User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Is Jung Cognitive Functions Wrong?

Banned Array
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sx/so
    Socionics
    Will
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Is Jung Cognitive Functions Wrong?

People determine their type way too often based on what they may score on a congnitve functions test, but the funny thing is, they may be, say, an INTP with higher Ni than Ti and Ne! I just don't think jung cognitive functions is that solid of a theory. I would be very interested if someone could prove me wrong.

MBTI
    Fi
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx/so
    Socionics
    SEE Fi
    Post Thanks / Like

If you're an INTP with high Ti and Ni...you're an ISTP, bro.

Some people believe that Keirsey temperaments are the only way...but even on the Keirsey forum I was typed as ESFP (E for Expressive, not E for Extrovert).

If there's anything that has convinced me that I AM ABSOLUTELY NOT A SOCIAL EXTROVERT it is the past month. Which is one of the reasons I stick with ISFP.

Also because when I take functions tests my highest function is Fi, and my lowest functions are both T functions, which means I'm rejecting Thinking.

I have taken functions tests that said I am INFJ...but that's because I tend to score high on Ni on functions tests because of the way the questions are worded (and my own over-estimation of my Ni). For example, when I first took Keys 2 Cognition a couple of years ago it said I was INFJ. I couldn't figure out why I had such high Fi and Ni, and why my Ni was sometimes higher than my Ne. Derp.
    and you salute me Miss America, cause I am, I am

The Zen of Moving in Stereo

SEE-Fi /Gamma

Banned Array
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sx/so
    Socionics
    Will
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Marmie Dearest View Post
    If you're an INTP with high Ti and Ni...you're an ISTP, bro.

Some people believe that Keirsey temperaments are the only way...but even on the Keirsey forum I was typed as ESFP (E for Expressive, not E for Extrovert).

If there's anything that has convinced me that I AM ABSOLUTELY NOT A SOCIAL EXTROVERT it is the past month. Which is one of the reasons I stick with ISFP.

Also because when I take functions tests my highest function is Fi, and my lowest functions are both T functions, which means I'm rejecting Thinking.

I have taken functions tests that said I am INFJ...but that's because I tend to score high on Ni on functions tests because of the way the questions are worded (and my own over-estimation of my Ni). For example, when I first took Keys 2 Cognition a couple of years ago it said I was INFJ. I couldn't figure out why I had such high Fi and Ni, and why my Ni was sometimes higher than my Ne. Derp.
    This is exactly why the functions theory fails, because you and me are scoring higher on functions not on the top of our list, and Ni definitely comes before Se.

MBTI
    Fi
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx/so
    Socionics
    SEE Fi
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RaptorWizard View Post
    This is exactly why the functions theory fails, because you and me are scoring higher on functions not on the top of our list, and Ni definitely comes before Se.
    No it just means you're in an introverted loop.

I, on the other hand, am not anymore. But I'm pretty sure I was in the past, sometime in my early-to-mid twenties.

It would really help you to get back in touch with your Se.

SEE-Fi /Gamma

Kraken down on piracy Array Lux's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I like the theory, but I dislike the functions tests. I think they skew things and if you know anything about it then the questions are too transparent. It'd be cool to have a real situation test...
    "It is not length of life, but depth of life." ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

"Thought breeds thought." ~ Henry David Thoreau

Banned Array
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sx/so
    Socionics
    Will
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Marmie Dearest View Post
    No it just means you're in an introverted loop.

I, on the other hand, am not anymore. But I'm pretty sure I was in the past, sometime in my early-to-mid twenties.

It would really help you to get back in touch with your Se.
    There my signature says ISTP. I was wrong. You did it! Congragulations.

Junior Member Array
    MBTI
    INFP
    Post Thanks / Like

Well I'm INFP but sometimes test as INFJ, and I believe that has to do with my S and T scores being really close to begin with, and me adapting to certain situations.
    Last edited by Asrai; 05-10-2012 at 05:32 PM.

MBTI
    Fi
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx/so
    Socionics
    SEE Fi
    Post Thanks / Like

There my signature says ISTP. I was wrong. You did it! Congragulations.
    Well I mean I know someone who was in an Si/Fi loop who kept calling himself ISFJ, when he clearly had about as much Fe as an ice-cube, and he kept saying how "extremely introverted" he was, and he was practically immobilized in his life...and when he was active, it seemed more about organizing or controlling his external space, not about people...in fact he admitted to quite a deep hatred of people, and a "you kids better get off my goddamn lawn" attitude toward children...and yeah, as soon as he got back in touch with his Te he was blazing off, it's like it pulled him out of his looooong rut.

Of course, unfortunately, I think he may have dipped into a Te/Ne loop in the beginning, causing him to act kind of like a crazy asshole.

SEE-Fi /Gamma

my user title is too shor Array polikujm's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Jung functions is just one theory, which you can use with MBTI even if that means inconsistency. You can use or devise whatever theory of functions you would like if it works. What I usually use for MBTI is the preferential theory that works exactly with the 4 function theory, so that the strengths of both the preferences and functions go from primary > secondary > tertiary > inferior.

This means if you merely test Ni > Ne > Ti, the test is accounting for your intuition preference over everything else and you're most likely INTJ or ENTP. Usually the P/J dichotomy is funky because it only accounts for 1/2 of the functions and introverts primarily use none of those. (Which is why) just see my signature.

Typing J can be based around the structure and sense of rules you're used to, and typing P early in life can also just be a sign of general immaturity and uncertainties about life, or even basic openmindedness which all the types have. Sometimes people think very black-and-white, sometimes they're all over the place, sometimes pretty balanced, all dependent on what it is they're dealing with. Give it some time and get a feel of what your true primary mindset is, regardless of what it is you think you have to be.
    MBTI: INFP (feeling > logic)
    Keirsey: INTP (thinking > people/ethics)
    Jung: Introverted Feeling, Extroverted Intuition
    Dual: Extroverted Thinking, Introverted Sensing
    Holland: AI (artistic > investigative)

MBTI
    intp
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx
    Post Thanks / Like

People determine their type way too often based on what they may score on a congnitve functions test, but the funny thing is, they may be, say, an INTP with higher Ni than Ti and Ne! I just don't think jung cognitive functions is that solid of a theory. I would be very interested if someone could prove me wrong.
    those function tests doesent measure jungs functions, they are called jungian functions for some stupid reason unknown, even tho those function definitions are quite far away from jungs definitions.

jungs functions rock, these wanna be jungian functions sucks balls
    "Where wisdom reigns, there is no conflict between thinking and feeling."
    — C.G. Jung

Read