User Tag List

Page 1 of 21 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Dario Nardi's Neuroscience of Personality

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    5w4

Default Dario Nardi's Neuroscience of Personality

Dario Nardi recently published a book called Neuroscience of Personality. It contains his insights based on put a 20 sensor EEG on 60 college students of various types, and then having them perform various activities.

Since it includes both qualitative and quantitive research results, it's probably not definitive proof of type or type dynamics. Still, I think his approach is interesting and his book helps shed light on how type relates to activity in the neocortex.

Neocortex Brain Regions and Skillsets:

Detail under the spoiler:

Summary:

Fp1 Chief Judge: Focus on explaining, making decisions, noting errors, and screening out distracting information.
    Fp2 Process Manager: Focus on process, either step-by-step for tasks, or open ended creative brainstorming, or both.
    F7 Imaginative Mimic: Mirror others' behavior, pick up skills by observing others, and make imaginative inferences.
    F3 Deductive Analyst: Follow a chain of logical deductions and backtrack to correct thinking due to reasoning errors.
    F4 Expert Classifier: Accurately place concepts by testing them against many categories at once to find a best-fit.
    F8 Grounded Believer: Evaluate people and activities in terms of like or dislike, and/or recall details with high accuracy.
    T3 Precise Speaker: Focus on content of the spoken word, attend to proper grammar, usage, enunciation and diction.
    C3 Factual Storekeeper: Easily memorize and execute steps of movement (dance steps, etc.), and/or recall facts.
    C4 Intuitive Listener: Focus on voice tone and other affective qualities of sound. Speak in a holistic way to influence.
    T4 Flowing Artist: Draw, paint, dance or otherwise use your body in a flowing, spontaneous, and/or artistic manner.
    T5 Sensitive Mediator: Attend to how others respond to you and later your behavior to get more desirable results.
    P3 Tactical Navigator: Integrate physical space, motion, and visual clues to move skillfully through the environment.
    P4 Strategic Gamer: Weigh many pros and cons, risks and uncertainties at once in order to finesse complex situations.
    T6 Purposeful Futurist: State what will surely happen in the future, and/or apply a symbolic meaning to a situation.
    O1 Visual Engineer: Mentally rotate, measure, arrange, assemble and explode objects with a focus on functionality.
    O2 Abstract Impressionist: Notice holistic themes, patterns, and relationships in photos, paintings, and similar images.

Functions and Neocortex Activity:

Based on Nardi's experiences, he would classify the strength of each functions as:

Se: Act quickly and smoothly to handle whatever comes up in the moment.
    Si: Review and practice in order to specialize and meet group needs.
    Ne: Perceive and play with patterns of relationships across contexts.
    Ni: Draw upon to whole brain to realize an answer to a novel problem.
    Te: Manager resources efficiently to quickly decide based on evidence.
    Ti: Reason multiple ways to objectively and accurately analyze problems.
    Fe: Evaluate and communicate values to enhance social relationships.
    Fi: Listen with your whole self to locate and support what's important.

Overall, I found the book very interesting (including much of the material not summarized above). Perhaps the biggest takeaway for me was even though types did correlate to usage levels of various brain regions, one of the biggest surprises was how different types tended to use whole-brain states. Different types using different whole-brain techniques I found interesting.

It's also fun to look at Nardio's summation of the function of the various brain regions, and compare oneself to the sample he gives of one's type (more on that later). Nardi did find that members of the same type tended to use the same brain regions (even separate from whole-brain states).
    Last edited by Seymour; 09-01-2011 at 08:48 PM.

old man cardigan party Array Marmotini's Avatar
    MBTI
    Fi
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx/so
    Socionics
    SEE

I do T4 a lot (in terms of dancing, yes but in the aesthetic memory/beauty thing like constantly) but tend to want to capture it in words...which would be T3, which is doubly strange since some people don't even really use T3 and T4 is totally non-verbal.

That's pretty much the process of some of my creative writing, like I really, really want to capture moments, like "being there" in words. I would think this would be common in some poets and certain kinds of novelists as well as visual artistry or dancing.

I'd be fascinated to learn more about this.
    http://www.picresize.com/images/rsz_enhanced-buzz-25239-1368217216-7.jpg

The Zen of Moving in Stereo

Hoary Marmot: Has shrill whistle. Usually heard before seen.

SEE-Fi /Gamma

old man cardigan party Array Marmotini's Avatar
    MBTI
    Fi
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx/so
    Socionics
    SEE

Scary accurate.

I don't want to ruin it for anyone else.
    http://www.picresize.com/images/rsz_enhanced-buzz-25239-1368217216-7.jpg

The Zen of Moving in Stereo

Hoary Marmot: Has shrill whistle. Usually heard before seen.

SEE-Fi /Gamma

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram

Amazing. I had no idea this was being researched!

Haven't read it all through (yet...naturally I just went right to the Ti stuff), but I noticed that so far this does not appear to support Lennore Thomson's theory that Pi and Je functions (and therefore J types) are primarily "left-brained", and Ji and Pe functions (and therefore P types) are primarily "right-brained". Of the functions that seem to be associated with certain areas, it looks like they tend to be distributed on both sides.

