• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Feeling like opposites. ISFP and INTP

Polinares

MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Me (female ISFP) and my INTP boyfriend have been together for a little less than a year. Yet some issues regarding our different personalities seem to never stop clashing, i.e.:

• his need for an enormous amount of alone time. I'm pretty independent but compared to him I feel as clingy as ivy, with me working an "I miss you" after half a week of not seeing each other and him starting to miss me after at least 10 days
  • my way of needing more communication when distant (that is 5 days a week, more if something comes up in the weekend)
  • Me not being too assertive or vocal about things that bother me (I've stopped complaining after he told me I was smothering him at first) while he can be brutally honest easily
.. And some more things. Now reading what I wrote I'd give myself the advice of breaking it off and not look back, cause like this it does seem his emotional coldness is too much for me to take, although we have both learnt to cope with each other's weaknesses. But we can also be very happy together (in person it's always better than when distant) and he's often said these are issues that don't have to do with me but with him being a strongly independent introvert. I'm '"borderline" introvert, as in I enjoy alone time 51% of the times.
He's shown me in many ways he cares about me, and I trust him very much. Meaning that I have no doubts that if he thought he was done with me he'd tell me. But what I do question is if a relationship between such different individuals can be good for me. Anyone else has similar experiences?

Last edited:
I'm an introvert who does require a 50% alone time ratio mainly to process things which is impossible to do in a meaningful deep way if I'm too distracted and I get distracted easily. However with a SO I'm definitely more affectionate than with anyone else and I mean in terms of emotionality not just the obvious physical closeness. There's an entire part of me reserved for that person alone.

I obviously don't know either of you but I'd think it may be harder for him to express more to you than he is being a thinker. Being an intuitive might make him apt to wander in his mind about possibilities and that might add distance between you two even when you spend time together.

You have to ask yourself if you can live with that. Can you live with his traits knowing they're unlikely to change? Balance the pros and cons in your head. If you can discuss it with him in a manner that isn't excessively emotional (I'm not saying you're too emotional but if he's a thinker a less emotional more rational layout of the issue may be more easily processed by him) and tell him your concerns it might help. Of course he'll probably vanish to sort through the information. I'm not sure if anything I've said is helpful but I hope so. Good luck!

Polinares

MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I obviously don't know either of you but I'd think it may be harder for him to express more to you than he is being a thinker. Being an intuitive might make him apt to wander in his mind about possibilities and that might add distance between you two even when you spend time together.

This is so spot on!

As an ISFP, I tend to live in the moment and, turning out a "peacemaker" type (-.-), tend to avoid conflicts.. thus our happy moments (many) shadow the few not quite right ones, for me.
He overanalyzes them instead. Not by like making them huge, but rather by projecting them into the future and coming up with solutions to problems I don't even see as problems yet.

Ugh, ths sound so complicated..

This is so spot on!

As an ISFP, I tend to live in the moment and, turning out a "peacemaker" type (-.-), tend to avoid conflicts.. thus our happy moments (many) shadow the few not quite right ones, for me.
He overanalyzes them instead. Not by like making them huge, but rather by projecting them into the future and coming up with solutions to problems I don't even see as problems yet.

Ugh, ths sound so complicated..

Well I'm an intuitive who leans towards thinking even though I'm more feeling overall. Being in the present can be a challenge. Someone needs to grab my feet and yank my head out of the clouds frequently. It's definitely tough to keep us in the moment.

A thinker is definitely going to process what you say and do but quite possibly misinterpret it because he's attempting to rationalize emotions. You might even see the steam coming out his ears while he tries!

Seriously though it can be hard to get me out of my shell. He might be tempted to go into hermit mode. Very difficult to get me out of it. I get comfortable and don't wish to budge. Again if someone just can tug me out of it I might grumble at first but I'll quickly appreciate the effort. Not sure if that'll work with your INTP. Hopefully you can get an INTP guy or two in this thread to explain that particular mindset.

Obfuscate

Permabanned
MBTI Type
iNtP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
gross! emotions are sticky! *wink*...

how much time do you spend together? has the volume fluctuated significantly?

i note you that you feel unable to express your emotions to him... do you think (as i do) that something about either the presentation, escalation, or application of your feelings at that time brought that response? when strong emotions are at play (in particular negative ones), i withdraw if i feel i am being targeted... perhaps it is worth examining how you present, and not just what...

prolonged absence is different for me (an intp), than it is for most people i meet... everything freeze frames the way i left things...i guess if they ended on a particularly foul note, i may spend time analyzing it... in any case, i am always a bit frustrated when people don't accept that my feelings are stable, and don't need to be verbally reaffirmed as proof of their consistency... i doubt that he doesn't miss you at all for ten days... perhaps that is merely his level of tolerance...

to be honest, you aren't giving much information concerning his viewpoint...

