• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Trying to understand ISTJ men...!!

Bee1991

Hi. I'm not sure where to post this thread but I just have a quick something to ask...

I am an INFP female and I really like this ISTJ male. We have known each other for 6 months.

I know from reading other other posts on ISTJ's that they aren't the best at written communication. I struggle to find out if he has feelings for me but I'm not the most confident person so I don't want to just ask him.

I'm going to visit the city he lives in this weekend and I messaged him a while back asking if he wanted to meet up. He replied saying he should be free and for me to let him know which day would be best for me. I replied saying the day. I haven't had a response and it's been a few weeks. I didn't ask him a specific question but I feel i can't ask him because I don't want to seem like I'm nagging him. Does he just presume we are meeting and hasn't thought to double check with me?!
Can anyone give me some advice. Sorry if this seems like a dumb question.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

magpie

Permabanned
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
"Hey, are we still meeting up?" <--- try saying that

Bee1991

Yeah was thinking I should just do that. Think after weighing I think up I'd regret it more not to reach out and ask as maybe I'm just over reacting

Tilt

MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Yeah was thinking I should just do that. Think after weighing I think up I'd regret it more not to reach out and ask as maybe I'm just over reacting

At least with my ISTJ friend, he sometimes doesn't respond because the information is already laid out in his mind. He's more likely to respond if there is a scheduling conflict.

In your friend's mind, he asked what day and you gave him a day. He probably didn't see an issue and didn't think to or forgot to confirm. All you need to do is double check.

Bee1991

Thank you! Yeah that's what I think has happened because typical me has been thinking all the reasons why I may have put him off replying. I always over think everything which sucks. Don't know if it's an INFP thing or just me

chubber

failed poetry slam career
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Barge in like an ESFP. :D

citizen cane

ornery ornithologist
MBTI Type
BIRD
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp
You could always grab him by the genitals and see what happens. Precedent has been set now saying this is something most people don't really consider a problem.

Tilt

MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Thank you! Yeah that's what I think has happened because typical me has been thinking all the reasons why I may have put him off replying. I always over think everything which sucks. Don't know if it's an INFP thing or just me

That sounds pretty normal for having a crudh or an attraction to someone in general.

Bee1991

Well I've sent a short question just checking if he is free to meet. Just curious, what are the big give away signs of ISTJ'S liking someone? I know they are more 'actions speak louder than words' people but what kind of actions? He is the first ISTJ I've properly known outside my close friends and family circle so don't know much about them

citizen cane

ornery ornithologist
MBTI Type
BIRD
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp
Well I've sent a short question just checking if he is free to meet. Just curious, what are the big give away signs of ISTJ'S liking someone? I know they are more 'actions speak louder than words' people but what kind of actions? He is the first ISTJ I've properly known outside my close friends and family circle so don't know much about them

Start slow. Maybe just focus on meeting up for now. From a presumed ISTJ, just being the one to take the initiative and say 'hey, what time/ place on day x were you thinking?' would mean a LOT.

Trust me, I'm a doctor ISTJ with ESFP best friend.

Bee1991

That's helped a lot- thanks! Just don't want to be nagging to him and put him off because I have a tendancy of talking a lot when I get nervous which is abnormal for me as an INFP!! At least I've sent it so will just wait and see what the outcome is 👍🏻

chubber

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
from the ENFP page:

The children of ENFPs generally feel loved, because the ENFP gives their children plenty of genuine warmth and support. They usually value their children as individuals, allowing them room for growth. The ENFP's enthusiasm and affection may at times seem smothering to their children. This will be especially true for children with strong Thinking or Sensing preferences, who will have a difficult time understanding the effervescence of the ENFP, and will feel at times embarassed by the ENFP's enthusiasm and tendency to display their affection publicly.

I like it.

However, the T-dom or S-dom types don't, hence why you need to just get back to business type attitude. It's going to be difficult for you since it is not something you are used to, you need to consider how this will affect you in the long run because you both are very different from each other. As long as you accept him and his requirements and he does yours in return, as well, things will work out just fine. But, beware this is not your normal way of going about your normal life, and it and will tire you out and then you need to remember not to try to change him to the way you like things.

And some more expert information available from the same website:

Bee1991

Thanks for this! Yes I've read a lot online about how hard INFP and ISTJ couples find it. That's partly why I'm being cautious but I also want to be myself but if things deepen we'll both have to work hard to make it work. It doesn't always help that we live 4hrs from each other. I'm just taking things slowly because we are friends already and I find want to ruin what we have

chubber

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
And here is another piece of information from the author(s) of the MBTI system herself:

INFPs in Love

Isabel Myers (INFP) married a man named Chief, an ISTJ and a good man. They were happy together, but according to Isabel's own type theory they weren't predicted to be perfect for each other. Later on, Myers said that if she had known about type theory, she probably wouldn't have married Chief. Hm! There is a lesson to be learned here: type is not everything, nor should it be the decisive factor in choosing your lifemate. Take it from the founder of type herself.

Bee1991

That's reassuring!! Thanks. Most of the info I've read has been showing me how I shouldn't go for ISTJ'S but every ISTJ is unique and I don't normally have feelings for men like I do with this one. I'm not one to blurt it out but I get excited every time I see him which is so unlike me. He makes me happy and I feel I can trust him and most importantly I feel I can be myself around him

Tilt

MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
from the ENFP page:

I like it.

However, the T-dom or S-dom types don't, hence why you need to just get back to business type attitude. It's going to be difficult for you since it is not something you are used to, you need to consider how this will affect you in the long run because you both are very different from each other. As long as you accept him and his requirements and he does yours in return, as well, things will work out just fine. But, beware this is not your normal way of going about your normal life, and it and will tire you out and then you need to remember not to try to change him to the way you like things.

And some more expert information available from the same website:

Word to the wise, if you are naturally more effusive, don't get too business-like or that darn inferior Ne tends to read into it. A toned-down version of the natural affect seems to work best because that tertiary Fi still seems sensitive to things that seem inauthentic. This is just my experience with ISTJs... But then again ENFJ business mode might be a bit different than INFP business mode.

Bee1991

Thank you for all your help. It's really encouraging to hear positive news instead of all the negative I read in forums about our personality types

Bee1991

I think I have my answer because there has been no reply but thank you to everyone anyway for helping me out. I have a clearer idea of the kind of person I want to be with. I know I may not be as patient as I normally am but it's hard when you ask a question and need an answer asap or other plans will take its place. I'm taking the reply as a no but I feel ok about it. Just kinda wish I had an actual written answer as it is a bit rude and I'd never dream of ignoring someone, even if I didn't want to or couldn't meet up. It's just being polite. I only had 4 days to allow a reply so maybe I'm in the wrong but hey. Just hurts being ignored and didn't think he was that kind of person.

You guys really have been great. Thank you 😊

Tilt

MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I think I have my answer because there has been no reply but thank you to everyone anyway for helping me out. I have a clearer idea of the kind of person I want to be with. I know I may not be as patient as I normally am but it's hard when you ask a question and need an answer asap or other plans will take its place. I'm taking the reply as a no but I feel ok about it. Just kinda wish I had an actual written answer as it is a bit rude and I'd never dream of ignoring someone, even if I didn't want to or couldn't meet up. It's just being polite. I only had 4 days to allow a reply so maybe I'm in the wrong but hey. Just hurts being ignored and didn't think he was that kind of person.

You guys really have been great. Thank you 😊

You are justified in feeling the way you do. My friend typically does reply within a few hours unless he's having phone issues or is on a trip. However, sometimes life just gets in the way. Sorry for the disappointment. :(