• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

ISTPs, INTPs and "Words of Affirmation"

Sunshine

MBTI Type
ABCD
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Do any of you Ti dominant types have words of affirmation as your love language?

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
No.

I don't even think I have one of those silly "love languages."

Every time I see that nutty list, it's "meh" all over again.

Sunshine

MBTI Type
ABCD
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
No.

I don't even think I have one of those silly "love languages."

Every time I see that nutty list, it's "meh" all over again.

Have you ever seen more than the list? It doesn't really make much sense unless you've read a bit about each one.

Also, while the 5 languages theory may not always hold true in every instance the idea behind it is crucial for a healthy relationship; we need to know what communicates love to our loved ones or else they won't feel loved. So IMO it's not silly at all.

My ISTP brother's love language is physical touch.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Have you ever seen more than the list? It doesn't really make much sense unless you've read a bit about each one.

Yes, dear -- I read the books years ago.
The list is not comprehensive.

Coming up through Christian circles, I also got tired of everyone bringing it up like it was as profound as Kierkegaard.

Some people just don't fit the categories, and it was annoying to have people try to force me to be in one.

INA

now! in shell form
MBTI Type
intp
How do you escape having one language or the other (words, touch, being of service or or quality time or gifts)? What are some of the ways it leaves out?

ptgatsby

MBTI Type
ISTP
They aren't comprehensive.

Indeed.

However, the languages can be learnt, which tells me that it is a good start for learning how to show love and mutual respect. I found it helpful for pulling away from myself and asking "If I was with myself, how would I feel? How can I show it better?".

In my eyes, it's a how-to self-help book. Nothing robust, but good enough if one desires to change and is willing to make the effort.

edit: For the OP - As a Ti dominant, it didn't come naturally, but I did do it a little already. I've learnt to do it a lot more since then.

Poser

Fe, rusted.
MBTI Type
INTP
OMG. My wife just made me read this book. Was it wrong of me to lie and say mine was "physical touch"?

Sunshine

MBTI Type
ABCD
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Yes, dear -- I read the books years ago.
The list is not comprehensive.

Coming up through Christian circles, I also got tired of everyone bringing it up like it was as profound as Kierkegaard.

Some people just don't fit the categories, and it was annoying to have people try to force me to be in one.

I'm sure that must have been annoying. I'm sorry to hear that.

I hope you don't think I'm trying to force people into categories. I'm not. I'm just wondering because I see a pattern...none of the Ti dominants I know have or even like words of affirmation much.

And I dunno about profound but I've found this stuff very useful.

Poser

Fe, rusted.
MBTI Type
INTP
I hope you don't think I'm trying to force people into categories. I'm not. I'm just wondering because I see a pattern...none of the Ti dominants I know have or even like words of affirmation much.

And I dunno about profound but I've found this stuff very usefull.

My real one was words of affirmation. But really, more so because none of the others fit.

Sunshine

MBTI Type
ABCD
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
My real one was words of affirmation. But really, more so because none of the others fit.

Okay so much for that pattern.

Um are there other things that make you feel much more loved than words?

Kora

MBTI Type
ENTP
That Words of Affirmation thing is what gets me on my nerves. I'd rather date a mute person than one which 'love language' is that. Why saying constantly something you know? Is better to show that you really care about the other person than go fullfilling your mouth with empty words...
I guess I'm more of a Quality Time person, if I should choose one.

Poser

Fe, rusted.
MBTI Type
INTP
Okay so much for that pattern.

Um are there other things that make you feel much more loved than words?

Actions. But not acts of service. I mean, I would just feel patronized if they were just words of affirmation. Maybe it is a combination of everything? A kind word (but not put on too thick), a touch, wanting to spend time with me.

Jack Flak

Permabanned
MBTI Type
type
I don't know about this for myself. If I'm using someone else's tricks to fake something I don't really want to fake in the first place, I'd probably just rather be myself and screw it up like I usually do.

INA

now! in shell form
MBTI Type
intp
That Words of Affirmation thing is what gets me on my nerves. I'd rather date a mute person than one which 'love language' is that. Why saying constantly something you know? Is better to show that you really care about the other person than go fullfilling your mouth with empty words...

Amen.

Tallulah

Emerging
MBTI Type
INTP
I think part of what Jennifer's saying (I might be wrong) is that it's not as simple as saying "this is what I value, so concentrate on that." I love words of affirmation, but not in a gooey way, like, "Gosh, you're so smart and special. Do you know how special you are?" ;) More like, if I'm stressed out and feeling like I'm not up for a certain challenge, someone reminds me how I'm prepared for it, and I've done a good job in the past, etc. I kind of like pet names if it's done in a non-patronizing way. Basically, you have to make sure the INTP/ISTP doesn't feel like you're doing it because you read it in a book, b/c that feels kind of weird and patronizing. We like to feel like we're unique, even when we're not. :smile:

I like touch, but not all the time. I love it when someone helps me out without my having to ask. I love it when someone spends time with me doing something I like to do, when I know it's not their favorite thing in the world. I think whatever you do, you should do it in the most low-key way possible. Making a big deal kind of negates the whole thing.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
OMG. My wife just made me read this book. Was it wrong of me to lie and say mine was "physical touch"?

