User Tag List

123 Last

Results 1 to 10 of 90

  1. #1
    Unapologetically Curious Enthusiastic_Dreamer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    729 sp/so
    Socionics
    IEE Fi
    Posts
    1,951

    Default Communication Difficulties Between Sensors and Intuitives

    This is no Intuitive superiority thread (ugh...), and I already have my own thoughts on this, but I am interested in hearing what you guys think.

    What are some of the differences in your experience, that Sensors and Intuitives communicate or think, that opens the potential to wide miscommunication. I feel each dichotomy has its own communication challenges like between Introverts and Extroverts, Perceivers and Judgers, and of course, the more generalized you go, the less accurate you will find your results to be. But of those generalities between the S and N types, where do you personally find the most difficulty, or most frequent communication challenges? Personally, I feel this particular dichotomy is where I find the most difference in communication style between me and others, more so than between Fe and Fi (where my second place medal would hang)

    I'll throw out one to get started here. This isn't a very specific point, but I've noticed in the past that if a Sensor and Intuitive get into argument, and I happen to be within their proximity, many times, the two are saying exactly the same thing and in some cases, actually agree! But because they are thinking and communicating their ideas in vastly different ways, they think the other is arguing against their point, only because the other perspective isn't being presented in a way easily understood by the other.

    So what do you guys think? Are there any cases where you've seen miscommunication between S and N types, and more interesting to me, do you have an idea as to WHY or HOW those disagreements come about?

    Thanks!
    2w3 3w2 2w3 3w2 2w3 3w2 2w3 3w22w3 3w2 2w3 3w22w3 3w2 2w3 3w2
    Likes Peter Deadpan liked this post

  2. #2
    Active Member Poki's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    MBTI
    xSTP
    Posts
    9,367

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Enthusiastic_Dreamer View Post
    This is no Intuitive superiority thread (ugh...), and I already have my own thoughts on this, but I am interested in hearing what you guys think.

    What are some of the differences in your experience, that Sensors and Intuitives communicate or think, that opens the potential to wide miscommunication. I feel each dichotomy has its own communication challenges like between Introverts and Extroverts, Perceivers and Judgers, and of course, the more generalized you go, the less accurate you will find your results to be. But of those generalities between the S and N types, where do you personally find the most difficulty, or most frequent communication challenges? Personally, I feel this particular dichotomy is where I find the most difference in communication style between me and others, more so than between Fe and Fi (where my second place medal would hang)

    I'll throw out one to get started here. This isn't a very specific point, but I've noticed in the past that if a Sensor and Intuitive get into argument, and I happen to be within their proximity, many times, the two are saying exactly the same thing and in some cases, actually agree! But because they are thinking and communicating their ideas in vastly different ways, they think the other is arguing against their point, only because the other perspective isn't being presented in a way easily understood by the other.

    So what do you guys think? Are there any cases where you've seen miscommunication between S and N types, and more interesting to me, do you have an idea as to WHY or HOW those disagreements come about?

    Thanks!
    That example is my GF and my Son...lmao. or they are arguing 2 different points that dont even relate to each other and both maybe right about their point or both wrong about it.

    I see this as an Ne vs Si conflict.

    I frequently step in and tell them to stop, the argument is stupid and point out why. Usually stops at that point or we hit each persons point in its own argument/discussion.

    I think Ne can point out what you said because it looks outside the box...but that same outside the box creates the arguing over 2 different things that are very loosely coupled.
    Take what I say with a grain of salt, because that's all it is compared to the ocean of complexity when it comes to actions and real life.
    Likes Enthusiastic_Dreamer, geedoenfj liked this post

  3. #3
    Unapologetically Curious Enthusiastic_Dreamer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    729 sp/so
    Socionics
    IEE Fi
    Posts
    1,951

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Poki View Post
    That example is my GF and my Son...lmao. or they are arguing 2 different points that dont even relate to each other and both maybe right about their point or both wrong about it.

    I see this as an Ne vs Si conflict.

    I frequently step in and tell them to stop, the argument is stupid and point out why. Usually stops at that point or we hit each persons point in its own argument/discussion.

    I think Ne can point out what you said because it looks outside the box...but that same outside the box creates the arguing over 2 different things that are very loosely coupled.
    Oh interesting, so do you feel this particular scenario I bring up may actually be a misunderstanding between different functions altogether? Also, it would explain how I see this sort of thing SO easily when I'm not involved in the argument, however, can also run into the exact situation myself, say, with my ISFJ mom. Though, even if I do see what's happening while I'm in an argument with her, she insists she understands what I'm saying when I tell her we're really on the same side in opinion, but she doesn't. Since she then continues on arguing her same points, when I actually agree with her!
    2w3 3w2 2w3 3w2 2w3 3w2 2w3 3w22w3 3w2 2w3 3w22w3 3w2 2w3 3w2

  4. #4
    Senior Member ceecee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    8w9
    Posts
    8,145

    Default

    I'm surrounded by other N's. My husband ENFJ. Our son INTP. I do have some S friends and coworkers but it's pretty rare that I get into disagreements with them. My parents are both S's and they really are the worst. You can't talk any sense into them at all. They also act more childish the older they get so I find myself parenting them, even subconsciously. I mentally prepare for whatever stupid shit they're going to do/say way before they do it. My ENFJ often volunteers to handle them. I don't want to put that headache on him but, they like him better than me and tend to listen to him when he speaks.
    I like to rock n' roll all night and *part* of every day. I usually have errands... I can only rock from like 1-3.

