Thinking is objective. Feeling is relative.

The functions can be used in an extroverted or introverted manner, but each person has an extroverted or introverted preference for each function. The differences between the extroverted and introverted functions is not in how they operate, but in how they are limited by context.

I disagree with Jack because I don't feel I can use my N and F equally well in both contexts. It's not much to go on, but there you have it.

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
go be cool not needing a wheel chair anymore Locke, but leave the adults alone on this one will you :D

(Oh gosh now I am going to hell, I adapted american slang :D)

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
-.-

some days are better than other days

speculative

Feelin' FiNe
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
INFP:

Introverted.
Primary function: Intuition
Support function: Feeling

Interesting. I still come out as INFP under this system. I spend most of my time alone, intuiting, and trying to experience various moods...

Jack Flak

Permabanned
MBTI Type
type
Instantaneously?

How is intuition instantaneous? You're saying ideas/hunches are generated instantaneously?
Basically, noticing things is Intuition, while generating a hunch is usually Thinking. They work together, always.

Nocapszy

no clinkz 'til brooklyn
MBTI Type
ENTP
Jackie, this system has gone from reparable to ruined.

Nocapszy

no clinkz 'til brooklyn
MBTI Type
ENTP
Of course it's working for you.
You're a compulsive liar.

redacted

Basically, noticing things is Intuition, while generating a hunch is usually Thinking. They work together, always.

LOL.. What does "noticing" mean? (Sorry, I study cognitive science...and you aren't gonna win this one)

And why should "generating" anything be attributed to thinking? Thinking just labels things with "true" or "false".

Yes, intuition and thinking always work together. All four functions always work together. I don't see how that's relevant.

Nocapszy

no clinkz 'til brooklyn
MBTI Type
ENTP
And why should "generating" anything be attributed to thinking? Thinking just labels things with "true" or "false".
Well sort of...
True and False comes from deciding, by logic, what to believe.

Yes, intuition and thinking always work together. All four functions always work together.
Can. Not do.
I don't see how that's relevant.

His whole system is out of whack. It could have been repaired before he started this flippancy about Thinking doing... well, basically doing the job of a Perceiving function.

redacted

Well sort of...
True and False comes from deciding, by logic, what to believe.

All I mean is that the only new stuff T generates is "true" or "false". Definitely not hunches.

Can. Not do.

They DO work together. Whether or not they work well together is a different question.

His whole system is out of whack. It could have been repaired before he started this flippancy about Thinking doing... well, basically doing the job of a Perceiving function.

Heh yeah. Maybe he should use different words. Thinking Feeling Sensing and Intuition already have definitions...

Magic Poriferan

^He pronks, too!
MBTI Type
Yin
Enneagram
One
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Dis said:
The first quote
Okay. And you're right.

They DO work together. Whether or not they work well together is a different question.
No seriously... they don't.

What makes you think so?

That thing about F motivating T?
T helping plan a surprise party because F wants it to happen?

That one doesn't fly -- Not as an absolute.
Both of those examples might take place, but they don't have to.

T makes a decision to do something, T will make sure it gets done. It doesn't need to be lifted up. It's a decision.
You can have made a decision by T and still go through with it even if your Feeling tells you not to, or even if you'd never really known how the Feel about it.

I know, 'cause I've done it.
It's usually called being stubborn, but that's a bunch of shit.

That is definitively incorrect.

All motive to do something is based on some underlying concept of a desire for something good over something bad. In this case, good and bad can be meant in a very visceral sense, as well as a lofty moral sense. These feelings of good and bad, and these desires and aversions, are aspects of Feeling. Like how Jung said that Thinking determines what something is, Feelings determines whether or not it is agreable.

Now, since anything we do is motivated by these Feeling related aspect, then every person's actions actually involve a collaboration of Thinking and Feeling. When he is describing what some call stubborness, Nocapszy is incorrectly labeling a clash of two seperate Feeling values as a clash between Thinking and Feeling.

The Poriferan doesn't know enough about typology to know whether what he's saying is true or even plausible.

Thinking is not married to, nor is it the opposition of Feeling. Thinking is not simply a true or false metric.
Ask Jennifer. She knows this shit better than you or I.
Especially The Poriferan.
Or better yet -- read a damned book.
My recommendation is Lenore Thompson.

My energy will not be further wasted on The Poriferan's posts concerning the subject of typology.

The Poriferan doesn't know enough about typology to know whether what he's saying is true or even plausible.

Thinking is not married to, nor is it the opposition of Feeling. Thinking is not simply a true or false metric.
Especially you.

Some defining and validating of terms is what this requires.

My energy will not be further wasted on The Poriferan's posts concerning the subject of typology.

If he lives up to this claim, I can finally correct his bullshit without him getting in the way.

Have a breathmint... ugh...

Last edited by a moderator:

redacted

Especially The Poriferan.
Or better yet -- read a damned book.
My recommendation is Lenore Thompson.

I think of Thinking and Feeling as parsing the information from perception. Feeling does the first sweep and Thinking goes from there.

Simplexity

MBTI Type
INTP
I think this discussions scope is far greater than that of MBTT and requires a lot more information and context than we can necessarily cover and come to a realistic conclusion on.

I think the terms (and the extension in terms of applicability and interaction) as presently stated are too vague and need to be more rigorously defined based on just what it is we are trying to prove.

Magic Poriferan

^He pronks, too!
MBTI Type
Yin
Enneagram
One
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I think of Thinking and Feeling as parsing the information from perception. Feeling does the first sweep and Thinking goes from there.

Hmm. Interesting. I don't think I can fish up my source at the moment, but I do believe that Jung described an order to these thing as well, but he said Thinking went before Feeling.