• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Why is everyone an INFJ nowadays?

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
It really is simply here-say, but it is the best estimate we have on hand, and I was using it to illustrate a point. (That point being that even if INFJs actually did compromise 1% of the population, 1% still yields a somewhat large number of people.)

It would be safe to say that the INFJ personality is more realistically greater than 1 or 2% of the population based simply on probability, to gather a 1% estimate off of a small testing sample yields suspicion.

We also must consider the fact that these statistics were derived from dichotomy based testing, which is shunned here.

Also, many true INFs in general may have mistyped due to societal pressures to conform to more T and S like traits and behaviors. They may have literally fooled themselves into thinking they are different types.

What I was able to find was the following citation: "Estimated frequencies of the MBTI types" M.H. McCaulley, G.P. Macdaid, R.I. Kainz, Journal of Psychological Type, 1985, 45. Several papers cite this as well, but there seems to be some inconsistency with the journal authors which raises a few alarm bells. The biggest that Elizabeth Meyers was supposadly part of this. Sadly, my university does not have access to this paper, and when I go to the journal site itself, it doesn't seem to list it. There's lots of studies for type frequencies within various situations, careers, etc. but that would take A LOT of work to aggregate all that (and even then I suspect it would be incomplete), and I don't have the time.

I just like hard evidence for statistics and stuff :D.

I'd be interested to read that.

Any study on type frequency has to take into account who the sample population is, region, class, etc. If we tested the employees of a software company, for example, we'd most certainly find a larger percentage of NTs than would be found in the general population.

Also, we can complain about all of the "fake" INFJs on internet forums, but it is likely there is going to be a much larger representation of them found in online communities, disproportionate to "real world" frequency of that type, as NFs tend to be driven to be identity seekers or to learn about other types. In general, this seems to hold true for INTs and INFs on the internet. A gross overgeneralization not meant to offend or stereotype, but if an NT or NF takes a personality test, I'm willing to bet they are far more likely to want to learn more, to keep digging--especially INFPs and INFJs. A S-J or S-P might say, "cool, I'm this type", accept the results, and go on with their life, hence why they are a greater part of the general population but tend to be unicorns and diamonds in internet typology communities.

S

Sniffles

1b15eb7e77.jpg

Don't understand this really. Do not understand this at all!

Last edited:

Bilateral Entry

Internet User
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx
it's not all it's cracked up to be. they can be pretty nifty, but their amount of niftiness is in overload, so they often end up kind of insane

I mean that too much pondering over intricacies and too much emotional sensitivity can be paralyzing.

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
FINE I"LL BE A DAMN INFJ!!! i'll join your fucking cult. crazies

four

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4x3
For many years I typed as an INFJ on the tests and even took a professional MBTI assessment that typed me a INFJ with very high percentages. So I thought, cool, finally figured that out (and I was not aware of this internet culture of people being like, whaaaaaaaaaaa too many INFJs waaaaaaaa everyone wants to be rare wah wah. I didn't know about who was "rare" or what, I just thought the MBTI was interesting and potentially useful.) However, some good friends told me it couldn't be possible that I was an INFJ, it didn't "feel" right, the percentage in the population is too low, etc. Thinking they must be right and I must just not understand the system, I sort of went away from MBTI because I felt like I didn't relate to it, and that every time I started to relate to it (as an INFJ), everyone was telling me there were too few INFJs/too much misunderstanding about it for me to actually be one. So, I dunno. If I'm not an INFJ, fine, I'm totally open to other ideas. I just don't assess/test as any of the other types. It doesn't make sense to pretend/force myself to relate to them just to make other people feel better about their being one less alleged INFJ. I mean, seriously, that total spaz red-headed guy in the video who seems like he's on coke, ranting about alleged INFJs? If this issue makes people this mad, I don't think it's the INFJs ("real" or otherwise) who have the problem... internet, you need to chill!