• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

What types of relationships do you have with different types?

vannawilde

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
ENTP: I adore ENTP's. Their Ne running free with mine is always a sight to see. I can just connect to them, all my outlandish theories and ideas are just picked up so quickly by them. They just GET me; unless we are talking about feelings, that's where things tend to get messy. (why do I need a REASON to be feeling that way? just let me feel it god damnit.) My dad is an ENTP and we have always had a very strange connection, full of adventure and mental sparring. I credit his parenting for making me the open minded, free spirit that I am.

ISFP: I seem to be surrounded by ISFP's. Excluding my mother, all the relationships I have with them tend to be very fun, light and very loving. Leave me alone with an ISFP and you can bet within the hour we are going to be aboard the Bad Decision Trainâ„¢ and having the time of our lives all the while.

INTJ: I also seem to be surrounded by these beautiful bastards. I have a very soft spot for INTJ's. One of my sisters, who also happens to be my best friend in the entire world is an INTJ. Together we are an unstoppable, explosive force. There's always a special type of flow between me and this type. In saying this; I don't believe I could date an INTJ, for me they are best suited to being my friends.

INFP: I get along well with INFP's but seem to tire of them very quickly. If I am spending time with INFP friends, we are usually doing something very *aesthetic* like walking on the beach during the sunset or doing something artsy. I can't seem to cope with their tendency to take some of my behaviors as rude or mean, I am very loud and like to debate and throw ideas around; this seems to unsettle a lot of the INFP's I know. Not to mention the INFP's I know usually shut down my ever so present optimism with constant melancholic remarks.

INFJ: I know one INFJ, yet another of my sisters. We have an almost magic connection, we both just get each other in a very special way. The problems arise when we have clashing values as we both have very very strong moral convictions. I have also noticed that my presence (the only extrovert of the 4 siblings) makes her light up, she seems more willing to try new things.

INTP: I also love INTP's. We always get up to so much mischief and I love love love their wit and sarcastic humor. One thing that always trips me up with INTP's though is their reluctance to talking about ~*feelings*~ with me but that's okay, sometimes it's nice to take a break from discussing and assessing my own and other's emotions.

ESFJ: I seem to get along with most ESFJ's, the relationship is usually very superficial and adventure orientated though. I can't just sit and vibe with them, we have to be DOING something.

ISFJ: ISFJ's tend to be who I turn to when I need a big hug and positive reinforcement. The ISFJ's I know have a presence that itself just feels healing. Like warm sunshine soaking into my skin.

ENTJ: A lot of ideas and fun come out of these relationships but they tend to be rocky. ENTJ's are a special brand of blunt that just upsets me no matter how irrational I know being upset by it is. I also seem to argue with them a lot, not debating like with ENTP's though, like actual arguments.

ESFP: I like ESFP's but they're weekend friends. Great to party with and they almost always keep up with me until Sunday (or Monday) morning. There's just usually no emotional depth to the relationships with this type for me.

ESTJ: I only know one ESTJ and he lives in my house. I get along with him but if we aren't doing tasks we don't talk very much. I just have no idea what to talk to him about, he tends to be very puzzled by my normal thought patterns.He's also very hard to read because he has a severe lack of facial expressions.

ENFJ: I only know one (confirmed) ENFJ but what I do know of him I love. Very open and warm, loves a lot of the same quirky things that I do. This is a relationship that is also usually full of fun and wonder.

undique

MBTI Type
INTP
I'm an INTP and feel like I always attract Fs as friends. I think this is because I "ground them" or something. I'm always the person people come to for "therapy" or advice because they know I'll give them perspective on whether they're acting rationally or out of their emotions. I love feelers, although I don't really understand them. A lot of my girlfriends are INFJs or ENFPs. The INFJs are wonderful people, but also crazy. Especially their romantic relationships seem to be such a rollercoaster I usually end up just throwing my hands up in the air and giving up. I think I'm drawn to them because they are complicated people but also warm and always sort of act as my personal cheerleaders. If I want to hear someone tell me how great I am, I go to one of my INFJ friends. ;) ENFP women I like a lot. They are the happy hippies in my life and for some reason they really like me. ENFP men are great, but exhausting for me to be around and way too intense, and I would never have a relationship with one. One of my closest male friends and former long term lover is an ENFP and while he is charming, funny, fun, wonderfully charismatic and lovable... good God, he's a slut and an emotional trainwreck. I also find ENFP men tend to be flatterers, and that comes off very disingenuous to me, which always puts me off.

