• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Ambiverts and cognitive processes.

wolfy

awsm
In theory what happens if you are a 50/50 I and E.An ambivert. Would your 1st and 2nd function and 3rd and 4th flip now and again.

The reason I ask is because that seems to be my experience IRL and was curious about the theory.

wildcat

MBTI Type
INTP
In theory what happens if you are a 50/50 I and E.An ambivert. Would your 1st and 2nd function and 3rd and 4th flip now and again.

The reason I ask is because that seems to be my experience IRL and was curious about the theory.
The eight functions stand in an overall balance.
A mood may change. But it affects all people.

Kristiana

MBTI Type
INTJ
Heh, when I'm manic, I turn into an E type and it seems I'm some sort of odd Ne/Te dominant mix.

Bipolar people are exceptions though ;)

Simplexity

MBTI Type
INTP
I think its more so just you're auxilary being utilized more. When I'm hanging out with some of my ENTP friends I'm like sort a side kick ENTP, when I'm drunk that is most definitely how I act. I guess its one of those things where environmentally you learn how to utilize a weaker function a lot more consciously and fluidly. You're most likely never an ambivert.

mlittrell

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
9w1
good question. my answer is even though a test may say your 50/50, tests can be flawed. imo you are either an extrovert or an introvert. now you can be infinitely close to a 50/50 but you are still one or another.

there is a gene(s) that have to do with preference in introversion and extroversion

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
hmmm...interesting...i'm right in the middle and feel like both...but i have no idea yet...so basically...you either prefer to be WITH people or not...

but...what if you relate completely to both...except for that minor detail...or is it minor?

mlittrell

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
9w1
i read up on ambivert a little. now if it is a true 50/50 split... then i have no idea lol. personally though, i think ambiverts lean towards either introversion or extroversion. from what ive read about ambiverts, it is truly a "child" of tests. idk i got all of it off of wikipedia so its probably ehh. i would consider myself an ambivert according to that definition but i prefer extroversion. then again, i def. need my alone time.

now i think of myself as an ENFP but still an ambivert. Ambiversion works really well as a general description but not as an element of Jungs functions. from what ive noticed it mostly applies to XNXPs (i hate that notation) and most intuitives in general.

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
hmmm...i thought a bit about this...and the first time i tested it said infp but i didn't notice the percentages...and i related to it...but...wouldn't have if it didn't mention the extrovert suit...or the fact that they can be quite social...so...i retook it to notice the percentages...and the 2nd time it said enfp 56% extrovert so...i'm assuming the last time i took it..it must have been close too...anyway...getting to the point...i think
but...it makes sense that since the feeling and tuition is high that you can sense rather or not your exuberance would be appreciated in certain company...and since it's important how you are perceived...you would tone it down around some people...so knowing...how you really are outside of the you who's trying not to offend people by being too extroverted...is kinda confusing...or it is to me...maybe because i'm so in the middle??? idk....what was the question again...haha

mlittrell

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
9w1
the question had to do with functions. if you were an ambivert, would how would it affect your functions. ambiversion and the functions dont work together so the question is irrelevant.

Clownmaster

EvanTheClown (ETC)
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
mlit.jpg

The effects of ambiversion

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
i see...so...if you're in the middle...the most likely answer is that you just answered some questions inaccurately...because you are in fact one or the other.
is that was you're saying?

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
also...is it possible to confuse introspection with self analyzing or are they one in the same?

mlittrell

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
9w1
i see...so...if you're in the middle...the most likely answer is that you just answered some questions inaccurately...because you are in fact one or the other.

ehh ya i would say so but im no expert when it comes to tests. all i know is they are flawed. ambiversion is defintely relevant to personality types but it doesn't work with the Jung function model.
The effects of ambiversion

ya pretty much haha

Jack Flak

Permabanned
MBTI Type
type
The types came before the tests. The tests are an attempt to decipher something innate by way of your behavior, same as observation and self-analysis, which is why they are unreliable. For example, you may be introverted but still go out with friends a lot.

It's also the reason why your percentages are relatively meaningless, and totally meaningless once you've accurately typed yourself. You don't know much about the system yet, so it makes sense that you don't fully understand the difference between, say, ENFP and INFP, but if you keep at it you will.

Mondo

Welcome to Sunnyside
MBTI Type
EsTP
Enneagram
6w7
I think absolute ambiversion is impossible, since one can't be an introvert and extravert at once but I think it is possible that either the dominant and auxiliary functions could form a partnership together- resulting in ambiversion.

mlittrell

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
9w1
The types came before the tests. The tests are an attempt to decipher something innate by way of your behavior, same as observation and self-analysis, which is why they are unreliable. For example, you may be introverted but still go out with friends a lot.

It's also the reason why your percentages are relatively meaningless, and totally meaningless once you've accurately typed yourself. You don't know much about the system yet, so it makes sense that you don't fully understand the difference between, say, ENFP and INFP, but if you keep at it you will.
beautifully stated. thank you :) couldn't have said it better myself.

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
beautifully stated. thank you :) couldn't have said it better myself.
he's good like that right...you've both been so helpful... thanks...and it's all so interesting to me...i'll just keep reading then.. :)