Tier 1 Member Array LunaLuminosity's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w6 so/sp
    Socionics
    ILE

This is very cool..... I remember reading this perhaps in an earlier stage in another thread but I've lost where it is. I'd like to see where this goes and whether it really can link something so easily physically measurable to the individual weirdness that is personality preferences.

Yeah, the whole right and left brain thing isn't looking too good right now. The only one that seems to have a sidedness is the Te type (mostly left-brained). Fe might have a slight left tilt. Si, Ti, Fi are more or less mirrored across the hemispheres. And Se, Ne, and Ni are literally all over the place....

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    5w4

Quote Originally Posted by blankpages View Post
    Amazing. I had no idea this was being researched!

Haven't read it all through (yet...naturally I just went right to the Ti stuff), but I noticed that so far this does not appear to support Lennore Thomson's theory that Pi and Je functions (and therefore J types) are primarily "left-brained", and Ji and Pe functions (and therefore P types) are primarily "right-brained". Of the functions that seem to be associated with certain areas, it looks like they tend to be distributed on both sides.
    Well, describing people as "left brain/right brain" is pretty crude. Nardi does include a weighted chart of an individual of each type (who is presumably fairly characteristic of his or her type). If you squint at those, you can kind of make a vague case that J's are, on the whole, more "left brain." In fact, it's very striking how "left brain" the ESTJ and ESFJ charts look, for example. Conversely, the FPs look the most "right brain" (if not as clearly as the ESxJs look "left brain"). The others are less clear. Fe looks left-brain-ish. Ni doesn't seem to have a clear pattern (even though T6 on the right sounds perfect for some aspects of Ni), and while F7 (left side) seems favored by Ne, plenty of other types favor it, too. Si seems a lot about specialization, so seems difficult to make a left/right brain call... although it does seem strongly associated with T5 (on the left). Se seems kind of all over the place (typical!).

So, Thomson's characterizations (which were based on Niednagel's claim) seem sometimes correct-ish if you squint. Nardi does say that the Ni Zen-like state works best one problem at a time, while for Ne the Christmas tree pattern is all over the map producing associations. That makes the Thomson's left-brain/right-brain assignments understandable, since she was basing on Ni's "one problem at a time" nature, vs Ne's fire hose of associations.

I think the most surprising and interesting part of Nardi's claims is the whole brain strategies that seem to be characteristic of various functions. So, for example, Te is not only about efficiency, but it helps quickly make decisions with a minimal amount of energy expended. Conversely, Ne not only produces all kinds of associations (right and wrong), it's also extremely energy intensive. Kind of brings a meta-dimension to the idea of brain specialization.

Tempbanned Array
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/so

Thanks for sharing this information, Seymour.

I really like Nardi; he's doing some interesting things.

Excellent write-up, as well. Did you do that all yourself?

A couple things I found very interesting:

1. Introverted Thinking (Ti)

Now there's proof!

2. Introverted Intuition (Ni)

What was that from the non-Ni users about the whole Ni association with mysticism being a crock?

Found this recent lecture given by Nardi at GoogleTalks.

[YOUTUBE="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MGfhQTbcqmA"].[/YOUTUBE]

MBTI
    intp
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx

Blah i expected more from him, this is what i have gathered on functions of brain regions from some earlier studies(wrote these few months ago):

its pretty obvious how jungian functions place on these areas for the most part. some of the things in his study contradict common sense and some earlier smaller studies. like he doesent link f5 to Fe, wtf. i think he had too small study group or something, i mean 60 people and 16 types isnt all that much.
    "Where wisdom reigns, there is no conflict between thinking and feeling."
    — C.G. Jung

Read

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    5w4

Quote Originally Posted by Zarathustra View Post
    Thanks for sharing this information, Seymour.

I really like Nardi; he's doing some interesting things.

Excellent write-up, as well. Did you do that all yourself?
    What I posted is mostly quotes, Nardi's bullet points, misc. paraphrasing and some other notes. There's lots of other material in the book, so I hope people that are interested will buy it.
    A couple things I found very interesting:

1. Introverted Thinking (Ti)

Now there's proof!
    That one cracked me up, too. It does explain a few work frustrations.
    [...]Found this recent lecture given by Nardi at GoogleTalks.
    Very cool! Thanks for posting that lecture.

Quote Originally Posted by INTP View Post
    Blah i expected more from him, this is what i have gathered on functions of brain regions from some earlier studies(wrote these few months ago):

its pretty obvious how jungian functions place on these areas for the most part. some of the things in his study contradict common sense and some earlier smaller studies. like he doesent link f5 to Fe, wtf. i think he had too small study group or something, i mean 60 people and 16 types isnt all that much.
    It's entirely possible that his pool was too small or skewed in some way... yet things that seem obvious are not always true. He does address the size of his study... I'll see if I can find the quote when I get home. I had similar expectations, though: that Fe would be uniquely associated with strong T5 usage, Ni with strong T6, Fi with F8, etc.
    Last edited by Seymour; 09-08-2011 at 12:48 AM.

MBTI
    intp
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx

I watched the google talk and lucky for me, he left out some things from his studies that i find quite essential(i was planning of doing similar stuff in the future), some that have already been studied and could be used on his model and some which would just make sense to measure if you know jung more than function definitions defined in some MBTI book
    "Where wisdom reigns, there is no conflict between thinking and feeling."
    — C.G. Jung

Read