INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx
    Socionics
    INFp Ni

Quote Originally Posted by Psychdigg View Post
    Orange Appled:

You said:

Sheldon’s somatotype theory both identifies and measures the big systems of the human body. He spent a lifetime looking directly at what is hiding in plain sight. He classifies the very thing we overlook and take for granted - the human body. Look at the connection endomorphy, mesomorphy and ectomorphy have with the big functions of a living organism.

Endomorphy = Visceral System. An animal needs to eat. There is no life at all without the “big” tube (intestines). Living things must have a metabolism or there is nothing.

Mesomorphy = Muscular System. An animal needs to move. It needs to move toward food and away from danger.

Ectomorphy = Nervous System. An animal needs coordinated and rapid movement to capture food and escape danger. The nervous system is an emergency system. It records routines and strategies that can be quickly initiated when needed. It deals with things that suddenly come into view.

It shouldn’t be too hard to imagine that if a person is structured with an emphasis on the gut, this will have the effect of conditioning a person to be interested in food, and the comfort of feeling full and a desire to arrange a comfortable and relaxing environment conducive to carrying out the work of digestion. If a person is structured with a strong muscular body, wouldn’t you expect that those muscles would want to move and facilitate activity and gain proficiency at dominating their world? A stretched out, lean ectomorph, with a high surface to volume ratio could be expected to be vigilant about protecting that boundary/surface area.
    I don't see what that has to do with cognitive function still. How does being an endomorph make you more likely to be a Feeling type? Feeling has nothing to do with interest in food, and interest in food does not correlate to body type. Again, that's simply a stereotype.
    "I am certain of nothing but of the holiness of the Heart's affections and the truth of Imagination - What the imagination seizes as Beauty must be truth - whether it existed before or not - for I have the same idea of all our passions as of love: they are all, in their sublime, creative of essential beauty." - Keats
    INFP | 4w5 sp/sx - 451| RLUEI - Primary Inquisitive

Junior Member Array VictorClimacus's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4x3
    Socionics
    IEI

I tend to associate Sensing and especially SJ types with Mesomorphic traits. ES types seem to be disproportionately Endomorphic. The chart makes intuitive sense, but, as an INFP, I am not sure I fit so well. At 6'4'', 175 lbs, I am definitely an ectomorph and have always had long thin limbs and very little body fat. I often am mistaken for someone who is athletically inclined, which is not true, probably more on account of how my brain works than how my body functions.

Throughout grade school and high school, it always seemed that the best athletes were ST types. But their bodies seemed to be as athletically-inclined independently of their mental characteristics. Not only were their interests and behaviors kinesthetically-focused, but they also had stronger bones, tighter muscles, and broader shoulders than the rest of us. It all seemed like one great self-fulfilling prophecy.

old man cardigan party Array Marmotini's Avatar
    MBTI
    Fi
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx/so
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by Vamp View Post
    I don't agree with the weight body typing. Body type is more about how your body is made, your build, your muscle, your fat and how easily you put on muscle or fat. Someone who is mostly lean with a thin frame is ecto. Someone who is neither thin nor heavy and finds it easy to shape up is meso. Someone who easily gains fat and easily gains muscle often at the same time is endo.
    Yep, Psychdigg is wrong. I read up about this on another site, and weight gain or loss does not indicate body type. Endos can be relatively slim, but have a hard time building muscle, and usually have to work harder to not gain weight. Mesos have the muscular, stocky build, even if they put on a layer of fat over it. Ectos are usually thin because they have a hard time putting on weight, but of course people can put on weight as they age, especially if their habits are bad.

Then there are blends, like I'm probably a Meso-Endo, not a pure Meso, and not a pure Endo.
    http://www.picresize.com/images/rsz_enhanced-buzz-25239-1368217216-7.jpg

The Zen of Moving in Stereo

Hoary Marmot: Has shrill whistle. Usually heard before seen.

SEE-Fi /Gamma

MBTI
    INXJ
    Enneagram
    5w6

Quote Originally Posted by marmalade.sunrise View Post
    Yep, Psychdigg is wrong. I read up about this on another site, and weight gain or loss does not indicate body type. Endos can be relatively slim, but have a hard time building muscle, and usually have to work harder to not gain weight. Mesos have the muscular, stocky build, even if they put on a layer of fat over it. Ectos are usually thin because they have a hard time putting on weight, but of course people can put on weight as they age, especially if their habits are bad.

Then there are blends, like I'm probably a Meso-Endo, not a pure Meso, and not a pure Endo.
    I thought Endomorphs actually gained muscle about as well as they gain fat? I think that makes sense, logically, since they have a heavier frame and as such, need more muscle to support it. Hence why somaotype centric information tells endomorphs to focus on losing weight rather than trying to bulk up.
    Johari/Nohari wall! Thanks in advance for filling it out.

