• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

INTJ and INFP Relationships

Patrick

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx
I have an idealist pull when it comes to relationships. Of course, individual ideal, not some general consensus ideal.
Same here. I was always bound and determined to meet the right woman for me. And I'm certain that I did. (Unfortunately I idealized her so much, especially in the beginning, that I started feeling disappointed and she probably felt unrecognized. But we got past that, and thus I learned that my very idealism could be part of the problem.)

PeaceBaby

reborn
MBTI Type
N/A
Enneagram
N/A
Why "focus effort in growth" when you're deliriously happy half the time and contented the rest of the time?

I'm trying to see the appeal of growth when you put it like this... :thinking:

Patrick

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx
I'm trying to see the appeal of growth when you put it like this... :thinking:
Ever see the episode of the original Star Trek series where the crew transports down to a planet where plants shoot out "happiness spores"? Everybody is in such a state of bliss that they forget all about space exploration or fulfilling their mission.

Poki

MBTI Type
STP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Ever see the episode of the original Star Trek series where the crew transports down to a planet where plants shoot out "happiness spores"? Everybody is in such a state of bliss that they forget all about space exploration or fulfilling their mission.

Ehh...life is about enjoyment. I enjoy physical labor and mental challenges. That's happily to me...oh and sex. Yeah...that's my life in a nutshell...physical labor, mental challenges, and sex

PeaceBaby

reborn
MBTI Type
N/A
Enneagram
N/A
Ever see the episode of the original Star Trek series where the crew transports down to a planet where plants shoot out "happiness spores"? Everybody is in such a state of bliss that they forget all about space exploration or fulfilling their mission.]

Ya, I know. I've been married to an ESTJ for 26 years, so I do see the virtues of a match of opposites (or partial opposites) and I tell myself I like to challenge my "growth points" too.

I was simply joking you a bit. ;)

grey_beard

The Typing Tabby
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Naw, in response to a poke like that, an ESTJ would just call you annoying and stupid and move on. Or "you suck, get better".

What does averting conflict look like? I thought OA telling you to take a hike was pretty direct actually, not seeing conflict aversion there. She doesn't want to talk to you anymore when you're dictating the terms of interaction without 'give and take'. If you don't think you're emanating a whole lot of emotions about your past, here, you'd be incorrect. Your inner core contains a lot of inconsistency in this area and a great deal of prejudice and irrationality. It permeates your posts discussing the subject matter, and it's a very heavy taint to try to overlook. That's partly why OA doesn't want to engage you in discussion, because your bias leaks out and is often projected onto her posts. It's annoying. And we only have words here to deal with that, and striking up a common ground with you would take a lot of time and energy on her part. You are worth it, ultimately as a fellow human being, but in this venue, it's harder to address.

You know what's interesting about this? The only profile to contain the word "overreaction" (at least in the relationship section) is the INFP one. Does this mean that INFPs are the only types to overreact? Of course not, as all types have an area of sensitivity and thus the word is equally applicable to all, depending on the situation. Interesting though how INFPs are the ones who must become "calm" and "more objective". Can anyone here say "projection"? INFPs sure get a lot of garbage projected onto the type.

And idk, I think if I got any calmer irl I'd slip into a coma.

Sorry, but that *immediately* brought this to mind :D :wink:

a66fb73bb66b268ecb158c9f662722a5.jpg

...and, for our esteemed combatants, [MENTION=6561]OrangeAppled[/MENTION] and [MENTION=20044]chubber[/MENTION]:

Vnk_hyTIDX.jpg

grey_beard

The Typing Tabby
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Ehh...life is about enjoyment. I enjoy physical labor and mental challenges. That's happily to me...oh and sex. Yeah...that's my life in a nutshell...physical labor, mental challenges, and sex
Ehhh, I believe [MENTION=4827]Patrick[/MENTION] already mentioned "happiness spores"...:dry:

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Only one minor nitpick, and that in defense of the INTJ Armoured Regiment. You had written:

If you do not focus on something enough to note it to begin with, then you cannot remember it. The idea that a Ni-dom would remember factual details better is hilarious, then.