Polinares

MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
we usually spend together 2 days a week, during the weekend (me at his place or him at mine). The amount hasn't changed and although I'd like something more spontaneous more often that's pretty undoable cause we live 1 hour apart and both work pretty much.
I agree with you that he can probably put stuff on "freeze" (I do too.. with friends. For like few days).
I think I became wary of bringing up negative feelings after he told me he needed a bit more space. This happened after I became (objectively) clingy when I started seeing this pattern of him getting into his cave when very absorbed and stressed with work. Now I have actual problems at expressing my concerns in fear of bringing up that situation again.
His viewpoint is things are going good but he's always looking for improvement. Which can be seen both as a good and bad thing. (I know this is pretty generic; if youhave specific viewpoints of his that you feel are missing, do ask! :))

Trash Panda

Retired
If you feel like you aren't getting what you need in the relationship and compromise is off the table find someone else.

I would not want to be in a relationship with someone who was unable to fulfill my emotional needs.

Obfuscate

Permabanned
MBTI Type
iNtP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
we usually spend together 2 days a week, during the weekend (me at his place or him at mine). The amount hasn't changed and although I'd like something more spontaneous more often that's pretty undoable cause we live 1 hour apart and both work pretty much.
I agree with you that he can probably put stuff on "freeze" (I do too.. with friends. For like few days).
I think I became wary of bringing up negative feelings after he told me he needed a bit more space. This happened after I became (objectively) clingy when I started seeing this pattern of him getting into his cave when very absorbed and stressed with work. Now I have actual problems at expressing my concerns in fear of bringing up that situation again.
His viewpoint is things are going good but he's always looking for improvement. Which can be seen both as a good and bad thing. (I know this is pretty generic; if youhave specific viewpoints of his that you feel are missing, do ask! :))

this sounds like a communication problem more than anything else... i would try to organize your concerns and let him know that you would like him to think of ways to compromise...maybe let him go first to decrease the likelyhood of withdrawal from the situation... i still don't feel i have a clear picture of what he thinks of any of this, but the approach above is a good catchall approach... bringing the problems up and giving him time to consider is good... a deadline to consider by is bad... focus the conversation on solutions instead of blame and do your best to make sure he has finished making a point before pressing forward... i mention the last part because i have had experiences with isfp that were so busy being heard they never heard themselves (when emotion was involved); it isn't meant to be presumptuous...

Polinares

MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
the thing is I don't have a clear picture either. He can be very sweet but if things are keeping him (pre)occupied he goes into robot mode. And he's allergic to say anything he doesn't mean, so where another man would "lie" and say "yeah I missed you too" or "I'm thinking about you" out of niceness to keep things smooth, he wouldn't and just say "I have been busy; I feel like I just saw you; I haven't had a chance to miss you yet". I'm actually pretty fine with that, but just to give you an example.
The only thing I've seen works to get him out of the cave on his own (not me poking him) is me being busy as well. Which is ok, but I would like to be able to just have a easy communication without playing hard to catch.
I have never given deadlines, but I do tend to be emotional about issues rather than logical. And yes, what you said is true, I go fast forward while he pauses. It's just so difficult understanding how complicated something emotional can be for him, while with other isfps they'd think "duh!!"

Obfuscate

Permabanned
MBTI Type
iNtP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
the thing is I don't have a clear picture either.

maybe work on that and not fast forwarding (a joint problem?)... i bet you will have a more clear understanding of how you wish to proceed afterwords...

post script:

if he is still talking he is still attempting to communicate... if you cut him off during that process, chances are he thinks you don't want to listen... sabotaging communication and then acting puzzled drives me batty with partners... maybe he doesn't react the way i do? i know i just get tired of trying and shut up... i often adopt a"fuck it let 'em talk" approach to those scenarios...

The Cat

Just a Cat who hangs out at the Crossroads
Staff member
Time and patience, and a bit of understanding will go a long way to opening up lines of communication. I often end up being the talker with the INTP's in my life, but they seem to prefer it that way, until they have something to say on the subject, and it's always worth the wait... That being said it does seem y'all are happy, so I'll leave you with the following...^_^ For your viewing pleasure...

Polinares

MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Hello again. same story, same guy, related issues.