I have always had a thing about INTJ men. They are the deep, mysterious assholes I found myself in unrequited love situations with when I was younger. A lot of them are fascinating and brilliant and a lot of them are total sociopaths. I can now spot an INTJ man a mile away. They are usually attracted to me intellectually and they are still my best bet for a real intellectual connection, but that whole aloof, tortured, brilliant man of mystery thing really has lost its appeal to me romantically. One of my best female friends is an INTJ, however, and she is one of the most amazing women I've ever met. She is also my lowest maintenance, lowest drama female friendship of all time.

INFPs are the bane of my existence. My mom is one and I've known several and dated a couple when I was younger. Really, they tend to like me, but I can't deal with the weepy, hyperemotional, depressive, irrational pity-parties. Many are spectacular people, but they bore me quickly. In romantic relationships, I end up steamrolling them.

I only know one other INTP well and he is awesome (of course!) He looks like a 14th century Scottish warrior but is a gentle giant, a feminist, extremely intelligent and empathetic and well versed in complex political issues. He definitely fits the INTP stereotype moreso than I do and spends most of his time behind a computer screen. He is who I call in during a Facebook debate when I can't be bothered to make a long-winded argument about whatever issue it is I'm on about because I know whatever he says, I'll agree with and it will be logically rock solid. Conversing with him is like conversing with myself sometimes and it's weird. I'd love to hang out with him more but he doesn't leave the house much.

I was involved with an ENTP who was also a clinical narcissist. We had a very intense, love-hate relationship, which was mostly based on sex and arguing. He argues, but for an NTP, not much logic was involved. Or, I should say, lots of rationalization was involved, but not much logic. Probably because he lacked basic empathy. Because, you know, narcissist. We still are on a board together for an organization and while we can actually work well together, we still argue. A lot.

My roommate is an ENFJ. We met on a first date but didn't have a second because he smothered me with obsessiveness and romantic gestures. He is infuriating in ways I cannot describe. He can, without trying, push every single button I have. At the same time, he is also someone I have come to love deeply as a friend. He is warm and generous and would do anything for someone he cares about. We have a great time together, but almost always hanging devolves into some dumb argument about something totally banal. He's incredibly inflexible about things he's already made up his mind about or decided he believes, so discussing abstract ideas or theoretically possibilities is basically impossible. He has a way of bating me into arguments I never wanted to get into and getting my blood pressure up... basically, he's kryptonite for the INTP. lol.

I dated an ISTP for almost 6 years. It was a stable, low maintenance relationship, but intellectually and physically unfulfilling. He was a great person--kind-hearted, loyal, smart, funny, laid back, would do anything for me-- but it was very difficult for me to connect with him. His life was sports and videogames and we didn't have much to talk about other than our job (we worked together.) It was a hard relationship to end because there was nothing "wrong", but also nothing "right."

The two most intense romantic relationships of my life have been with ENTJ men. Both are good looking, intelligent, charming, anal retentive, charismatic, emotionally level and great in bed. The first was hyper critical and not terribly appreciative of my INTP-ness. He loved me, but couldn't stand most things about me, like the fact I am a somewhat disorganized, messy, free spirited artist. He would turn me leaving a towel on the floor or burning dinner into a big schpeil about how that meant I didn't "respect him." Needless to say, it didn't work out, but I think he's chilled out a bit since. The second is my current boyfriend. I saw freakish similarities between him and my ex when we started dating. Then when I found out he was an ENTJ I was like, oh, that makes sense. He's a little older than my ex, 35 vs 25, and is a little more relaxed. He's still anal and very regimented, but I'm also much more organized and responsible than I was in my early 20s, so it seems to work. If I feel he's criticizing me or being too insensitive, I just tell him, and we communicate about what we are making each other feel. He rarely takes things personally or gets defensive. The healthiest thing about dating an ENTJ is that I never feel like I'm walking through an emotional minefield and when we say an argument or issue is in the past, it's actually in the past. One thing I love about ENTJs is that they're an open book. If something's bothering them, they will tell you directly and they will respect you being direct back. My relationships with Feelers have always been trainwrecks because I cannot handle passive aggressive, ambiguous bull shit. With my current boyfriend, there's no passive aggressive, ambiguous bull shit, and I'm pretty sure I'll end up marrying this one.

