• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Terms of Endearment

INTerran

As a individual INTJ and as a general rule, how do you view/feel about terms of endearment? Are you ok with/accepting of a SO using them with you? How likely are you to use them with SOs, friends/family, and others? By terms of endearment, I am referring to words like dear, hon, darling, etc.

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
Eh. I find them to be a little irritating when overused but most of the time, I'm apathetic. I don't really use them at all, I like to call people by their name.

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Eh. I find them to be a little irritating when overused but most of the time, I'm apathetic. I don't really use them at all, I like to call people by their name.
Same here. I never use them, unless speaking to a small child whose name I don't know. E.g., if I saw a four year old apparently alone in the store, I might ask, "Sweetie, where are your grown-ups?"

I dislike being called anything but my name, and in fact, don't even like being called that because I dislike my given name. I have had a lifetime to get used to it though.

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
Same here. I never use them, unless speaking to a small child whose name I don't know. E.g., if I saw a four year old apparently alone in the store, I might ask, "Sweetie, where are your grown-ups?"

I dislike being called anything but my name, and in fact, don't even like being called that because I dislike my given name. I have had a lifetime to get used to it though.

My name isn't terribly common but not rare. My Age of Aquarius parents changed the spelling to make it unique. All that accomplished was a lifetime of correcting spelling for me. I have a very Finnish married name that apparently only other Fins can spell. Or pronounce for that matter.

Ok I probably do some baby talk to my grandson but he's 4 months old and I love that little face.

Trash Panda

Retired
I dislike when people call me "babe" or "baby" and I don't use any cutesy pet names for a SO or for anyone other than my pets. I'm more likely to refer to my nephews as "butthead" or "turd burglar" than "sweetie" or "honey". Everyone else is either their first name or "hey".

thepink-cloakedninja

Marshmallow Heart
MBTI Type
ISFJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I'm not an INTJ but I dislike people calling me "honey" or "sweetie" or something along those lines unless they're old enough to be my parent and the situation is appropriate.

I don't use them, either.

Betty Blue

Let me count the ways
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7W6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Oh goddess, I have a whole ton of them ranging from twinkle toes to baby cakes.. i generally use them on people I know but also people I work with and people generally- if I think it won't be taken as an insult, if anyone minds i'll make an effort not to do it to them, rarely does anyone ever seem offended as it's generally a default mode and I think it's picked up on as such and not as derogatory/condescending/rude. I do have an awful memory for names so it helps there.