User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Does depression make you an intuitive?

Senior Member Array ThatsWhatHeSaid's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    9w8
    Socionics
    FUEL Ni
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Does depression make you an intuitive?

Bear with me. (rawr)

I'm not sure if if the depression causes and intuition, or the other way around, but I'm going to posit that depression can, and perhaps often does, develop the intuitive function. The mechanism would be something like this:

Depression takes over
    The depression increases a person's tendency to ruminate, but also reflect on things
    Reflection is an intrinsically intuitive exercise, where normal labels and definitions of things are dissolved
    Depression urges people to dig deeper into people's motivations and pain
    Exploration like that is often an intuitive exercise
    Intuition is developed in conjunction with depression

MBTI
    Fi
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx/so
    Socionics
    SEE Fi
    Post Thanks / Like

You must be a fan of Keirsey if you falsely believe ruminations are an intuitive thing. Jung was pretty clear about it being an introverted function thing.
    "There's a sunrise and a sunset every day, and you can choose to be there for it - you can put yourself in the way of beauty" ~ Cheryl Strayed, Wild

The Zen of Moving in Stereo

SEE-Fi /Gamma

Permabanned Array
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILE
    Post Thanks / Like

I suppose being unhappy with how things currently are and being stuck without a way to change them could be iNtuition without judgment to balance it...but I don't know if that alone is caused by depression, especially since depression is caused by the exact opposite situation, as well.

And if anyone read Keirsey, they'll find that the SJs are matched up with the depressive (melancholic) temperament.

Green-Blooded Freak Array Vulcan's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 sx/sp
    Socionics
    INTj Ne
    Post Thanks / Like

No. I wouldn't be surprised to learn that there is an correlation with being intuitive (or introverted) and having experienced depression, but I would say that it's more likely that being an intuitive (or introverted) would make one more likely to be depressed. I'll stop before I get too much into special snowflake territory.
    Ravenclaw

Death is so terribly final, while life is full of possibilities. - Tyrion Lannister

Senior Member Array ThatsWhatHeSaid's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    9w8
    Socionics
    FUEL Ni
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Marmotini View Post
    You must be a fan of Keirsey if you falsely believe ruminations are an intuitive thing. Jung was pretty clear about it being an introverted function thing.
    I think Keirsey's interesting. I think MBTI is a little stupid in general, but it has its value. I don't know what Keirsey or Jung said about ruminations, but the fact that he said it doesn't interest me. Why did he say it? Did he have a good reason?

Ginkgo

Yeah I was about to say that Kiersey would give you a pat on the back.

I think depression could lead to intuitive activity, but not always. A bout of intuition caused by depression would lead to an epiphany about how to solve the problem that is causing depression. Jung would agree here. Ideally, the ego would take control of the process behind the scenes. If not, the intuition may lead to psychosis and a myriad of problems more damaging than depression.

The former process is probably extremely common. The latter, not so much.

EDIT: I should clarify that I'm not talking about long-term preferences. Just instances of cognitive activity.

If long-term depression is changing your cognitive preferences, frankly, it sounds kinda crappy.

MBTI
    ESFJ
    Enneagram
    3w2 so/sp
    Post Thanks / Like

I am neither an I or an N and I have gone through periods of pretty severe depression and over rumination.
    “We need to remember what's important in life: friends, waffles, work. Or waffles, friends, work. Doesn't matter, but work is third.” - Leslie Knope

3w2 6w7 1w2
    *Gryffindor*

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Post Thanks / Like

I think intuitives are more likely to get depressed (isn't intuition correlated with neuroticism?) but I think that's probably because we tend to be more isolated and less understood, because less common in the population. Also, because we analyse the fuck out of shit, which doesn't always help.

I don't think depression causes or develops intuition, no, though it does develop character.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    Gosh, the world looks so small from up here on my high horse of menstruation.

Stansmith

I've had something akin to Disthymia persistently since I was 12. No sensor-privilege here.

walked off into the abyss Array
    MBTI
    ciao
    Enneagram
    6 sp/so
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by msg_v2 View Post
    No. I wouldn't be surprised to learn that there is an correlation with being intuitive (or introverted) and having experienced depression, but I would say that it's more likely that being an intuitive (or introverted) would make one more likely to be depressed. I'll stop before I get too much into special snowflake territory.
    I think depression has a much higher correlation with introversion than intuitiveness.

Also, there is always the possibility of this "Si-Fi loop" that you guys talk about with depression.