User Tag List

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What percentage of the population is introverted?

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp

Default What percentage of the population is introverted?

I've seen different things:

Just under half
    About 35%
    "a minority in the regular population but a majority in the gifted population."

Any thoughts on what statistics are the most reliable?

Please provide feedback on my Nohari and Johari Window by clicking here: Nohari/Johari

Tri-type 639

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTj

nah, about half
    ENTj 7-3-8 sx/sp

Minister of Propagandhi Array ajblaise's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP

I'm going with 25%. And I'm pretty reliable.

50.9% according to the National sample figures in the MBTI Manual
    "Study hard what interests you the most in the most undisciplined, irreverent and original manner possible."
    — Richard P. Feynman

"Never tell a person a thing is impossible. G*d/the Universe may have been waiting all this time for someone ignorant enough of the impossibility to do just that thing."
    author unknown

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by InsatiableCuriosity View Post
    50.9% according to the National sample figures in the MBTI Manual
    That's interesting. The MBTI Manual states the majority of the population are introverts.

How could these things be so far apart?

I've had similar questions over the years on the % of various types - why the ranges or numbers are so different in different places.

Please provide feedback on my Nohari and Johari Window by clicking here: Nohari/Johari

Tri-type 639

Banned Array
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6w5

Please Understand Me Claims it's about 50/50.

ReflecTcelfeR

If anything I'd say they have at least a slight majority over extraverts.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 so/sx
    Socionics
    EII Ne

i'm curious too, but i think it's really hard to know because

1) testing figures may very well be biased (introverts and intuitives generally being slightly more inclined to individually be into something like the MBTI; even any place which randomly tests a larger population may have been self-selected to some degree by what kind of place it is)

2) not everyone even knows their correct orientation. sometimes it's hard to differentiate between the two. not to mention that cultures on a whole demonstrate introversion and extraversion to different degrees. in the states, to all accounts, i'm an introvert, but i'm not, functionally. interestingly i do think that's been more evident in other countries where i've lived.

i guess a decen way to get a somewhat accurate figure would be to take mass amounts of tests across types of workplaces and cultures and run statistical testing on them... but that assumes most cultures even know about the MBTI...

Paragon Gone Wrong Array OrangeAppled's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx
    Socionics
    INFp Ni

Aren't introversion and extroversion often viewed as more of a scale than two distinct categories? In that case, I think most people probably land around the middle somewhere and will seem extroverted to a more extreme introvert.

There are different ways people define E & I though, and based on Jung's definition, it seems to me that true introverts are the minority. I think when people think of an extrovert, they think of the extreme version, and so they cannot see themselves in it. I wonder how many people who test I are highly introverted or actually near the middle mark...
    "I am certain of nothing but of the holiness of the Heart's affections and the truth of Imagination - What the imagination seizes as Beauty must be truth - whether it existed before or not - for I have the same idea of all our passions as of love: they are all, in their sublime, creative of essential beauty." - Keats
    INFP | 4w5 sp/sx - 451| RLUEI - Primary Inquisitive

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by OrangeAppled View Post
    Aren't introversion and extroversion often viewed as more of a scale than two distinct categories? In that case, I think most people probably land around the middle somewhere and will seem extroverted to a more extreme introvert.

There are different ways people define E & I though, and based on Jung's definition, it seems to me that true introverts are the minority. I think when people think of an extrovert, they think of the extreme version, and so they cannot see themselves in it. I wonder how many people who test I are highly introverted or actually near the middle mark...
    Good point. I guess I was just thinking of somebody whose dominant function is introverted or who comes up as an I on an MBTI assessment.

Tri-type 639