So things keep going, mostly good, although his behavior hasn't changed much. let's say I adapted more.
now lately there has been an issue that really threw me off.

my bf has been sick for about 3 weeks. during these 3 weeks I have seen him once.
now I've tried being supportive and he's been mostly ok with that, but he does have a bad history with hospitals and in general he wants to be alone when sick, and he doesn't like too much to be reminded of his condition but rather prefers to be told something interesting unrelated. I find hard both leaving him alone and doing this "distraction" thing because I'd want the total opposite if it was me.

so last days he had to go to the hospital and stayed there for 3 days, at his parents town. I asked him if I could visit and he told me he wanted to be alone. I was a bit hurt and he said if he was going to have something more serious, needing surgery, I could visit, but otherwise he'd rather be alone with parents. he also added it's not personal but he really doesn't want anyone. he has barely told his close friends he was sick.
so I believe this POV, even though I don't share it. it's still weird for me but ok.

then he also added that this wasn't the best timing to visit because while his friends and siblings know about me and have met me, his parents don't know about me.
this has quite upset me because although he hasn't met my parents either, they know about him. and I though the same about his. I didn't expect them to know every full detail but at least my existence yes.
we have now been dating for a year, and defining "bf-gf" for 6 months (but exclusive since the beginning). note that this is a difference he stresses, but to me it doesn't really make sense.
also we went 3 weeks on holiday abroad, so I am really curious about what he said about that to them.

finally I dropped the L bomb a month ago or so. imagine the reaction of an intp: feelings! what do you want me to do with them?

any comment is welcome.

Numbly Aware

I wanna fcken feel right
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Hello again. same story, same guy, related issues.

So things keep going, mostly good, although his behavior hasn't changed much. let's say I adapted more.
now lately there has been an issue that really threw me off.

my bf has been sick for about 3 weeks. during these 3 weeks I have seen him once.
now I've tried being supportive and he's been mostly ok with that, but he does have a bad history with hospitals and in general he wants to be alone when sick, and he doesn't like too much to be reminded of his condition but rather prefers to be told something interesting unrelated. I find hard both leaving him alone and doing this "distraction" thing because I'd want the total opposite if it was me.

so last days he had to go to the hospital and stayed there for 3 days, at his parents town. I asked him if I could visit and he told me he wanted to be alone. I was a bit hurt and he said if he was going to have something more serious, needing surgery, I could visit, but otherwise he'd rather be alone with parents. he also added it's not personal but he really doesn't want anyone. he has barely told his close friends he was sick.
so I believe this POV, even though I don't share it. it's still weird for me but ok.

then he also added that this wasn't the best timing to visit because while his friends and siblings know about me and have met me, his parents don't know about me.
this has quite upset me because although he hasn't met my parents either, they know about him. and I though the same about his. I didn't expect them to know every full detail but at least my existence yes.
we have now been dating for a year, and defining "bf-gf" for 6 months (but exclusive since the beginning). note that this is a difference he stresses, but to me it doesn't really make sense.
also we went 3 weeks on holiday abroad, so I am really curious about what he said about that to them.

finally I dropped the L bomb a month ago or so. imagine the reaction of an intp: feelings! what do you want me to do with them?

any comment is welcome.
It could be he doesn't trust his parents around you... he's most likely protecting you and himself from uncomfortable situations.

PumpkinMayCare

𝓛ιкєтнє𝓓єνi lмαу
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
Seriously, he is playing hard to get and it's neither doing you good nor your relationship. I'd just straight up tell him that. That situation seems to make you unlucky too. Also not telling his parents he has a gf? I'd definitely ask what's going on there. He disappearing so much all has a bit of a passive-aggressive taste to it. He knows you'd like to see him more, but there, off he goes into his cave to disappear anyway...
In the end, if he's not okay with doing less alone time and more relationship-time and you can't live with that situation, you're just incompatible and you have to leave. It's sad but that can happen in life. After reading what you said about how he reacted when you dropped the L-word, I must say, he doesn't seem emotionally mature enough for a relationship anyway. I mean thinker or not, a rational person would expect feelings to be a big topic in relationships, lol. On top of that, wouldn't you want someone who knows how to respond to your I love yous? I get the feeling you do.
Also I'd like to add:
Me not being too assertive or vocal about things that bother me (I've stopped complaining after he told me I was smothering him at first) while he can be brutally honest easily
Now that's an obvious double standard. When someone is doing that, it's time to make the other person aware of what's going on, because you're not being treated fairly there.

