• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Jack Flak's Function System Adventure

Jack Flak

Permabanned
MBTI Type
type
Yet another way to describe the sixteen types, and one with far less conjecture than MBTI function theory. Influenced by Jung, MBTI, Socionics, and others, but tied to no system I'm aware of. All differences are intentional, not errors. I do believe this to be more accurate than the above systems, but if nothing else, this may illustrate that they aren't set in stone.

If you are familiar with MBTI functions, please consider the extraverted and introverted components of a function to be combined into one function, for the purposes of this theory. For example, Ni and Ne are combined into Intuition, which is both, and neither, but closer in definition to Ne.

Introversion and Extroversion are considered to define the types separately from their Primary and Support functions. The Primary function typically occupies the concentration of individuals. The Support function is the most dominant function of either Perceiving or Judging nature, the opposite of the Primary function. All individuals use all four functions, but use of the two "reserve" functions is not specifically defined in this system. The sum of the characteristics defines the type for the purposes of this theory.

INTP:

Introverted.
Primary function: Intuition
Support function: Thinking

ENTP:

Extroverted.

INTJ:

Introverted.
Primary function: Thinking
Support function: Intuition

ENTJ:

Extroverted.

INFP:

Introverted.
Support function: Feeling

ENFP:

Extroverted.

INFJ:

Introverted.
Primary function: Feeling

ENFJ:

Extroverted.

ISTP:

Introverted.
Primary function: Sensing

ESTP:

Extroverted.

ISFP:

Introverted.

ESFP:

Extroverted.

ISTJ:

Introverted.
Support function: Sensing

ESTJ:

Extroverted.

ISFJ:

Introverted.

ESFJ:

Extroverted.

Glossary:

Perceiving function: A function used to gain information. Intuition and Sensing are perceiving functions.
Judging function: A function used to assign value. Thinking and Feeling are judging functions.
Intuition: Acquisition of information other than what can be directly sensed with the five senses. Synonymous with Perception in other contexts.
Sensing: Acquisition of unmodified information gathered with the five senses.
Thinking: Logical processing of information.
Feeling: Emotional processing of information.

The following post is essential. Thank you, Orangey.

Okay, I am going to attempt to explain why I think that Jack's theory here is convincing. This is my interpretation of what he's written. But first, one thing need to be clarified in order to proceed.

The function order beyond a primary and support is not important, since even with regular MBTI it's so speculative that it's almost useless.

Let us proceed, then...

Part I: MBTI

In MBTI, judging and perceiving, or the J and the P, indicates which function, T - F - N - S, we direct towards the outside world, or extrovert. Some people direct their perceiving functions (N/S) to the outside, and others direct their judging functions (T/F) to the outside. Keep in mind that the italicized use of the words perceiving and judging are not the same as the perceiving and judging that J and P denote.

This is the basis for the descriptions of J's and P's, because a person with a preference for J will direct their judging function outward, making decision-making an important priority for them, and a person with a P preference will direct their perceiving functions outward, making the gathering of information an important priority for them.

Alright, so far so good. That seems to make sense intuitively. But then along comes introversion and extroversion, which for some reason must correspond to the direction of the primary function. So if you are an introvert, your primary function must be introverted. This overrides the J and P such that whichever of the preferred functions corresponds to introversion or extroversion gets to be the primary function. So even if your preferred way of interacting with the world, or extroverting, is through judgment (T/F), because you are a J, your orientation towards introversion or extroversion, in the E or I sense, demands that the function corresponding to that direction become the primary function. Case in point: if you know someone is a J because they are good at making decisions and are natural organizers, that they are a T, and that they are introverted (by the descriptions, energized by being alone, etc...), then the introversion demands that intuition, or the introverted perceiving function, and not thinking, be the primary function. Thus, the extroverted, thinking, judger will retain the judging function as the primary function, but the introverted, thinker, judger will not. (Doesn't this seem rather arbitrary, given that the only observable difference between the two is that one is quiet and the other is probably not? Why does that constitute a shift in the primary function?).

