User Tag List

First 234

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram

I found this. Didn't learn much of anything new from it, but it's a nice review.

EXTROVERT VS INTROVERT

Some quotable quotes if you don't wanna read the whole thing:

Remember, someone you know, respect and interact with every day is an introvert, and you are probably driving this person nuts. :steam: (I just thought this was funny)

There are definitely benefits to being an introvert. Introverts do better in college and graduate school. They divorce less and change jobs less than do extroverts. However, a study of 258 college students found that extroverts had higher self-esteem and fewer sleep problems.

Novelty seekers (where’s the bungee-jumping party?) were found to have a long D4DR gene and were less sensitive to dopamine, a chemical mediator for pleasure and emotion in the brain. The “low-novelty seekers” had short D4DR genes that were highly sensitive to dopamine. Because they receive enough dopamine in quiet activities, they don’t need as much “buzz” in their lives. They feel more discomfort than enjoyment from thrill-seeking or risk-taking. Too much dopamine and they feel over-stimulated.

The introverted brain has a higher level of internal activity and thinking than the extroverted brain. It is dominated by the long, slow pathway of another neurotransmitter called acetylcholine. Introverts require a limited range of not too much or too little dopamine, another brain chemical, and a good level of acetylcholine to keep a calm feeling instituted. Acetylcholine serves as a trigger to the brain to conserve energy and stimulates good thinking and feeling.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

^

Yeah, I wrote about D4DR elsewhere. That bit is interesting. Also the pathway stuff - I'll upload the diagrams. I don't know if it all follows though. I score high on risk-taking/thrill-seeking despite being an introvert. Maybe we should have a new poll!

Then again, maybe not.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by bluemonday View Post
    ^

Yeah, I wrote about D4DR elsewhere. That bit is interesting. Also the pathway stuff - I'll upload the diagrams. I don't know if it all follows though. I score high on risk-taking/thrill-seeking despite being an introvert. Maybe we should have a new poll!

Then again, maybe not.
    I think in MBTI language, NTP can all make a contribution to thrill seeking and NP to risk-taking.

In Big Five language NTP matches most closely with high openness, low neuroticism, and low conscientiousness. High openness folks are more easily bored with the same ol' crap and are much more interested in trying new things. High neuroticism types are more easily excited, so to get a low neuroticism type excited it takes more. Low conscientiousness types are more playful and less professional and don't resist urges as well. The personality trait with the strongest link to gambling problems and drug/alcohol addictions is low consolidation.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

Last edited by Salomé; 11-10-2008 at 09:36 AM.