User Tag List

First 12

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    1w9

A general principle, which was seen at work in my commission's meeting earlier this evening, is that use of Feeling will lead one to judge rules and standards according to circumstance and value; Thinking, in terms of consistency and coherence.

MBTI
    TiSe

MBTI does not measure emotion at all, so implying that feeling types have better development than thinking types is a myth and just plain inaccurate. Feeling types may benefit from showing their emotions in a more acceptable way in public and dealing with social niceties, however, these are not based on emotions just social values. The comparison is an apple/orange.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILE

"?" (you mind if I call you The Riddler? :P ), I do agree with you on that. However, Feelers make judgments based on emotion and personal values.

Still, either Thinkers or Feelers can be perceived as cold-hearted. With Thinking, it is more obvious with emotional (not Feeling) types. However, Feelers can be cold-hearted, manipulative backstabbers, as well, if they so choose -- they are more skillful at emotional manipulation toward other people to achieve their own ends.

It is also said how Feelers don't like conflict. But Thinkers may be inclined to do what's best for the group to avoid conflict -- thereby doing what they perceive as the right thing. What's right and wrong is a point of view.

I think conflict is more rooted in the P and J dichotomy. Ps, particularly ExxPs, are more tolerant of chaos and tend to be better at debating either with ideas (N) or by physical means (S). So you could say that ExxPs are more tolerant of conflict, while ExxJs try to resist conflict by controlling the outside world, either by changing (N) or stabilizing (S) the external world.

With Introverts, things become more complicated. IxxPs tend to tolerate conflict. ISxPs may enjoy observing the conflict in a more detached way because they enjoy being entertained. INxPs will also enjoy observing conflict because observations of the outer world fuel their minds with new ideas.

With IxxJs, they will tend to withdraw from the outer world and likely enjoy doing their own hobby. ISxJs will probably withdraw by doing something physical, such as going to the gym to release their anger or perhaps doing work around the house. INxJs, on the other hand, will withdraw into a personal idealized world and vent their anger out through internal desires -- constructing a vivid concept of what they wish to happen with the situation. This is probably why Ni types are the most inclined to meditate and be perceived as inactive.

MBTI
    TiSe

Quote Originally Posted by Uberfuhrer View Post
    "?" (you mind if I call you The Riddler? :P ), I do agree with you on that. However, Feelers make judgments based on emotion and personal values.
    Ummm... Enigma would be better I agree with the personal values, however we all can make decisions using our emotions. I think that Thinking types make attempts to preclude emotions, whereas Feeling types are more comfortable with it, however in the end it comes down to personal values and logic.
    Still, either Thinkers or Feelers can be perceived as cold-hearted. With Thinking, it is more obvious with emotional (not Feeling) types. However, Feelers can be cold-hearted, manipulative backstabbers, as well, if they so choose -- they are more skillful at emotional manipulation toward other people to achieve their own ends.
    Agreed. It reminds me of the fuzzy type saying, whereas INTPs are cold inside, but appear warm and fuzzy on the outside and INFJs are warm and fuzzy on the inside, but can appear cold on the outside.
    It is also said how Feelers don't like conflict. But Thinkers may be inclined to do what's best for the group to avoid conflict -- thereby doing what they perceive as the right thing. What's right and wrong is a point of view.
    Actually, I have read that INTPs avoid conflict at all cost.
    I think conflict is more rooted in the P and J dichotomy. Ps, particularly ExxPs, are more tolerant of chaos and tend to be better at debating either with ideas (N) or by physical means (S). So you could say that ExxPs are more tolerant of conflict, while ExxJs try to resist conflict by controlling the outside world, either by changing (N) or stabilizing (S) the external world.
    I will have to think about that. Conflict is relative. I personal look at conflicts as something to resolve, however I hate conflicts where there is too much emotion and becomes loud and boisterous. I will just walk away if I cannot reason with the other person. On the otherhand, when I snap I scare myself.
    With Introverts, things become more complicated. IxxPs tend to tolerate conflict. ISxPs may enjoy observing the conflict in a more detached way because they enjoy being entertained. INxPs will also enjoy observing conflict because observations of the outer world fuel their minds with new ideas.
    I don't enjoy conflicts. If I can contribute to resolve it, I will get right in the middle. Otherwise, again it's relative to what the conflict entails and how it's being presented. Loud and boisterous people make me nervous. When they are angry and showing a lot of emotion, I walk away.

MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Athenian200 View Post
    So, what you're saying is, thinking types actually feel real emotions, and don't simply express false ones out of a desire to learn more about people and/or acheive their goals? But how can you know that they haven't merely become so engrossed in such a goal, that they've actually convinced themselves that they feel emotions deeper than curiosity, a desire for efficiency, a drive towards their goals, and survival, when in reality they don't? In more extreme cases of this, perhaps the person would even appear to be a feeling type, because they will have convinced themselves so fully that they genuinely care and want to be cared about. How can we really know that we or anyone else genuinely feel anything, and don't just believe that we do? That's the question.
    We definitely feel real emotions...no doubt about it! I would go so far as to say because we ruminate on these feelings - when we express them there is a lot of power behind it! Because we've often analyzed it and decided how we feel and are committed to expressing it.

So we may not be as mercurial expressing emotions as F's do. We may inhibit the less important 'annoyances' that most F's have no trouble expressing. But it's mainly because, I think, that we realize a lot of feelings are flashes and fleeting moments and therefore, not worth investing energy into investigation or calling attention to.

Your last question is a philosophers wet dream! lol...I'm not going the way of the esoteric here. We can only speak for our own experiences. I know I'm feeling emotions because: I'm crying. I'm hurting. I'm smiling. I'm scared.
    Simple as that.
    ~luck favors the ready~

Shameless Self-Promotion:MDP2525's Den and the Start of Motorcycle Maintenance

The Dark Lord The Wailing Specter's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sp/so
    Socionics
    ENFP Ne

Let this continue.
    Enneagram: 6w7 (phobic) > 2w1 > 9w1
    Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
    Holland Code: AIS
    Date of Birth: March 15, 1996
    Political Stance: Libertarian Liberal (Arizona School/Strong BHL)
    ATHEIST UNITARIAN UNIVERSALIST HUMANIST
    and
    SCIENCE ENTHUSIAST

I say this as a reminder to myself, but this goes for everyone:

You can achieve anything you set your mind to, and you are limited only by how dedicated you are to succeed!

-Magic Qwan
    Likes highlander liked this post

SLEs show emotions all the time. They're just extremely rough and reactionary.

ILEs who deny behaving parallel to this (but in an Si/Ne analog) are lying.

MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp

I think it's more fluid than is depicted. Thinking doms have feelings. They have more "concentrated" feeling. If we have it and express it, it is simplistic and therefore is expressed more "pure" and intensely than balanced with other elements (taking into account feelings of others as well as their own feelings, for instance) than an NF's would be expressed. It's not better or worse, just more raw. All or nothing. A bit more selfish than NF's feeling expression.

We are more built toward how we are affected.
    ~luck favors the ready~

Shameless Self-Promotion:MDP2525's Den and the Start of Motorcycle Maintenance
    Likes The Wailing Specter liked this post

The Dark Lord The Wailing Specter's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sp/so
    Socionics
    ENFP Ne

Quote Originally Posted by MDP2525 View Post
    I think it's more fluid than is depicted. Thinking doms have feelings. They have more "concentrated" feeling. If we have it and express it, it is simplistic and therefore is expressed more "pure" and intensely than balanced with other elements (taking into account feelings of others as well as their own feelings, for instance) than an NF's would be expressed. It's not better or worse, just more raw. All or nothing. A bit more selfish than NF's feeling expression.

We are more built toward how we are affected.
    That clears up a lot. Can the same be said of thinking in feeling types?
    Enneagram: 6w7 (phobic) > 2w1 > 9w1
    Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
    Holland Code: AIS
    Date of Birth: March 15, 1996
    Political Stance: Libertarian Liberal (Arizona School/Strong BHL)
    ATHEIST UNITARIAN UNIVERSALIST HUMANIST
    and
    SCIENCE ENTHUSIAST

I say this as a reminder to myself, but this goes for everyone:

You can achieve anything you set your mind to, and you are limited only by how dedicated you are to succeed!

-Magic Qwan

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6
    Socionics
    ILI

No offence, but some of this is really ignorant. "thinking types actually feel real emotions, and don't simply express false ones out of a desire to learn more about people and/or acheive their goals? " - really? Oh my god.. where do I even begin? Of course we feel real emotion. Since we aren't robots, but humans, we do feel real emotions. The difference between thinking and feeling is mostly about our decision-making process. And thinking dom will usually have quite big difficulties expressing those emotions that they DO actually really feel. I, for one, have very intense feelings about everything around me, whether it's a person, an object, a situation or whatever. I'm just not guided by them. I make my decisions based on logic and reason and not based on feelings. Moreover, whenever I do express my feelings, they will always be real and without any embelishment. I would never ever express false emotions.
    I doubt any thinking dom would ever express false emotions, even if they wanted to learn more about someone. On the contrary, I would think that, since we tend to repress our feelings, the mere act of expressing them would give more value to whatever it is we're trying to express. I think you're confusing an obsessively manipulative individual with someone with a dominant thinking function. Let me break it to you: it's really, really not the same thing. I'd actually go as far as saying that feelers are more manipulative than thinkers.