• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Types and Motivation

wolfy

awsm
Is there any ideas out there on how each type can motivate themselves?
For example maybe a Fi dominant could motivate themselves best by manipulating their values?

Frank

For a workable answer you should try asking this in edcoachings q&a thread.

Simplexity

MBTI Type
INTP
^ excellent advice, and very time saving one at that!

"?"

MBTI Type
TiSe
Is there any ideas out there on how each type can motivate themselves?
For example maybe a Fi dominant could motivate themselves best by manipulating their values?
When discussing type, extraverted types will always need external stimulus to motivate them and introverts will be always self-motivated. An example would be that extraverts may be motivated to progress career wise to keep up with the Joneses (or a comparison to their neighbors) whereas introverts could care less about their neighbors and making external comparisons.

edcoaching

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
For a workable answer you should try asking this in edcoachings q&a thread.

:hi:

Here's a simple way I help teachers explore how to motivate students. You can think of it in terms of dominant functions or take a look at each preference that applies to you and figure out which motivation might be easier to tap into in a given situation. I've got it charted by preferences, too, on how to finish a dissertation :BangHead:

Sensing--experiences that are physically real, useful and practical
Intuition--experiences that hold fascinating possibilities, engage imagination
Thinking—control and competency, logical orderliness, things making sense
Feeling--harmonious relationships in one’s life

So...taking dissertations, a Sensing type might make sure his/her topic takes them out into the settings where they might actually use it. My husband tested scuba equipment and the Navy used his results.
Intuition--make sure the dissertation has an exploratory, imaginative side. I used a metaphor throughout mine (It's actually called Long Underwear in the Tropics...
Thinking--pick something where you can be the expert or be in charge. A friend finished quickly by doing a case study of 4 competent female leaders, something she herself was
Feeling--make sure people are involved. Extend surveys into indepth interviews.

Is this even close to what you're looking for?

edcoaching

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Yes! This is the exactly the kind of thing I was looking for. Any resources you recommend? This really interests me.

I'll do a bit of a search tomorrow...

edcoaching

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Yes! This is the exactly the kind of thing I was looking for. Any resources you recommend? This really interests me.

I'm not aware of much online, but here are a couple of not-very-pricey suggestions.

• Out of Time: How the 16 types manage their time and work by Larry Demarest. Available from CAPT: Training, Books, Research for MBTI, Archetypes, Leadership, Psychological Type. and probably from amazon.com. Larry was a top trainer/consultant INTJ.
  • The 8 colors of fitness by Suzanne Brue emphasizes how to get motivated to stay physically fit by type but it'd be easy to translate the ideas into other areas of life
  • Working together by Isachsen and Berens, while very business oriented, lists characteristics and their implications. There is some info on motivations but I find it insightful in ways that motivates self-awareness that leads to wanting to change behaviors
  • What's Your Type of Career by Dunning looks at not just careers but HOW to job search by type and each type's pitfalls.

So a lot of what I think you might be looking for can be found within texts that have various applications of type theory. My whole book for teachers is in essence on how to motivate students--make them glad they're in class and actually learning something as well. Novel approach, huh...