Oooooo..... you BRAT!!!! ;)

I'm gonna tell!

I'm sure that must have been annoying. I'm sorry to hear that.

And I dunno about profound but I've found this stuff very useful.

No, you're not, I know.
And I'm being a spot cantankerous.

But then again, the thread was directed at IxTPs, so I figured I might as well be honest. (If it had been a general type thread, I wouldn't have said much.)

I just did not find it that useful at all.
I know for some people, esp if they line up with a particular giving/receiving style, it CAN be helpful.

And as PT says, the styles can still be "learned," and I think it does encourage positively the need to look at one's mate, see what THEY need as well as what THEY can give, and work with it.

I think part of what Jennifer's saying (I might be wrong) is that it's not as simple as saying "this is what I value, so concentrate on that." I love words of affirmation, but not in a gooey way, like, "Gosh, you're so smart and special. Do you know how special you are?" ;)

I wasn't really saying anything like that, but I agree with you -- I really hate the way sometimes people try too hard to do something authentic and make it inauthentic in the process. Uggh.

I can sense forced Words of Affirmation from two miles away, and I want to run and hide.

Basically, you have to make sure the INTP/ISTP doesn't feel like you're doing it because you read it in a book, b/c that feels kind of weird and patronizing. We like to feel like we're unique, even when we're not. :smile:

I think with IxTP, you have to remember there's a bullsh*t meter running all the time. If you're not doing something spontaneously, it's going to be pretty obvious... and inauthenticity is a major sin with the type.

The only way you get by with being inauthentic is if I sense you are actually trying to do it out of love, so I'll make an allowance for your intentions... but at the same time it doesn't make me FEEL good. :(

I like touch, but not all the time. I love it when someone helps me out without my having to ask. I love it when someone spends time with me doing something I like to do, when I know it's not their favorite thing in the world. I think whatever you do, you should do it in the most low-key way possible. Making a big deal kind of negates the whole thing.

Let me think about what matters to me... and maybe I have changed recently and fit a category better, I don't know. It's been some time since I read it, I just had a sour taste in my mouth from it in the past.

I feel loved when people notice me and think I'm worth noticing.

I feel loved when people do, say, or offer something that shows they understand (1) who I am and (2) what I really need and (3) care enough to engage.

I feel loved when I don't ask for help or protection or encouragement and someone notices I need it (because they are empathizing with me) and they go out of their way to step in without me even hinting I'd like it and just take the load off my back. (wow.)

I feel loved when I get letters out of the blue, where someone shares about their thoughts or meaningful experiences in their lives.

Where does that fit?

Sunshine

MBTI Type
ABCD
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I think part of what Jennifer's saying (I might be wrong) is that it's not as simple as saying "this is what I value, so concentrate on that." I love words of affirmation, but not in a gooey way, like, "Gosh, you're so smart and special. Do you know how special you are?" ;) More like, if I'm stressed out and feeling like I'm not up for a certain challenge, someone reminds me how I'm prepared for it, and I've done a good job in the past, etc. I kind of like pet names if it's done in a non-patronizing way. Basically, you have to make sure the INTP/ISTP doesn't feel like you're doing it because you read it in a book, b/c that feels kind of weird and patronizing. We like to feel like we're unique, even when we're not. :smile:

I think you brought up some really good points. Thanks. :)

Randomnity

insert random title here
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Basically, you have to make sure the INTP/ISTP doesn't feel like you're doing it because you read it in a book, b/c that feels kind of weird and patronizing. ...

I think whatever you do, you should do it in the most low-key way possible. Making a big deal kind of negates the whole thing.
I agree.

I don't really have a clear-cut favourite, I think they're all nice, but words of affirmation is fairly unimportant, if I had to rank them.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I agree.

I don't really have a clear-cut favourite, I think they're all nice, but words of affirmation is fairly unimportant, if I had to rank them.

Do they come with an accent of our choosing?
Hmmm.... maybe if they were spoken in french...

Orangey

Blah
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
6w5
I don't know about this for myself. If I'm using someone else's tricks to fake something I don't really want to fake in the first place, I'd probably just rather be myself and screw it up like I usually do.

I agree with this. *and this was kind of my point in the thread about that Dale Carnegie book, for anyone involved in that discussion as well*

These are good points. I agree entirely.