• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

New Yorkers are neurotic and unfriendly, says Cambridge University 'personality map'

curiousel

What do you think about this article

"Researchers created the first ever map of its kind is based on the results of a six year online survey of 620,000 people.

They claim it reveals how certain types of people are more likely to live and flourish in different parts of the country and showed links between personality traits and social phenomenon, like crime rates."

Do you agree on the findings?
Why?

chickpea

perfect person
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
i wonder why people in south dakota aren't as extroverted and agreeable as people from north dakota

Lily flower

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
We have noticed since moving down south that the people here are a lot more extroverted and open. A friend told me that in general warm countries/areas are more extroverted and friendly and people in cold countries are more introverted and closed.

I can't stand the culture down here, though. It's all testosterone, sports are equal to God, killing animals and owning big trucks. Everything that I despise.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
Does this really come as a shock to anyone? This is news?

Kyrielle

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
We have noticed since moving down south that the people here are a lot more extroverted and open. A friend told me that in general warm countries/areas are more extroverted and friendly and people in cold countries are more introverted and closed.

I can't stand the culture down here, though. It's all testosterone, sports are equal to God, killing animals and owning big trucks. Everything that I despise.

You'll get used to it. If you live in the more metropolitan areas, you see fewer rednecks and more educated Southerners. The urbanized Southern folk have a nice mix of loving sports and trucks with loving books and a nice discussion. And the rednecks aren't so bad. Once they respect/know you, they'll look out for you in their own way. But yes, I would have to agree that there are an inordinate number of trucks here, in Atlanta at at least. A lot of the proud truck-lovin' men are trading those trucks in for cars with better gas mileage, though.

Anyway, none of this is very much of a surprise. It's pretty well established that the northern states tend to be more withdrawn, western states more open, southern states more hospitable, and cities move faster and more impersonally.

DiscoBiscuit

Meat Tornado
Enneagram
8w9
I can't stand the culture down here, though. It's all testosterone, sports are equal to God, killing animals and owning big trucks.

I miss all those things thank you very much.

Although I will admit to preferring gentile Southern culture to the more low brow stuff.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
The thread title and the name of the article are actually the least relevant parts. Read the article itself, it's nifty.

NO, that's what I'm saying. Nothing that they said is earth-shattering. Liberal tolerant people are more likely to live in California, Oregon, Washington, and other coastal places? ORLY? People from North Carolina and Georgia are nice and accepting? ORLY? People in South and Midwest are less open but friendlier? YOU DON'T SAY.

Fuck me. This is why *HATE* the big five. It takes what should be obvious to an idiot or a child and makes it like a big scientific breakthrough.

Such Irony

Honor Thy Inferior
MBTI Type
INtp
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I'm surprised Minnesota is in the top ten for extraversion. I see it as a more quietly friendly state. I'm not surprised its in the top ten for agreeableness but extraversion? I guess it depends on what part of the state it is. Minneapolis is probably more extraverted than the prairieland or the northern portion of the state.

Alot of the states surprised me with their rankings. It makes me wonder what sort of sample size they used in this poll.

Atomic Fiend

NO, that's what I'm saying. Nothing that they said is earth-shattering. Liberal tolerant people are more likely to live in California, Oregon, Washington, and other coastal places? ORLY? People from North Carolina and Georgia are nice and accepting? ORLY? People in South and Midwest are less open but friendlier? YOU DON'T SAY.

Fuck me. This is why *HATE* the big five. It takes what should be obvious to an idiot or a child and makes it like a big scientific breakthrough.
Not all news needs to be earth shattering, just informative. What's obvious to some clearly isn't to everyone else, and even for those it is obvious for, it's nice to have something to cite when using the information. Something that says "See told ya it wasn't just me. Now give me your panties, a bets a bet."

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
Not all news needs to be earth shattering, just informative. What's obvious to some clearly isn't to everyone else, and even for those it is obvious for, it's nice to have something to cite when using the information. Something that says "See told ya it wasn't just me. Now give me your panties, a bets a bet."

Okay...I can see this...especially since some people are so dependent on "authority" for "real information" that they can't accept it if it comes across as "common sense."

Then the people with common sense can say I told you so.