Merced

Talk to me.
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
28?
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
this seems super relevant, so here is a quote from a previous thread about my opinions and interactions with other NFs:
Just to preface this, these statements are based on my experiences with these types.

I have yet to come across an INFJ who is socially or mentally compatible with me. They are very nice and fun in short bursts, but prolonged 1-on-1 time with them is exhausting. If I had to describe them, I would have to say "imaginatively bland", because they are boring and close-minded in such a tactful and strategic way, that you have to give them credit. You would never know an INFJ is snooty and boring at first glance, because that's how good they are at not blending in to the tone of a room. But without a room to play off of, it's all eyerolls and shade tossing. Again, this is just with the 3 that I know in real life.

ENFJs aren't too bad. Out of all the NF types, I think I get along best with ENFJs. The few that I know (all two of them) are very hidden potential tier. Like, they have so much to offer to conversation and whatnot, but they will only do so when they have support backing them. Otherwise, if they don't feel comfortable, they will just facilitate and chaperone. My only complaint with them fundamentally is their urge to settle down. Not in the sense of marriage, but they seek definite and finite things. Their "How will this end?" style of thinking really conflicts with my way of doing things intentionally improv. That being said, because they are usually more mature in nature as compared to me, instead of it becoming a 'my way or the highway' or 'last one standing leads the way' (like it does with INFJs, which isn't a negative when in short bursts), ENFJs seem more willing to compromise. They are great leaders, just wish they would want to lead more.

INFPs are really polarizing to me. You either know a really cool INFP or an INFP with zero chill and negative energy. No in between. One thing that sticks out to me is that they talk a lot. I understand that's saying something coming from an ENFP, but it's not just that they are talkative. They are prone to borderline steamroll conversations when they get comfortable. Talk to an INFP about their hobbies and anything you say in response that isn't 100% in agreement is considered an attack. When they aren't talking about something they are passionate about, they use way too many words for no reason. It's not like they are even talking fast and they are filling space between statements because they are thinking too fast, they just like the sound of their voice and will take a mile when given an inch. Slightly off topic, but I really do think that INxPs are more hindered by their inferior function than any other type. I could rant all DAY about how inferior Fe is ungraceful, but inferior Te? It is inferiorating infuriating! It is one thing to have all these ideas and that opinionated attitude and all that individuality and all the genuinely badass stuff INFPs are known for, but to never actually do or act on all the things you are saying is physically painful.

Other ENFPs are actually sorta insufferable. I guess because deep down, I am at heart territorial and other ENFPs are too? I only know one other ENFP closely enough to acknowledge they are even an ENFP (and even then, the likelihood of them actually being an ESFP is super high). However, they are a different brand of ENFP. Where I have a better control over my judging functions, they have better control over their perceiving functions. Hate to admit it, but the other ENFP is way more creative and closer to the stereotype than I am. Though, that being said, I can say with a straight face that i am more competent and better with communicating to others. (Don't know how relative it is, but I'm a 278 and they're a 748.) When push comes to shove, we actually make a really good team and when we are together, those around us already know that someone is going to try to prove themselves. As I type this out, I am starting to realize that it's super fun to have that level of competitiveness with someone who thinks like me, as aggravating as both it and they can be. Hm... I think I need to meet more ENFPs before I can make any more conclusions on them.

I recently came to the conclusion that in terms of compatibility, NFs don't do well together. At the end of the day, I am 80% sure we have all have special snowflake syndrome (I blame the intuition bias) that gets triggered when we have to interact with ourselves. No matter how open-minded and willing to see new angles, an angle that is too similar to our own isn't met with excitement or joy, but with questioning and probing because if your view is valid then that might invalidate mine and it's integrity! I also think that NFs do best with SJs, not NTs. I just wrote a lot and every time I write more than a paragraph, I feel super pretentious, so I'll stop here.

AnonymousRomulus

MBTI Type
ENTP
Intelligent female ISFJ's are love and like I turn into a nice person and am still a troll but only a little bit and a lot more open.
Everyone else I'm probably just going to insult until they get annoyed with me then laugh at their reaction and then forget they exist like 5 minutes later.

