123 Last

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9w8
    Socionics
    INTj

Default Useless fluffy wubbie stuff?

Okay so I've noted whilst reading through a couple of MBTI books that they seem to almost be useless after a while. The reason for this, in my opinion, is that they concentrate quite heavily on the positive side of a personality type.

I'm not sure about other's but I tend to find analysis of a types flaws, the various traps they may get caught in and the general areas for improvement, much more helpful both in typing people and helping them in general and yet there seems to be less information on this than on why it's "okay" to be your type, something I've never considered a particular problem despite being the only P in a family of Js.

Do you have the same problem?
    Does anyone have any good sources?
    Isn't it time for a colourful metaphor?

ish red no longer *sad* nightning's Avatar
    MBTI
    INfj

I don't know of any sources of websites describing the negative side of types much. With the exception of that MBTI type correlation to various stats... forgotten where I came across it though.

I think you'll have more luck having people make a list of faults here and take it from there.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9w8
    Socionics
    INTj

Quote Originally Posted by nightning View Post
    I don't know of any sources of websites describing the negative side of types much. With the exception of that MBTI type correlation to various stats... forgotten where I came across it though.

I think you'll have more luck having people make a list of faults here and take it from there.
    Well true but most of them are more of the style of "this type has problems with that type because one does this and the other does that" than there would be "this type should watch out for this because they are prone to do this".

If you catch my drift.
    Isn't it time for a colourful metaphor?

MBTI
    INFP

Okay so I've noted whilst reading through a couple of MBTI books that they seem to almost be useless after a while. The reason for this, in my opinion, is that they concentrate quite heavily on the positive side of a personality type.
    :steam: That annoys me so much
    I'm not sure about other's but I tend to find analysis of a types flaws, the various traps they may get caught in and the general areas for improvement, much more helpful both in typing people and helping them in general and yet there seems to be less information on this than on why it's "okay" to be your type, something I've never considered a particular problem despite being the only P in a family of Js.
    Agree with you

Do you have the same problem?
    , when I read the problems of infjs I can relate much more than the "qualities", that's actually what helped me make a difference between infp and infj because I was extremely confused.
    Does anyone have any good sources?
    Try these descriptions and tell me if it sounds good to you:

INTP Personal Growth

http://www.geocities.com/lifexplore/intp.htm(skip the "fluff" at the end, you'll know where it is.)

INTP - Jung Type Descriptions

INTP - On A Team

So I'm not the only one who thought that the kersey temperament was BS and seemed very fluffy ?
    I went on the personal growth part and in my opinion that's where it all starts to make sense.
    I got a feeling that you probably already read all these descriptions though.
    Sometimes I feel like I'm "on Mercury"-

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

You mean to say that you don't get enough working examples of the dark sides of different personality types around here?
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

Sniffles

It's an inevitable consequence of what Christopher Lasch termed "The Culture of Narcissism"; where essentially self-esteem and "feeling good" about yourself are among the most important concepts promoted.

Of course the problem is that one never really gets a full honest picture of themselves, and ironically it leads to more anxiety and depression. It means accepting the person you want to be, rather than accepting the person you really are.

When I read about the flaws of INFJs, I can't help but laugh because they're so true. I was rolling out my chair when I glanced through the INFJ Hate Thread.

It's easy and fun to laugh at yourself when you're secure in understanding who you really are, and accepting yourself for who you are.

Banned
    MBTI
    type

That's the standard angle, Xander. Have you noticed they're in the Self-Help section, and not the Psychology section? I have.

They want to sell to laypeople, not professionals, and they'll get farther with complimentary individualization than derogation.

MBTI
    INFP

I just strolled down that hate thread, thanks peguy...maybe xander should find an intp hate thread( or better start one :P) or why the why INT sucks one?
    Sometimes I feel like I'm "on Mercury"-

Sniffles

Quote Originally Posted by Dwigie View Post
    I just strolled down that hate thread, thanks peguy...maybe xander should find an intp hate thread( or better start one :P) or why the why INT sucks one?
    If none exists, we could always create one.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram

Was That Really Me? by Naomi Quenk is about eruptions of the inferior.

Lots of teh coaching books like Differentiated Coaching and Introduction to Type and Coaching have information on common flaws

Working Together by Isachsen and Behrens points out all kinds of flaws

Sundial by Brydans is all about type and disease

Three Keys to Self-Understanding by Wyman weds the Enneagram with type to show how people can learn to take control of their lives,

SoulTypes by Hirsh and Kise is mainly on spirituality but has stuff on how each type spirals out of control.

Jung's Psychological Types probably has the most negative info since he derived it via working with people who weren't mentally healthy.

There's also the little fact that type is about normal differences among normal people, and every single type can be arrogant/stubborn/bossy/insecure/etc. depending on nurture/roles/difficulties. Because it's used so much with teams a lot of the resources were developed in keeping with the idea that giving people ammunition to tear each other down is generally not helpful...
    edcoaching