User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Keirsey vs. Myers Briggs

Glycerine

Default Keirsey vs. Myers Briggs

What are the major differences? If you are one type on the Myers Briggs, does that mean you are still the same type on the Keirsey?

Banned Array
    MBTI
    type
    Post Thanks / Like

The types correlate. Also: Keirsey rules, and Myers & Briggs suck it.

Senior Member Array cloakofsnow's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFx
    Post Thanks / Like

Keirsey is temperament and Myers-Briggs is cognitive types. Theoretically they're supposed to correlate directly even though they're different models, so, yes, you have to be the same type in both systems.

I personally think of Keirsey as being related to the elements systems: earth, air, water, fire:

SJ - Earth
    NT - Air
    NF - Water
    SP - Fire

Looking at it this way, it would explain why Keirsey thinks J-P makes a bigger difference to S types, and T-F a bigger difference to N types. It would be my answer to a question in another thread (sorry, can't remember the name of the thread) that asks why it's SJ and SP and not ST and SF, or why it's NT and NF rather than NP and NJ.

Myers-Briggs doesn't fit so neatly with the four elements system. ISTP, even though an SP according to Keirsey, is really a dominant Introverted Thinker according to Myers-Briggs. So elementally, should that be Fire or Air? Neither, it seems; or both. To me, that's how I can tell that the two systems are different.

Sorry if my response is a bit confusing. I just noticed that it isn't a completely direct answer to your question.

Senior Member Array ThatsWhatHeSaid's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    9w8
    Socionics
    FUEL Ni
    Post Thanks / Like

Keirsey conceptualizes introversion and extroversion, as well as judging and perceiving slightly differently from MB's. It's not that far off, though, so there are lots of correlates. Also, I believe that temperaments are Keirsey's creation, not MBs'. Keirsey expanded his operations beyond the workforce to include relationships, which you can read about in his books Please Understand Me, Please Understand Me II, and Are You Fucking Deaf or Stupid or What? Why Can't You Understand Me?.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    Post Thanks / Like

Also, Kiersey didn't publish any reliability/validity data on his assessment until this year. The tool was created out of his own experience which is a bit different from researched test items. That said, the reliability data wasn't awful. I read it but didn't keep a copy of the paper. Sorry.

Myers-Briggs is just one of the tools that helps people figure out their Jungian personality type. There's also the Golden, the PTI, the JTI and lots of other unresearched "pop" quizzes. Once you know either what Kiersey defines as your temperament or what Jung described as your psychological type, then you can access tons of resources on relationships, work satisfaction, leadership coaching, marriage, parenting, spirituality, fitness, wellness, counseling, aging, midlife, stress management, education, team building...
    edcoaching

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    548 sp/sx
    Socionics
    INTj
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cloakofsnow View Post
    Keirsey is temperament and Myers-Briggs is cognitive types. Theoretically they're supposed to correlate directly even though they're different models, so, yes, you have to be the same type in both systems.

I personally think of Keirsey as being related to the elements systems: earth, air, water, fire:

SJ - Earth
    NT - Air
    NF - Water
    SP - Fire

Looking at it this way, it would explain why Keirsey thinks J-P makes a bigger difference to S types, and T-F a bigger difference to N types. It would be my answer to a question in another thread (sorry, can't remember the name of the thread) that asks why it's SJ and SP and not ST and SF, or why it's NT and NF rather than NP and NJ.

Myers-Briggs doesn't fit so neatly with the four elements system. ISTP, even though an SP according to Keirsey, is really a dominant Introverted Thinker according to Myers-Briggs. So elementally, should that be Fire or Air? Neither, it seems; or both. To me, that's how I can tell that the two systems are different.

Sorry if my response is a bit confusing. I just noticed that it isn't a completely direct answer to your question.
    Keirsey got several things mixed up, there.

Originally, the four elements, tied to the four humours as follows:

Earth: Melancholic (cold, dry)
    Air: Sanguine (hot, wet)
    Fire: Choleric (hot, dry)
    Water: Phlegmatic (cold, wet)

Notice, he has NF as water, yet claimed it was Choleric. (SJ he correctly has as both earth and Melancholic). Then fire and air were reversed as well, though it is understandable to associate Sanguine with fire. However, it better fit air, because the temperament is light, and not as serious and potentially destructive as Choleric. In either case, the shared "hotness" would represent the expressiveness or extroversion. Dryness is seriousness.

As to which element a type like ISTP would be, remember also, that there is another four temperament matrix interlayed in the types: the Interaction Styles. (These are sort of reverse of the Keirseyan groupings, with T/F making a bigger difference to S types, and J/P making a bigger difference to N types). So ISTP is Chart the Course (Melancholic), in addition to SP-Sanguine. So it would be both earth and air.
    APS Profile: Inclusion: e/w=1/6 (Supine) |Control: e/w=7/3 (Choleric) |Affection: e/w=1/9 (Supine)
    Ti 54.3 | Ne 47.3 | Si 37.8 | Fe 17.7 | Te 22.5 | Ni 13.4 | Se 18.9 | Fi 27.9

Temperament (APS) from scratch -- MBTI Type from scratch
    Type Ideas

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Flak View Post
    The types correlate. Also: Keirsey rules, and Myers & Briggs suck it.
    they are all (keirsey (who does rule btw), Myers & Briggs, and Jung) essential to the system we have today.
    "Honest differences are often a healthy sign of progress. "

"You must not lose faith in humanity. Humanity is an ocean; if a few drops of the ocean are dirty, the ocean does not become dirty."

"An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind."

Mahatma Gandhi

Enneagram: 9w1

Glycerine

Quote Originally Posted by ThatsWhatHeSaid View Post
    Keirsey conceptualizes introversion and extroversion, as well as judging and perceiving slightly differently from MB's. It's not that far off, though, so there are lots of correlates. Also, I believe that temperaments are Keirsey's creation, not MBs'. Keirsey expanded his operations beyond the workforce to include relationships, which you can read about in his books Please Understand Me, Please Understand Me II, and Are You Fucking Deaf or Stupid or What? Why Can't You Understand Me?.
    haha, thank you!

Glycerine

Quote Originally Posted by mlittrell View Post
    they are all (keirsey (who does rule btw), Myers & Briggs, and Jung) essential to the system we have today.
    I would have to agree with you on that. Without the many different models, we would not have as in depth of a understanding of personality as we do. Although since personality types are just theoretical, there are still going to be a lot of flaws.

Glycerine

Quote Originally Posted by cloakofsnow View Post

SJ - Earth
    NT - Air
    NF - Water
    SP - Fire

No, your reponse was rather helpful. . So basically, there are some strong correlations between the two but also some major discrepancies?