GRKG

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
1w2
As an INFJ male, I have been exclusively with female ISFPs. I need the tenderness mixed with aloofness/independence and desire for self expression (also the physical aspects are BIG for both of us.) I understand them and forgive them far more easily than any other type. I have no idea why. I'm always in her corner and she's always in mine. We challenge each other in a positive, encouraging way. We also give each other lots of room to just "be". We're not smotherers. Honestly, couldn't be with any other type. Growth and love define us.

Friendships:

I love other INFJs (my mom and closest friend are INFJ). The rapport is phenomenal.

Also, ENTP/INTPs are very special to me; FUNNY as hell. The communication is so easy and the discussions are enlightening and challenging while still being fun.

I really don't get along with INTJs because I find discussions with them to be very narrow-minded, boring and their ego often shuts down the potential for growth. Easily the most irksome. My dad is an INTJ, he and my mom, INTJ and INFJ, were a toxic match to say the least. I have an INTJ friend, though. I try to open both up to new possibilities, but it's hard; draining to the max.

I have a close INFP male friend, he's my artistic muse haha. Incredible actor, painter, musician, hyper-sensitive; the INFP poster child.

I also have a very close female ENFP and male ISFJ friend (they dated once and it was on par with a nuclear disaster) but in a weird way they're similar. ENFPs can be hella fun out in public, even just going grocery shopping with them becomes a theatrical production! And the ISFJs are kind (though jealous) souls. But I'd trust him with my life.

I have three ENFJ friends, but they tend to chafe me. Too dogmatic and controlling. My one ENFJ female friend tried to wear me down to date her. Luckily that phased out once we both started dating other people. They are kind, considerate, and fiercely loyal. I feel very comfortable around them, but they can be too gossipy and stubborn. They might be more stubborn than INTJs. They also think they have the one and only map to the universe, and have all of its "black & white" secrets decoded, which is obnoxious.

My sister is an ESFP, she's scatter-brained and irresponsible but, again, good-natured and good-hearted. The only relationship I ever almost entered into that wasn't with an ISFP was with an ESFP (go figure...) but even though the connection was strong, she was too irresponsible for me. And, to be fair, had a lot of other issues not directly tied into myers briggs. It was interesting, because I wasn't initially physically attracted to her, and she kind of hated me haha (thought I was "difficult") but we grew to be very attracted to each other and emotionally-bonded. It was the first real "sneak up" I ever experienced.

As far as the other types, I really don't know. I think I have some ISTP and ESTP friends in the mix, but they're not who i would turn to for help or confide in. My former boss is an ESTP and he's a great guy, but very lost. He'd always talk about how he didn't understand how he ended up with two ex-wives...to ANYONE. I once heard him talking about it with a telemarketer haha! For an INFJ that's unthinkable! I swear, we were truly opposite personalities, but fundamentally shared core beliefs, which was why we worked pretty well together. He's also one of the most well-liked and sociable people I've ever met.

I'd say the ENTP/INTP and ESTP are the most beloved of the myers briggs. People just want to be around them. ENTPs and ESTPs are always the life of the party, in a non-obnoxious way.

ESTJs, don't know enough of them to have a solid impression. But their stereotype isn't my thing.

great_bay

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
I have never been in a relationship. I had a crush on an ESTP boy though

Ashtart

Obliviously Mad
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I barely talk to people at all, at least in real life, except for my SO who happens to be an INFP. I esteem INFPs and I tend to get along well with them.

On the internet though, I have an ENTP acquaintance who shares similar interests and so far ENTPs seem to be, along with INFPs, the best type for me to interact with. Then there are INTJs and INTPs. They are also types I usually get along with some easiness. ENFPs are generally easy to get along well, too, but I'm not acquainted with any ENFP.

Sensors, in general, are hard for me to interact. The only exception being, perhaps, ISTPs and ISFJs.
I have some interests that seem to be quite common among ISTPs and I like the type overall. I used to have an ISFJ friend and I had a really enriching experience with that friendship. I don't think I know any ISFPs but they must be quite interesting people from what I've seem on the internet.
I know two ISTJs and all I have to say about them is: meh.

I don't have much to say about these extroverts: ENFJ, ENTJ, ESTP, ESTJ, ESFJ, ESFPs. I'm yet to find interesting people of these types.