Now, even if we keep the function directions, it seems to me that there is no good reason why the I/E should be more important than the J/P. In other words, the reason why the primary function (in terms of direction) needs to correspond to the introversion or extroversion of an individual seems rather arbitrary. And in fact, the type descriptions tend to emphasize the difference more in terms of J/P than I/E, especially for types who share the I or the E but have different J or P.

Part II: Jack's System

In Jack's system, both of these complications are elided because the distinction between outward oriented and inward oriented functions is collapsed. The only factor that is of importance is the J/P distinction because it determines the primary function (if someone is a J, they use their judgment function more, and if someone is a P, they use their perceiving function more).

I and E can be seen as separate functions (or if you don't want to call them functions, then orientations). So someone is introverted, not because they use their dominant function in an introverted way, but because they exhibit behaviors attributed to introverts...namely, they are in general quiet, like to have alone time, get energized by solitude, and so on. Similar ways are used to determine extroversion, only in this case using exuberance, social effusiveness, and gregariousness as determinants.

This leaves the direction of the functions used to be determined by the situation, and by overall preference for introversion or extroversion. This clears up problems that come up with, say, I's using many of the functions in an introverted way (with me, this is Ti, Fi, Ni, even though Fi and Ni are supposed to be way down there in use). It also skips over a lot of the ambiguity involved in determining what use of the function is introverted, and which is extroverted (and don't tell me this is something easy...it may be in the function descriptions, but in practice it is rarely clear).

And, like I've said 'til I'm blue in the face, it corresponds more closely to the type descriptions, because judging and perceiving play a more observable role in the way functions are used than introversion or extroversion.

I hope this helps, and everyone is welcome to pick apart this analysis.

And here is a brief post of mine regarding the practical analysis applications: http://www.typologycentral.com/foru...s-function-system-adventure-4.html#post394252

Last edited:

Bella

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Oh. I thought mine was the other way around...

disregard

mrs
MBTI Type
INFP
They are the other way around according to MBTT, but Jack made his own system.

wildcat

MBTI Type
INTP
Yet another way to describe the sixteen types, and one with far less conjecture than MBTI function theory. Influenced by Jung, MBTI, Socionics, and others, but tied to no system I'm aware of. All differences are intentional, not errors. I do believe this to be more accurate than the above systems, but if nothing else, this may illustrate that they aren't set in stone.

If you are familiar with MBTI functions, please consider the extraverted and introverted components of a function to be combined into one function, for the purposes of this theory. For example, Ni and Ne are combined into Intuition.

Introversion and Extroversion are considered to define the types separately from their Primary and Support functions. The Primary function typically occupies the concentration of individuals. The Support function is the most dominant function of either Perceiving or Judging nature, the opposite of the Primary function. The remaining two are considered relatively unimportant, and their use is not specifically defined. The sum of the characteristics defines the type for the purposes of this theory.

INTP:

Introverted.

ENTP:

Extroverted.

INTJ:

Introverted.

ENTJ:

Extroverted.

INFP:

Introverted.

ENFP:

Extroverted.
Prmary function: Intuition

INFJ:

Introverted.

ENFJ:

Extroverted.

ISTP:

Introverted.

ESTP:

Extroverted.

ISFP:

Introverted.

ESFP:

Extroverted.

ISTJ:

Introverted.

ESTJ:

Extroverted.

ISFJ:

Introverted.

ESFJ:

Extroverted.
Exactly.

Valiant

Courage is immortality
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I like this. In fact, I like it a lot. You explained yourself pretty good, but please elaborate.
You make my brain horny. :D

Bella

MBTI Type
ISTJ
^ It's like pulling chicken teeth, I tell you.

Bella

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Did Meyers-Briggs actually get it all wrong?

Colors

The Destroyer
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
So, Socionics. Minus facial recognition.

Jeffster

veteran attention whore
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx
ISFP:

Introverted.

I kinda think neither is primary or support, they seem to act in tandem more like. Sensofeeling or Feelosensing. But it's just living to me, so it's hard to me to functionalize it. Before I've kinda described it as Feeling acts as a filter on sensing, at least the value part of feeling.

Yeah, I'm just babbling.

