User Tag List

Default Types and Motivation

Is there any ideas out there on how each type can motivate themselves?
    For example maybe a Fi dominant could motivate themselves best by manipulating their values?

For a workable answer you should try asking this in edcoachings q&a thread.

MBTI
    INTP

^ excellent advice, and very time saving one at that!
    My cold, snide, intellectual life is just a veneer, behind which lies the plywood of loneliness.

MBTI
    TiSe

Quote Originally Posted by wolfy View Post
    Is there any ideas out there on how each type can motivate themselves?
    For example maybe a Fi dominant could motivate themselves best by manipulating their values?
    When discussing type, extraverted types will always need external stimulus to motivate them and introverts will be always self-motivated. An example would be that extraverts may be motivated to progress career wise to keep up with the Joneses (or a comparison to their neighbors) whereas introverts could care less about their neighbors and making external comparisons.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Frank View Post
    For a workable answer you should try asking this in edcoachings q&a thread.

Here's a simple way I help teachers explore how to motivate students. You can think of it in terms of dominant functions or take a look at each preference that applies to you and figure out which motivation might be easier to tap into in a given situation. I've got it charted by preferences, too, on how to finish a dissertation

Sensing--experiences that are physically real, useful and practical
    Intuition--experiences that hold fascinating possibilities, engage imagination
    Thinkingócontrol and competency, logical orderliness, things making sense
    Feeling--harmonious relationships in oneís life

So...taking dissertations, a Sensing type might make sure his/her topic takes them out into the settings where they might actually use it. My husband tested scuba equipment and the Navy used his results.
    Intuition--make sure the dissertation has an exploratory, imaginative side. I used a metaphor throughout mine (It's actually called Long Underwear in the Tropics...
    Thinking--pick something where you can be the expert or be in charge. A friend finished quickly by doing a case study of 4 competent female leaders, something she herself was
    Feeling--make sure people are involved. Extend surveys into indepth interviews.

Is this even close to what you're looking for?
    edcoaching

Quote Originally Posted by edcoaching View Post
    Is this even close to what you're looking for?

Yes! This is the exactly the kind of thing I was looking for. Any resources you recommend? This really interests me.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram

Yes! This is the exactly the kind of thing I was looking for. Any resources you recommend? This really interests me.
    I'll do a bit of a search tomorrow...
    edcoaching

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram

I'm not aware of much online, but here are a couple of not-very-pricey suggestions.

• Out of Time: How the 16 types manage their time and work by Larry Demarest. Available from CAPT: Training, Books, Research for MBTI, Archetypes, Leadership, Psychological Type. and probably from amazon.com. Larry was a top trainer/consultant INTJ.
    • The 8 colors of fitness by Suzanne Brue emphasizes how to get motivated to stay physically fit by type but it'd be easy to translate the ideas into other areas of life
    • Working together by Isachsen and Berens, while very business oriented, lists characteristics and their implications. There is some info on motivations but I find it insightful in ways that motivates self-awareness that leads to wanting to change behaviors
    • What's Your Type of Career by Dunning looks at not just careers but HOW to job search by type and each type's pitfalls.

So a lot of what I think you might be looking for can be found within texts that have various applications of type theory. My whole book for teachers is in essence on how to motivate students--make them glad they're in class and actually learning something as well. Novel approach, huh...
    edcoaching