*If* those details have been delivered in written form, the INTJ will snarf them up like a computer reading native assembler code. If you mean tactile, sensory, social, details, then, sadly, you are right; the idea of an Ni-dom picking up on significance there is hilarious to the point of farce. (Facepalm over 9,000.)

Certainly, but then they are choosing to focus on what they are reading. I would bet most N types will still focus on the concepts in what they are reading over dry facts, as far as what will be most striking to them, contemplated, and remembered better later.

grey_beard

The Typing Tabby
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Certainly, but then they are choosing to focus on what they are reading. I would bet most N types will still focus on the concepts in what they are reading over dry facts, as far as what will be most striking to them, contemplated, and remembered better later.
Hmmm. I think we're talking about too broad a category here; you're talking about the West Coast and I'm talking about New England, so to speak.
Let me try rephrasing this way. The INTJ *will* remember facts and data under the following conditions:
1) they fit into an existing Ni-construct (or are of service of extending it), or help building one in a new area
2) the data are about a topic or person of interest. <-- that latter case, btw, is one of the few cases a generic INTJ will exhibit Se: noting changes in hairstyle, new shoes, that kind of thing.
They may have to dig for "what" it is that changed, but INTJs are masters of "management by difference", of noticing anomalies.

Mutating the topic, slightly. The bad guy in Silence of the Lambs, Hannibal Lecter. In the sequel Hannibal it described his mind as something of a mansion with many divisions and rooms and categories in it, of retiring to one room or another to replay memories; of another INTJ who literally memorized whole books and could close his eyes and read them in his mind; another INTJ who, claimed to have remembered everything he ever read (for example, given *any* line in Paradise Lost, could quote back either the preceding or following line); I have read of another INTJ describing their mind like a library with everything on shelves (the "Huey, Louie, and Dewey" decimal system, I guess).

Is the INFP like this, deep categorization and retrieval, with respect to moral--human worth--values classifications, structured according to their own internal hierarchy? (And able to superimpose others' perceived sets of values, for a time, like the old toy viewer?

images

Honest replies only. Snark redirected to /dev/null.

Rambling

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
When it's ready to be written, you'll know. It *needs* to come out. (Having written essays of mine own, under internal compulsion.)

Yes, but in my case my INTJ side has anxiously subcontracted it to the internal INFP, and the resultant internal nagging that results...:butterflee::butterflee::17425::17425::rules:

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Theoretically. But in practice, compatibility makes life so cozy that the couple typically becomes complacent. Why "focus effort in growth" when you're deliriously happy half the time and contented the rest of the time?
For some of us, growth is a necessary precondition for happiness or contentment.

Patrick

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx
For some of us, growth is a necessary precondition for happiness or contentment.
Maybe on some level that's true for everybody. But growth implies change, and people generally resist change. How many would pass up a shot at eternal bliss--a permanently static state that leaves one with no complaints whatsoever?

Besides, if you're in a process of growth, it means you're currently lacking; your full potential is always out of reach. Doesn't that sound frustrating?

Fairy tales end with "happily ever after"; the story doesn't go on from there. I think that implies that marriage, like heaven, is a state of eternal bliss. If real life isn't like that, I'm guessing many people wish it were.

Coriolis

Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Maybe on some level that's true for everybody. But growth implies change, and people generally resist change. How many would pass up a shot at eternal bliss--a permanently static state that leaves one with no complaints whatsoever?

Besides, if you're in a process of growth, it means you're currently lacking; your full potential is always out of reach. Doesn't that sound frustrating?
No. The opposite sounds boring: nothing more to learn or to discover; nothing new ahead; being just the same until the end of your days.

chubber

failed poetry slam career
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
No. The opposite sounds boring: nothing more to learn or to discover; nothing new ahead; being just the same until the end of your days.

The constant push and pull is a necessary "evil" to not become complacent. And INFPs don't like to "fight" or even play fight. They don't get it and don't need it either. It's like trying to talk to a wall from our point of view. Now I'm sure they will pick this up as me being "passive aggressive" and talking negative about them. When I am saying, they are not good enough for me, it doesn't mean that they are not good enough or bad people.

:doh:

That's why I feel that when I deal with an IxFP, I might as well deal with an ExFJ. The functions are in the same order. e.g. Feeling-Dominant, iNtuition-Auxiliary, except for the opposites attitudes of the functions. It's a very broad and general statement to make, because it overlooks the specifics of the functions, that makes them different. But to me, they look like two sides of the same coin.

I've noticed that some say, the INFPs will say that INTJs have tertiary "Fi, that tertiary Fi means nothing. We are not aware and when we do happen to use it, it is only used when we are in our shadow (bad version of an ESFP). We only get to be our shadow, when we are angry/depressed/mad state. Then they might be able to make us more aware of our Fi. But who wants to live in their shadow state all the time? Neither does the INFP want to be the bad version of an ESTJ all the time.

I personally think INTJs who are irrational (introverted iNuition) dominants, need to pair up with other irrational (Se/i or Ne/i) dominants.

Sure it can work between an INTJ and INFP, if they are both aware that things will not work out the same way the Ne-dominant will work out with an Ni-dominant and also the Fi-dominant (rational) with the Fe-dominant (rational).

meh :weirdbanana:

INTJ RELATIONSHIPS

In romance, people with the INTJ personality type approach things the way they do with most situations: they compose a series of calculated actions with a predicted and desirable end goal – a healthy long-term relationship. Rather than falling head over heels in a whirlwind of passion and romance, INTJs identify potential partners who meet a certain range of pre-determined criteria, break the dating process down into a series of measurable milestones, then proceed to execute the plan with clinical precision.

In a purely rational world, this is a fool-proof methodology – but in reality, it ignores significant details that INTJs are likely to dismiss prematurely, such as human nature. INTJs are brilliantly intellectual, developing a world in their heads that is more perfect than reality. People entering this world need to fit this fantasy, and it can be incredibly difficult for INTJs to find someone up to the task. Needless to say, finding a compatible partner is the most significant challenge most INTJs will face in life.

Politeness Is Artificial Good Humor

Sentiment, tradition, and emotion are INTJs' Achilles Heel. Social standards like chivalry are viewed by INTJs as silly, even demeaning. The problem is, these standards have developed as a means of smoothing introductions and developing rapport, of managing expectations, the basis of personal relationships. INTJs' propensity for frank honesty in word and action tends to violate this social contract, making dating especially difficult for them.

As they mature, INTJs will come to recognize these factors as relevant, incorporating pace and emotional availability into their plans. But the meantime can be dangerous, especially for more Turbulent INTJs – if they are shot down too many times they may come to the conclusion that everyone else is simply too irrational, or simply beneath them intellectually. If cynicism takes hold, INTJs may end up falling into the trap of intentionally displaying intellectual arrogance, making solitude their choice rather than happenstance.

Always Remain Cool

The positive side of INTJs' “giving up” is that they are most attractive when they aren't trying to be attractive, working in a familiar environment where their confidence and intelligence can be seen in action. Allowing others to come to them is often INTJs' best strategy, and if they perceive a potential to the relationship, they will spare no effort in developing and maintaining stability and long-term satisfaction.

As their relationships develop, INTJs' partners will find an imaginative and enthusiastic companion, who will share their world and at the same time grant a huge degree of independence and trust. While INTJs may never be fully comfortable expressing their feelings, and may spend more time theorizing about intimacy than engaging in it, they can always be relied upon to think out a mutually beneficial solution to any situation.

INTJs seek strong, deep relationships, and trust their knowledge and logic to ensure that their partner is satisfied, both intellectually and physically.​

But when it comes to emotional satisfaction, INTJs are simply out of their element. Not every partner has the sort of fun INTJs do in addressing conflicts and emotional needs as puzzles to be analyzed and solved. Sometimes emotions need to be expressed for their own sake, and putting every outburst under the microscope isn't always helpful. If this becomes habit, or INTJs think it may, they are capable of simply ending the relationship, rather than dragging things out.

source: INTJ Relationships | 16Personalities
INTJs have no problem walking away from a relationship and moving on very quickly. People aren't our thing, we give up on people pretty quickly, but not the same when it comes to analytical technical challenge. That's (people) the INFP's strength.

grey_beard

The Typing Tabby
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
The constant push and pull is a necessary "evil" to not become complacent. And INFPs don't like to "fight" or even play fight. They don't get it and don't need it either.
I have found that trying to strip things down to their basic structural intellectual elements -- and, as part of the process, leaving aside "for the moment" the social implications...both of the topics under the microscope, and the social implications of 'using the microscope' -- can drive INFPs batty. Some INFPs who are either more mature, or more experienced, are able to put up with leaving aside the social considerations involved with the topics being analyzed, _temporarily_. But to do so puts great stress upon their running gears.

It's like trying to talk to a wall from our point of view. Now I'm sure they will pick this up as me being "passive aggressive" and talking negative about them. When I am saying, they are not good enough for me, it doesn't mean that they are not good enough or bad people.

:doh:

The ability to set one's own self outside while doing the analysis (and the significant others one is in a relationship with), is a no-go zone, like a space without air. For while the Te lives in the world of impersonal fact, and can be used as a sensitive tool for plucking specks out of others' eyes, the INFP is unable to forget the log in the INTJ's eye. And, for that matter, in their own eye, but using that fault to approach issues from the inside, from common humanity: for the INFP lives in the world of self, the world of being, not data.

That's why I feel that when I deal with an IxFP, I might as well deal with an ExFJ. The functions are in the same order. e.g. Feeling-Dominant, iNtuition-Auxiliary, except for the opposites attitudes of the functions. It's a very broad and general statement to make, because it overlooks the specifics of the functions, that makes them different. But to me, they look like two sides of the same coin.

This sounds very insightful, and like it's based on experience. But it's totally outside of anything I've dealt with. Could you give a couple of examples of the functions on either side, how they play out?

I've noticed that some say, the INFPs will say that INTJs have tertiary "Fi, that tertiary Fi means nothing. We are not aware and when we do happen to use it, it is only used when we are in our shadow (bad version of an ESFP). We only get to be our shadow, when we are angry/depressed/mad state. Then they might be able to make us more aware of our Fi. But who wants to live in their shadow state all the time? Neither does the INFP want to be the bad version of an ESTJ all the time.

That's true, *unless* the INTJ has been very introspective in general, *or* if the subject discussed with the INFP is one the INTJ has long ruminated on. In that case, the INTJ may be able to couch things in emotional- or value-laden terms...or at least not in terms of coupled differential equations :nerd: : close enough that the INFP, who is long accustomed to gaining insight by internalizing the heart-space of another, can siphon off true meaning from it. And if the INTJ can trust enough to show their tertiary Fi in the raw, virgin Fi, "untrammeled by human hands" ...well, for the INFP, it can be like drinking raw nectar. But that has its own risks for the INTJ, when the INFP happens to get bored, or gets distracted by a passing squirrel, and disappears without bothering to close the INTJ's cell wall first, *or* the INTJ hits an undisclosed INFP values land-mine and the INFP goes into rabid-cat mode, blurting out terrible truths, reducing the insides of the INTJ to quivering ribbons.

(I'm sure the INFPs have their own perspective on the above; and what's more, have their own catalogue of the INTJ's sins. The terrible sterile aridity of the INTJ exterior must be like suffocation or something, and I'll bet day-to-day *living* with the INTJ, who says "I love you" once and thinks that settles matters for the next thirty years, together with the endless pursuit of TRUTH to the umpteenth decimal place, regardless of its effect on harmony and affirmation, can be like being caught in the garbage compactor on the Death Star in Star Wars...)

[Note to any INFPs lurking on this thread: did I get that last paragraph close enough?]

I personally think INTJs who are irrational (introverted iNuition) dominants, need to pair up with other irrational (Se/i or Ne/i) dominants.

Sure it can work between an INTJ and INFP, if they are both aware that things will not work out the same way the Ne-dominant will work out with an Ni-dominant and also the Fi-dominant (rational) with the Fe-dominant (rational).

meh :weirdbanana:

So what *you're* saying, chubber (frantically returning to Te mode for air!) is that that the INTJ is like pi (infinite precision, but still irrational despite all the numbers floating around), and the
INFP is imaginary (requiring contour integration to handle their poles in the complex plane). :pedantic: :wtf: :wub:

(snip)
In a purely rational world, this is a fool-proof methodology – but in reality, it ignores significant details that INTJs are likely to dismiss prematurely, such as human nature.
Rub it in, why don't you?

Sentiment, tradition, and emotion are INTJs' Achilles Heel. Social standards like chivalry are viewed by INTJs as silly, even demeaning. The problem is, these standards have developed as a means of smoothing introductions and developing rapport, of managing expectations, the basis of personal relationships. INTJs' propensity for frank honesty in word and action tends to violate this social contract, making dating especially difficult for them.

As they mature, INTJs will come to recognize these factors as relevant, incorporating pace and emotional availability into their plans. But the meantime can be dangerous, especially for more Turbulent INTJs – if they are shot down too many times they may come to the conclusion that everyone else is simply too irrational, or simply beneath them intellectually. If cynicism takes hold, INTJs may end up falling into the trap of intentionally displaying intellectual arrogance, making solitude their choice rather than happenstance.
I personally have come to hold, that this is because many INTJs are bewildered by the complex give-and-take of changing situations and half-truths depending on the timing, situation, and audience; and in being blunt and too honest, are merely offering that clarity which they long for from others. But most other people don't *want* their inner parts exposed, cleaned, polished, re-aligned, and oiled: especially not in public. (WTF are you NUTS?!!) Many others would rather have the issue hinted at from one or two questions away, and vague validations given (as Billy Joel sang in Piano Man,
"...they're sharing a drink they call loneliness, but it's better than drinking alone."

The INFP is somehow deft enough to touch on others' internals in an non-threatening way, temporarily metamorphosize *into* the other person, and somehow lead them out of the quicksand one step at a time, or absorb the pain. (see the Star Trek episode The Empath; see also "magical healing rays"...)

Am I allowed to say I am in awe?

INTJs have no problem walking away from a relationship and moving on very quickly. People aren't our thing, we give up on people pretty quickly, but not the same when it comes to analytical technical challenge. That's (people) the INFP's strength.

Aye, that's true. But INFPs can doorslam too -- the difference is the INFP can feel every drop and throb of the pain (their own and the slam-ee), and yet derive nourishment from that pain in the long term
("...then he remembers all this, and boils it inside him and makes it into poems and wisdom.") <-- Egads! That almost sounded like a description of Bukowski.

Patrick

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx
Huh--interesting. I've heard a lot of people say that, but I don't know if it's type-related. My INTJ wife complains about boredom a thousand times more often than I do, though.

The religion I've followed for over forty years teaches that there's always a plus element--that there's never any end to personal or spiritual growth/unfoldment, but it just goes on and on. I acknowledge and believe that, but quite frankly I miss my childhood Catholic teaching about eternal bliss in heaven. What could conceivably be better than eternal bliss? Nothing I can imagine.

The Talking Heads may have called heaven "the place where nothing ever happens." But as far as I'm concerned, that's just a failure to understand the term "eternal bliss." If there's eternal bliss, there's no boredom, no discontentment--nothing the least bit unpleasant in any way. It's the fairy-tale ending ("and they lived happily ever after") come true.

I'm guessing this difference in outlook may tie in with the Reinin dichotomy Static/Dynamic. Most INFPs are EII and static, and most INTJs are ILI and dynamic (if the link between Myers-Briggs and Socionics holds up). My INTJ wife doesn't get why I tend to "freeze-frame" things and speak of changes as a series of fixed chapters rather than ongoing processes. Meanwhile I don't get how she can live with a constant process of change; it would wear me out in no time.

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
My INTJ wife doesn't get why I tend to "freeze-frame" things and speak of changes as a series of fixed chapters rather than ongoing processes. Meanwhile I don't get how she can live with a constant process of change; it would wear me out in no time.

Change is an ongoing process. It has to be. You just frame in fixed chapters with a beginning and an end. That doesn't mean that's how it really is.

Not at all and I don't feel growth means you're lacking anything. I want to know what that is, what is over there, what is this made of, where does that road go. When you say reaching your full potential, you're putting some kind of limit on a person. I don't see it that way.

Coriolis

Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I disagree with this analysis of our tert Fi. Of course we don't use it in the same way as an Fi dom/aux, but it means much more than nothing. Remember, Fi is not emotions, it is subjective judgment, which includes our values. Most INTJs I know have strong values which underly our actions. Though we rely on objective analysis to implement Ni-based visions, when we describe why we are doing something and why it is important, we are tapping into our values, and our Fi.

Quite true. Technical challenges, after all, are far more tractable.

Patrick

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx
Change is an ongoing process. It has to be. You just frame in fixed chapters with a beginning and an end. That doesn't mean that's how it really is.
I'm getting mightily tired of people in this forum claiming to know all about reality--and how their view of reality is "how it really is," while mine must be some kind of weird fairy tale or distorted misconception. I've gotten that from a few people just in the past week (all NTs, IIRC). Each of us may perceive reality in a different way, and this is a fine place to discuss the differences. IMO it's entirely out of place to say or imply that you see how reality actually is, whereas others merely frame reality in various ways.

That said, I'll mention that my INTJ wife, when I explained Reinin's Static/Dynamic dichotomy to her, expressed disbelief in the Static view. She couldn't imagine that anyone would see things that way.

I think the difference can also be explained in terms of interaction styles. Chart-the-Course types (including INTJs) focus on process, while Behind-the-Scenes types (including INFPs) focus on outcomes. For the INFP (and seven other types), there's usually an interest in getting past the process (including any process of change) to the desired result or outcome.

I'd say that's tied in with the "static" view of developments. When something is completed, the INFP might say, "We did a bunch of stuff and then finally arrived at our goal, and it's great to have made it." The INTJ might say, "We did this, and then we did that, and then we did these other things, making various adjustments along the way, and it was a fun but challenging process ... and, oh yeah, we got to where we were headed, of course, but now we're on to something else."

Not at all and I don't feel growth means you're lacking anything. I want to know what that is, what is over there, what is this made of, where does that road go. When you say reaching your full potential, you're putting some kind of limit on a person. I don't see it that way.
I'm sure you're right. But it's still discouraging to me when, after a long effort, I finally reach the crest of a hill, only to see that the path goes on and on over more and more hills. Each time I near a crest, I'm thinking, "This may be it! Could be we've almost arrived at the place we were headed to." And then my heart sinks when it turns out the destination is still far off. It's immeasurably worse if pursuing the goal is like chasing the horizon or the end of the rainbow. Without the joy of arrival and the reward of resting on my laurels, no journey ever seems worthwhile to me.

Yeah, some time long after the celebration, I'll probably grow tired of the plateau I've reached, and then I'll be ready for another journey. But that's for the future. And when that day comes, it'll feel to me like a brand-new journey, not part of some never-ending process.