  5. #5
    Rainy Day Woman MDP2525's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp
    Posts
    5,206

    Default

    I think it happens when a party doesn't "show their thinking" and assumes both are aware of the "facts". So when a different conclusion is met, each thinks the other is blatantly ignoring or discarding vital information.

    When more likely, they aren't crossing wires over the "facts" but the priority of what needs to be done about them.

    The vastness of small differences kind of thing.
    ~Live and learn from fools and from sages~




    Shameless Self-Promotion:MDP2525's Den and the Start of Motorcycle Maintenance
    Likes Enthusiastic_Dreamer, geedoenfj liked this post

  6. #6
    Active Member Poki's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    MBTI
    xSTP
    Posts
    9,367

    Default

    Me and my INTJ dad bicker alot, can become heated. We always undsrstand eacher though. We just dont always agree. Heated bicker is rare. Usually when we work together one just gets past introverted function and goes with others idea. Pretty much a lets see. Niether of us judges the other on whether it worked or not. Things dont get even close to that level.

    Me and ENFP have moments of not understanding, most are usually worked out quicker. She gets mad at me sometimes because i argue my point without letting her fully speak. When she gets it all out i have same thought, just different focus. End up a difference of angle, instead different picture. I can usually see those different angles instantly subconciously.

    I know NTJs and NFPs argue do to NTJ dismissal of detail and desire for abstraction. NTJ argues how concept works, NFP argues its not accurate.
    Take what I say with a grain of salt, because that's all it is compared to the ocean of complexity when it comes to actions and real life.
    Likes Enthusiastic_Dreamer liked this post

  7. #7
    Sugar Hiccup OrangeAppled's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEI Ni
    Posts
    7,523

    Default

    I seem to be mitigating these problems a LOT better in recent years. Like many people, when I first joined a typology community, it opened my eyes to N/S differences that has caused me problems, and I felt resentment. But having gained that awareness, I seem to deal better with it so that it's not something I consider such an obstacle anymore.

    With Se types, I just avoid getting too hypothetical (most problematic with actual Se-dominants). To make a point, it's better for me to reference something real as an illustration. I also try not to cut S types off when they get very linear and detailed, but this still internally irks me. Sometimes I do interject to get the main points & bottom line. I used to almost feel rage when SFs would get into detailed people talk (essentially gossip, but not necessarily harmful or false), but I am more patient with it.

    My whole life I have been aware that almost no one wants to hear my philosophical musings and discussion of hypothetical future developments, so the biggest complaint towards me is that I simply don't talk much (whereas online, my long-windedness is probably annoying). I am not as shy as I once was, so I mostly participate socially with quipping here & there. I am sure my communication style irritates sensing types at times, but I more often hear complaints related to being an introvert from people, and sometimes Fi via inferior Te (ie irritable or too raw). IRL, I mostly annoy people with "lack of Fe" because I am a woman and that's what's expected.

    My biggest problems with sensing types now is usually with SJ types (and usually enneagram 1s or 6s) and it's more about lifestyle. The way I live bothers them. This is not morality...it's about order and intention. I appear chaotic and inconsistent, and perhaps irresponsible. I get bad motive ascribed to me, which I don't appreciate.
    "Charlotte sometimes dreams a wall around herself. But it's always with love - So much love it looks like everything else. Charlotte Sometimes - So far away, glass sealed and pretty." - The Cure

    INFP | 4w5 sp/sx - 451| RLUEI - Primary Inquisitive

  8. #8
    Active Member Poki's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    MBTI
    xSTP
    Posts
    9,367

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MDP2525 View Post
    I think it happens when a party doesn't "show their thinking" and assumes both are aware of the "facts". So when a different conclusion is met, each thinks the other is blatantly ignoring or discarding vital information.

    When more likely, they aren't crossing wires over the "facts" but the priority of what needs to be done about them.

    The vastness of small differences kind of thing.
    Preferences and opinions confused with best way and fact respectively.
    Take what I say with a grain of salt, because that's all it is compared to the ocean of complexity when it comes to actions and real life.
    Likes MDP2525 liked this post

  9. #9

    Default

    sleep better, lower stress, distance
    To avoid criticism, do nothing, say nothing, be nothing.
    ~ Elbert Hubbard

    Music provides one of the clearest examples of a much deeper relation between mathematics and human experience.
    Likes geedoenfj liked this post

  10. #10
    BAEnima agentwashington's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    MBTI
    SiFi
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx
    Socionics
    LII Ti
    Posts
    754

    Default

    ..Hmm. This does make me wonder if I'm an N type, but I highly doubt it.

    Either way, I find it's a certain sort of openness that allows for better communication; some type of people are impossible to talk to, not because they are any mbti type, but because they're just people who aren't easy to talk to and won't consider others' viewpoints.

    This isn't limited to S / N dichotomies or functions.

    [insert rant about my intj 'roommate' here.]
    "May I call you David?” “No, you cannot. You gave me my new name. The least you can do is use it.”

    There's no love in fear. - Tool
    Likes Stargaze, Peter Deadpan liked this post

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts