• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

ENFP and ISTP Relationships

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
We categorize things WAY differently. I have this pull w fine tune her categorization because it's very shallow and short sited. But alot of the world is. Abstract example is

Her: xyz is fun
Me: no its not it's abc you enjoy, it just so happens to be during xyz in this instance.
Her: yeah

Alot of stuff like that.

Sounds like a lot of conversations with my wife. I like to finetune definitions or come up with good analogies and metaphors for things she's talking about. Although she's pretty good with metaphor and analogy herself, though not so much with clear cut definitions.

Poki

MBTI Type
STP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Sounds like a lot of conversations with my wife. I like to finetune definitions or come up with good analogies and metaphors for things she's talking about. Although she's pretty good with metaphor and analogy herself, though not so much with clear cut definitions.

It's funny because the way we interact people look at the other waiting for them to blow up or get upset because of what was said. It's just alot of playful bickering. I will get on my soap box and she can't argue against me because I preach the truth, that alone makes her laugh and smile. Because she see the stupidity and the logic and the rational of what I preach about.

Her: does something stupid
Me: What he hell woman
Her: well I just thought
Me: stop thinking
Her: I was just trying
Me: just do this and this, see done

Then we stick our tongues at each other because we really don't care.

All said with the correct tone and inflection of arguing, but we could careless as it's things in life that really don't matter

And someone pointed out we will go behind each other and fix things. Neither one cares or even noticeS the other does it. After it was pointed out we still didn't care. Or if we do notice we adjust next time and do it thevery way they did or a middle ground.

ChocolateMoose123

Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
[MENTION=12103]Poki[/MENTION] I say "woman" also but only with women. It just feels right.

Poki

MBTI Type
STP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
This came up the other night, but I am the alpha in the relationship. Was out with some friends one time, tested isfj and an ENTP and she made the comment that he wears the pants, but she decides and picks which ones like most relationships. The common saying the women lets the man think he is in charge. Mine is the opposite, I am in charge and decide what pants she wears. My son even said that because what she says usually goes as long as I approve or I put my foot down. I don't really do that much though as I am good with her decision 99% of the time. She enjoys ibwear the pants, though I drive her nuts at times when I do decide...this is how its going be done. She respects me though like I respect her. She does confer with me ALOT as she doesn't really feel competent enough to make choices and take lead. I don't have the time to do it all, so alot falls on her shoulders as well and I can't tell you how many arguments we get into about her knocking herself down and me arguing that she is very competent and capable. Unlike most Ps though I don't appreciate the "tough" Je and really enjoy the more laid back P approach to things. We still get stuff done, we just do it in a more laid back approach then a J. I usually argue to just be yourself and find what works as opposed to knocking your P down and trying to be J. I think the key for a P is through P to be more J like, then to try and become J. Sounds stupid, but its what works. Having tried to figure out why.

ChocolateMoose123

Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
This came up the other night, but I am the alpha in the relationship. Was out with some friends one time, tested isfj and an ENTP and she made the comment that he wears the pants, but she decides and picks which ones like most relationships. The common saying the women lets the man think he is in charge. Mine is the opposite, I am in charge and decide what pants she wears. My son even said that because what she says usually goes as long as I approve or I put my foot down. I don't really do that much though as I am good with her decision 99% of the time. She enjoys ibwear the pants, though I drive her nuts at times when I do decide...this is how its going be done. She respects me though like I respect her. She does confer with me ALOT as she doesn't really feel competent enough to make choices and take lead. I don't have the time to do it all, so alot falls on her shoulders as well and I can't tell you how many arguments we get into about her knocking herself down and me arguing that she is very competent and capable. Unlike most Ps though I don't appreciate the "tough" Je and really enjoy the more laid back P approach to things. We still get stuff done, we just do it in a more laid back approach then a J. I usually argue to just be yourself and find what works as opposed to knocking your P down and trying to be J. I think the key for a P is through P to be more J like, then to try and become J. Sounds stupid, but its what works. Having tried to figure out why.

This might be a good idea for a thread in the SP Arthouse about SP roles in relationships. On a related note, my two best female friends (ENFJ and ESFP) were having a drink and discussing this exact topic. ENFJ is married to ISTJ former MMA fighter, and ESFP is married to (ISxP physical therapist). I am not married to an ENFP musician.

All of us are some pretty independent women but they were discussing how their roles in the relationship was not dominant and they preferred them this way. I don't mean to say that by non-dominance these women are passive - not so! Just, they like to follow, rather than lead.

I was listening to them and realized to myself that I couldn't be in a relationship where I wasn't leading. I always say me and the ENFP have a pilot/navigator relationship. I lead the way but ENFP guides me. I really enjoy that. It is egalitarian. We both have different strengths that complement each other.

Warrior Princess

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
[MENTION=12103]Poki[/MENTION] and [MENTION=5223]MDP2525[/MENTION],

Hi guys, since you are both ISTP's dating ENFP's I had a question.

I broke up with my ex who is an ISTP 3 weeks ago. We had been dating for 7 months. I am willing to tell the story if need be, but I am at work and right now I am at lunch.
Monday I texted and told him I missed him and he got right back to me saying he missed me and my smell (the smell part must be a sensor thing). Even when we were in a relationship he never texted me back that quick. I then texted "I will not beg nor will I expect but if you would like to call tomorrow night you welcome too." He immediately responded back with "Okay sweets, sounds good." He did not call, which was fine because I did not expect him to. Well Wednesday I was reflecting on our relationship and what I did wrong, and texted with apology for not trusting him enough. He got back to me 3 hours later and said that was not our issue, but he did not know what was the issue. I then texted "Sweetie I do not want to bother you, so if you want me to leave you alone please just say 'yes please'". He did not respond, we both have I-phones, so it shows me he read the text.

So after just typing out of my ass ;), my question is: Could he be keep me as an option while he dates around to find better? I have thought of many other possibilities as us ENFPs are great at, but that one seems most plausible, but I could be incorrect. If you have any questions or other thoughts please feel free to share. And please be blunt I always appreciated that about him. thanks :)

Poki

MBTI Type
STP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so

I broke up with my ex who is an ISTP 3 weeks ago. We had been dating for 7 months. I am willing to tell the story if need be, but I am at work and right now I am at lunch.
Monday I texted and told him I missed him and he got right back to me saying he missed me and my smell (the smell part must be a sensor thing). Even when we were in a relationship he never texted me back that quick. I then texted "I will not beg nor will I expect but if you would like to call tomorrow night you welcome too." He immediately responded back with "Okay sweets, sounds good." He did not call, which was fine because I did not expect him to. Well Wednesday I was reflecting on our relationship and what I did wrong, and texted with apology for not trusting him enough. He got back to me 3 hours later and said that was not our issue, but he did not know what was the issue. I then texted "Sweetie I do not want to bother you, so if you want me to leave you alone please just say 'yes please'". He did not respond, we both have I-phones, so it shows me he read the text.

So after just typing out of my ass ;), my question is: Could he be keep me as an option while he dates around to find better? I have thought of many other possibilities as us ENFPs are great at, but that one seems most plausible, but I could be incorrect. If you have any questions or other thoughts please feel free to share. And please be blunt I always appreciated that about him. thanks :)

He doesn't sound interested IMHO. When things are laid out I don't know any STPs that beat around the bush if they are interested and know you are as well. What you said was pretty blunt and to the point.

Warrior Princess

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
He doesn't sound interested IMHO. When things are laid out I don't know any STPs that beat around the bush if they are interested and know you are as well. What you said was pretty blunt and to the point.
Thank you, I believe you are correct. :)

Warrior Princess

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
so/sx

I do have another question, why won't he tell me he is not interested?

Poki

MBTI Type
STP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I do have another question, why won't he tell me he is not interested?

I would say typical reason based on what you say he is like and doing is that he really isn't giving anything much thought to what you say from his replies. Your simply present and not really something he wants to put much time into. So everything is hit or miss. If he is stringing you along or keeping you as an option he royally sucks at it.

ChocolateMoose123

Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

Without knowing back story, these exchanges sound like you are talking about one thing and he is thinking another.

He may have been communicating while you guys dated but I know in the past, when relationships have been complex - I err on not dealing with it if it feels too daunting.

So that also goes to what [MENTION=12103]Poki[/MENTION] said that he doesn't sound interested enough to do the work. Maybe just interested enough to be around if it isn't too much work on his part.

ISTP's can be efficient about their energy and in doing so be quite selfish that way.

Warrior Princess

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Without knowing back story, these exchanges sound like you are talking about one thing and he is thinking another.

He may have been communicating while you guys dated but I know in the past, when relationships have been complex - I err on not dealing with it if it feels too daunting.

So that also goes to what [MENTION=12103]Poki[/MENTION] said that he doesn't sound interested enough to do the work. Maybe just interested enough to be around if it isn't too much work on his part.

ISTP's can be efficient about their energy and in doing so be quite selfish that way.

Wow thank you so much, your explanation clicked, it rings very true. In fact I texted him just a few minutes ago and said I will leave him alone and bye, since I can see he is uninterested. He texted me right back and said "Sorrrrry suuuupppeerr busy :(" So I can clearly see he is interested enough as long as I am willing to put all the work into it.

Poki

MBTI Type
STP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Wow thank you so much, your explanation clicked, it rings very true. In fact I texted him just a few minutes ago and said I will leave him alone and bye, since I can see he is uninterested. He texted me right back and said "Sorrrrry suuuupppeerr busy :(" So I can clearly see he is interested enough as long as I am willing to put all the work into it.

How busy is he really? What's normal for him? Why did you break up? Need story :D

Warrior Princess

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
How busy is he really? What's normal for him? Why did you break up? Need story :D

Yes totally will give you guys the story when I get home. I so appreciate your advise and interest in the story. :)

Poki

MBTI Type
STP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Yes totally will give you guys the story when I get home. I so appreciate your advise and interest in the story. :)

Np, reminds me of a thread about an INTJ doing something similiar. I am super crazy busy...so may not respond quickly later...lol. Couldn't help myself :D

Warrior Princess

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Np, reminds me of a thread about an INTJ doing something similiar. I am super crazy busy...so may not respond quickly later...lol. Couldn't help myself :D

Haha love that you did that!

okay want to tag [MENTION=5223]MDP2525[/MENTION] in case she would like the back story as well.

So we met in person in June, we had met on a dating site. We met downtown at a place called sun dance square. We met at around 530 and did not depart until 1 in the morning, it genuinely was the best time of my life and he agreed it was very fun for him as well. We clicked instantly and he wanted to see me the next night so we hung out then as well. On our third date I asked when we were going out again, he said Friday, but did not give me a time or a place to meet. I was okay with that until Friday 530 pm came along and I had not heard from him, so I texted and ask what time and where was I meeting him and did not hear from him well at 730 I contacted a friend and decided to go out with them I texted him that and at 830 he texted and said "oh we can still hang out, there is still time", my issue was he could have communicated that earlier. I don't mind hanging out late but let me know, don't leave me hanging. So I went out with my friend instead and he texts "what am I supposed to do now go home and feel sad", I said that is up to you, but are you going to make it up to me. He said he would take me out the next night, I said okay but please give me a time I can meet him at his house. We went out and after that continued to date, but I look back and notice I was always the once asking when we would hang out, I did not see this as bad back then because I am an extrovert and he is an introvert. I caught him in 3 big lies and called him out on them and of course had an explanation, I made it clear I abhor lying. I told him not matter what be honest with me and I will be willing to work through anything. He also has an obsession with disc golf (Frisbee golf), I asked 4 different times was disc golf more important than me and all 4 times he said yes. Then towards the end of our relationship I asked will I ever come before disc gold he "Candy, don't ask me difficult questions, this early in the morning." I thought okay there my answer, but at the time I was like okay I will try to deal with that. I never had issues with him having that hobby, but he always put it above me. Now I have trust and insecurity issues, because I had a very traumatic childhood and was abused in every way you could think of, which he knew some of the history I told him. So I am by far not perfect and in October I had a miscarriage, and told him, he actually said he thought it was his fault, I took a lot of time to comfort and let him know it was not his fault. Then came the holidays which are hard for me, my aunt died November 2013, then my grandmother who raised me died that December, then the next month in January my mom died. So I with all of that I was a little sensitive, so I allowed a lot of emotional abuse on his end because of where I was emotionally. January is my birthday month and he did not even take me out until 12 days after when I asked him to and he said I was selfish for asking. I felt horrible and thought maybe I was being selfish, but then he kept being rude about it. There were so many other stories. But what made me break up with him was when he kept making excuses not to see me, would not take my calls, nor respond to my texts. So I took his stuff to his house and put it on his door, then texted him I did so, he finally contacted me and told me thanks. I asked did he want it to end he said he thought so, I then asked why did he not man up and end himself, he did not respond.

There is so much more but I typed a lot already, so I believe that is the gist of it. He is a good guy with some great qualities, but us together seems to be toxic. So after typing this, doing more reflection, and talking with my dad, who is one of the most laid back people and very objective(but he was pissed hearing the story, and told me this man messed with my mind), I realize it is not a good idea in anyway to get back with this man. Now realize you are only my side of the story, so I am sure his side is different. My room mate could not believe he called me pushy, she said I am the most gentle person she knows, I explained to her I did get pushy with him because I felt like I had to be with him. But I hated every minuted of having to be pushy that is not me naturally. Oh since the miscarriage I have had some severe female issues I have to have surgery Tuesday, I actually am taking off tomorrow for my pre-operation appointments. I reminded him, but he has not offered to be there for me, he wants to know how it went but he did not even go with me when I had to go to the hospital after miscarriage, but a close friend from London and one from DC made sure to call me during that time and checked on me several times that day, he did not. I understand I allowed this to happen so it is mainly fault for that reason and for me to have the audacity to want him back, I have lost my mind. I can and should forgive him, but I do not have to have him back in my life.

Sorry so much, and there was so much I left out. Thanks guys for your advice and letting me vent! :) My dad already let me have it for allowing myself to be treated like this. He said you used to speak up, what happened? I copped out and sung "Magic man" by Hart, instead of Mama I sung "dad try to understand , try to understand he is magic man" lol. I am glad my dad has the same sense of humor as me.

Poki

MBTI Type
STP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
[MENTION=27316]Warrior Princess[/MENTION] i am with your dad. I can tell you going forward and I capitalize due to importance. Not yelling. DO NOT LET ANYONE GUILT TRIP YOU, that is shit and shows a weak ass woah is me asshole that puts himself first. Like I have said to other ENFPs if you have to qualify him as a good guy followed by a ", but" turn and run. Also, don't let anyone put anything before you, especially stupid shit like disc golf. You deserve much better then that just as a person.

ChocolateMoose123

Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
[MENTION=27316]Warrior Princess[/MENTION]

So just based on his response that you went out with your friends when he bailed, "what am I supposed to do feel sad?" comment...

Straight up douchebag. (That comment had only one point which is to make you feel sorry for him).

Sounds like you were being honest and he knew your feelings for him and used them to his benefit only.

Not even going into the miscarriage. I am sorry you dealt with that and are dealing with physical and emotional backlash from it now.

I learned the hard way that the character of someone with small things is the way they will behave when shit really goes down and based on your third date - his actions were consistent with a lack of character or concern for you up until now.

There are good people out there of all types and you'll be met more than halfway by them. :)

Poki

MBTI Type
STP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
So we had an argument last night about counter tops. She had to let me know it was an argument...no yelling, etc. To me it was disagreement, discussions, opinions, etc. But I guess technically it was an argument...I don't know. This is how most of our arguments go. We listened to each other, we found a compromise, and we went on our day.

ChocolateMoose123

Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
So we had an argument last night about counter tops. She had to let me know it was an argument...no yelling, etc. To me it was disagreement, discussions, opinions, etc. But I guess technically it was an argument...I don't know. This is how most of our arguments go. We listened to each other, we found a compromise, and we went on our day.

I have quartz (silestone - luna) in mine. Love it but I'm a high end bitch when it comes to materials. ;)