"Taste. I have no taste. I don't like these tiny portions or your artful abortions of sound, sealed with a kiss, slathered in the sauce sarcastic. So go choke on your irony"
    ~
    "Life for you, has been less than kind
    So take a number, stand in line
    We've all been sorry, we've all been hurt
    But how we survive, is what makes us who we are"

I'm meso tilting towards the endo side so I guess the image in the first post is kind of accurate for me.

old man cardigan party Array Marmotini's Avatar
    MBTI
    Fi
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx/so
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by Serge View Post
    I thought Endomorphs actually gained muscle about as well as they gain fat? I think that makes sense, logically, since they have a heavier frame and as such, need more muscle to support it. Hence why somaotype centric information tells endomorphs to focus on losing weight rather than trying to bulk up.
    But Mesos are, like, born with muscle. Pure Mesos don't even have to work out that much to look muscular...I've met a pure Meso who was laughing about how he never had to lift weights but still had these manly, muscled arms.

I have Meso traits because my legs are easily muscular, like they just are, and when I run they just get more defined. I've always been inclined to be somewhat active, I have big "cheerleader" calves, slim ankles, and I don't put on weight in my thighs unless I just really chunk up and there's no where else for it to go. However, I can't be a pure Meso because I'm not super-duper athletic, and I'm quite large busted and soft looking to a degree.

Endos, on the other hand, may build muscle, but not as easily as a Meso, it doesn't just happen to them without them thinking about it, and they do have to work harder to get definition.

Just like an Ecto can look muscular and defined because of very low body fat percentage, but they have a more difficult time "bulking up" with muscle, even if they have the definition.
    http://www.picresize.com/images/rsz_enhanced-buzz-25239-1368217216-7.jpg

The Zen of Moving in Stereo

Hoary Marmot: Has shrill whistle. Usually heard before seen.

SEE-Fi /Gamma

Orange-Appled:

I don't see what that has to do with cognitive function still. How does being an endomorph make you more likely to be a Feeling type? Feeling has nothing to do with interest in food, and interest in food does not correlate to body type. Again, that's simply a stereotype.
    Psychology, under the influence of the "mind-body" split tends to make the mistake of ignoring the body. Our brain (cognitive functions) is just another part of our body. You can't say that everything about our personality is in our brain. Behaviorism made the mistake of explaining behavior almost exclusively with environmental causes. In the process they too ignored the body itself. Your brain is in your body and is under the influence of the bodies constitution.

My use of the expression "interest in food" is not semantically correct. Everyone is interested in food, right? Ectomorphs may be interested in fashionable food, the aesthetics of presentation etc. Mesomorphs may be "interested" in food they can aggressively sink their teeth into like a great big 2 pound stead that they can chew away at. Endomorphs are more concerned with "feeling full". They will eat anything to get that full filling. Comfort is their objective. An empty stomach is uncomfortable and they tend to feel the emptiness a little more than a compact skinny ectomorph. Endomorphs crave lots of carbs, breads, sugars etc. There have been studies on chronically obese people and they really hit the "comfort foods".

Language and word usage doesn't fall out of the sky. It emerges from our biology.

Here is a simple test:

Which body system is usually associated with feeling. Pick one.

a. I have a brain feeling that we're not going to get along.

b. I have a muscle feeling that we're not going to get along.

c. I have a gut feeling that we're not going to get along.

This is not a trivial point.
    “Sheldon considers human beings as they really are - psycho-physical wholes.”

“the first serious advance of the science of man since Aristotle”

“For the first time the old insights and intuitions about the different kinds of human beings have been clarified and put on a firmly objective and measurable basis.”
    ___“Aldous Huxley/ A Biography” Sybille Bedford, 1974

Muscle. Kind of get unease in my neck, shoulders.. chest/heart area even. I think.

I'm definitely not a "aggressive", "big steak" kind of guy though. I don't even eat that much at once. I eat quick, and get full quick.

Senior Member Array ColonelGadaafi's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    Si
    Socionics
    ESTP

But your not making any sense here Psychdigg. You cannot seriously back up anything that you've suggested.

For example correlating our body shape with our personality does not make any sense. How on earth can you define a biological *direct*biological relationship between two very different things, like fat-disposition, skeletal structure with the personality that is directly a property of having a brain. It's a fallacy, you fail to prove your premise by not providing any evidence for direct causitive or correlative factors.

It's like saying, "Hey, man that lampost out there is the cause of the dent on my roof".
    "Where can you flee? What road will you use to escape us? Our horses are swift, our arrows sharp, our swords like thunderbolts, our hearts as hard as the mountains, our soldiers as numerous as the sand. Fortresses will not detain us, nor arms stop us. Your prayers to God will not avail against us. We are not moved by tears nor touched by lamentations."

That doesn't make any sense Psydigg.

If you eat something that's high in fat or protein you eat less while feeling fuller. So, if an endomorph craves feeling full, they'd go for fat and not carbs. Carbs are shit at making you feel full.

By that logic, I guess I'm an endomorph. I make sure to eat things that I can eat very little of that makes me feel full so I only have to eat lunch and a snack at 8PM without thinking about food the rest of the day.
    -Carefully taking sips from the Fire Hose of Knowledge