Siúil a Rúin

when the colors fade
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
[MENTION=33833]Polinares[/MENTION]
The following is a sample of two, so take it fwiw. I had a couple of decades worth of romantic relationships with INTPs and a lot of what you say resonates with my experience. I am 100% introverted, but INTPs can outdo me for emotional distance and space. I couldn't get either relationship to work, even though the friendship aspect was successful. The connection in "idea space" was good, but they just didn't need me the way I needed and it did make me feel clingy and rejected and a complete loss of self-esteem. The physical connection wasn't consistent because that wasn't where their head was at times being capable of intensely deep mental focus, being instead in theory on the computer or in a book. The reality is that I don't read or play online games that much, but rather practice instruments and spend time in nature. It turned out we didn't share the same interests and sometimes their response to my emotional/physical needs devastated me because of its directness. I respect their positive qualities, but it didn't work and nothing could be said or done to change it - there was something immovable, stubborn, absolute, at best like a rubber-band temporarily stretched, but soon reclaiming its original shape. At this point I don't think anyone really changes, so if a relationship isn't working, chances are it is stuck. There was actually only one thing I was asking for to change - one thing, and I tried absolutely everything I knew to try and nothing. People can't be something they aren't, including me.

rav3n

[MENTION=33833]Polinares[/MENTION]
The following is a sample of two, so take it fwiw. I had a couple of decades worth of romantic relationships with INTPs and a lot of what you say resonates with my experience. I am 100% introverted, but INTPs can outdo me for emotional distance and space. I couldn't get either relationship to work, even though the friendship aspect was successful. The connection in "idea space" was good, but they just didn't need me the way I needed and it did make me feel clingy and rejected and a complete loss of self-esteem. The physical connection wasn't consistent because that wasn't where their head was at times being capable of intensely deep mental focus, being instead in theory on the computer or in a book. The reality is that I don't read or play online games that much, but rather practice instruments and spend time in nature. It turned out we didn't share the same interests and sometimes their response to my emotional/physical needs devastated me because of its directness. I respect their positive qualities, but it didn't work and nothing could be said or done to change it - there was something immovable, stubborn, absolute, at best like a rubber-band temporarily stretched, but soon reclaiming its original shape. At this point I don't think anyone really changes, so if a relationship isn't working, chances are it is stuck. There was actually only one thing I was asking for to change - one thing, and I tried absolutely everything I knew to try and nothing. People can't be something they aren't, including me.
Yup, you can't move an INTP if they don't wish to change. They'll perceive it as invasive to their independence and continue doing it, regardless of how much it hurts you.

I've partnered with quite a number of INTPs and am happily married to one. My husband and I broke up a number of times, once a few years apart until something happened in his life that caused him to change the underlying reasons for what broke us up more than once in the past. He learned on his own that his perspectives were wrong, that working for an asshole was detrimental to him and that his more traditional perspective of gender roles was too rigid. I too changed in the years apart, in that I lost my allergy to marriage. With these changes on both sides without negative push from each other, we found only common ground when we reconnected so we quickly reentered a relationship, then reengaged, then married in a space of a few months.

What works well with INTPs is not to sweat the small stuff and find innovative ways to remove stress points in the relationship. A recent example was his inability to put his clothing into the laundry basket in the bathroom at night so not only is there a laundry basket in the bathroom, I bought another for the bedroom. His concession is to consistently bring the two laundry baskets into the laundry room. This happened organically without discussion.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Me (female ISFP) and my INTP boyfriend have been together for a little less than a year. Yet some issues regarding our different personalities seem to never stop clashing, i.e.:

• his need for an enormous amount of alone time. I'm pretty independent but compared to him I feel as clingy as ivy, with me working an "I miss you" after half a week of not seeing each other and him starting to miss me after at least 10 days
  • my way of needing more communication when distant (that is 5 days a week, more if something comes up in the weekend)
  • Me not being too assertive or vocal about things that bother me (I've stopped complaining after he told me I was smothering him at first) while he can be brutally honest easily
.. And some more things. Now reading what I wrote I'd give myself the advice of breaking it off and not look back, cause like this it does seem his emotional coldness is too much for me to take, although we have both learnt to cope with each other's weaknesses. But we can also be very happy together (in person it's always better than when distant) and he's often said these are issues that don't have to do with me but with him being a strongly independent introvert. I'm '"borderline" introvert, as in I enjoy alone time 51% of the times.
He's shown me in many ways he cares about me, and I trust him very much. Meaning that I have no doubts that if he thought he was done with me he'd tell me. But what I do question is if a relationship between such different individuals can be good for me. Anyone else has similar experiences?

My wife is ISFP, and although the beginning was rocky for various reasons we don't have many problems left to iron out in our relationship.