Salomé

meh
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I don't like it. It's too simple.

How does your system account for an Introvert's capacity for extroversion and vice versa?

Jack Flak

Permabanned
MBTI Type
type
I don't like it. It's too simple.

How does your system account for an Introvert's capacity for extroversion and vice versa?
Well, to argue that I could say that all Introverts and Extroverts (Who are otherwise similar) in the system have identical Primary and Support functions.

It's simple because it's supposed to be simple. That which isn't accounted for, well, to try to pin it down requires the conjecture I dislike.

I kinda think neither is primary or support, they seem to act in tandem more like. Sensofeeling or Feelosensing. But it's just living to me, so it's hard to me to functionalize it. Before I've kinda described it as Feeling acts as a filter on sensing, at least the value part of feeling.

Yeah, I'm just babbling.
You've basically nailed it, but you don't know it. *gold star*

So, Socionics. Minus facial recognition.
In a word: No.

I like this. In fact, I like it a lot. You explained yourself pretty good, but please elaborate.
You make my brain horny.
I would prefer answering specific questions, if you have any. Saves the effort and grief of Thinking, while I would prefer to perceive with Intuition.

;)

Haphazard

Don't Judge Me!
MBTI Type
ENFJ
Why is it different from how Socionics views ordering, then?

edcoaching

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
So you're switching so the last letter always points to the dominant?

I actually have given a lot of thought to whether Ne and Ni, for example, are really different functions or if I'm just used to using my Intuition in my internal world and have to give myself a kick-start to interact with others. It isn't Ne that's difficult but E. Danged people keep talking and interrupting my stream of thought...

Jack Flak

Permabanned
MBTI Type
type
Why is it different from how Socionics views ordering, then?
Socionics doesn't combine the functions as I do. This is enough to make it "Not Socionics."
So you're switching so the last letter always points to the dominant?
Yes, and it makes sense to me. Perceivers spend more time Perceiving than Judging, do they not?

I actually have given a lot of thought to whether Ne and Ni, for example, are really different functions or if I'm just used to using my Intuition in my internal world and have to give myself a kick-start to interact with others. It isn't Ne that's difficult but E. Danged people keep talking and interrupting my stream of thought...
I understand. I don't believe they are separate functions.

Haphazard

Don't Judge Me!
MBTI Type
ENFJ
Socionics doesn't combine the functions as I do. This is enough to make it "Not Socionics."

Actually Socionics defines the functions a bit differently than MBTI... but this still sorts in somewhat the same way.

So I'd say that this is in fact the bastard child of Socionics and MBTI. What about you?

Jack Flak

Permabanned
MBTI Type
type
Actually Socionics defines the functions a bit differently than MBTI... but this still sorts in somewhat the same way.

So I'd say that this is in fact the bastard child of Socionics and MBTI. What about you?
It is, and some things are simplified or removed for the sake of "not getting ahead of ourselves."

Nocapszy

no clinkz 'til brooklyn
MBTI Type
ENTP
Well I warn you, Bluewing is going to make some noise in this thread. He loves the introversion extraversion spectrum.
If you are familiar with MBTI functions, please consider the extraverted and introverted components of a function to be combined into one function, for the purposes of this theory. For example, Ni and Ne are combined into Intuition.
The most relevant mechanism is accounted for.
Its attitude matters far less, but as long as you're going to still mention introversion and extraversion, it may as well be used in direct pertinence to the functions.

Jack Flak

Permabanned
MBTI Type
type
Well I warn you, Bluewing is going to make some noise in this thread. He loves the introversion extraversion spectrum.
The most relevant mechanism is accounted for.
BlueWing's religious devotion to MBTI function theory was the impetus for defining my assessment of the theory in this thread. I would not be surprised.
Its attitude matters far less, but as long as you're going to still mention introversion and extraversion, it may as well be used in direct pertinence to the functions.
There is, of course, a very significant effect on the psyche from being Introverted or Extroverted, but I don't believe it's tied specifically to function direction. Not by definition. Introverts contemplate solo more often. That's what makes them introverted, and that's why I didn't remove E/I from the system, and even accentuated it.